My Sister is Dying

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by 1001001, Dec 27, 2008.

1. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I'd like to share a bit about my personal life, particularly what my family is going through and why I haven't been around much.

Simply put, my sister is dying.

I have just the one sibling. She's 38 years old. She is an alcoholic, and 8 months ago she was diagnosed with cirhossis of the liver.

She decided not to go into rehab or therapy or anything else. Over the past 6 months or so, she's been in the hospital 7 or 8 times. She always leaves AMA (against medical advice) and goes home to drink some more.

About 2 weeks ago, she went into the hospital again, jaundiced and incoherent. Her liver and kidneys are failing. The hospital told her there was nothing more they could do. They had her sign up for hospice care. The Medical Director subsequently told her she had two more weeks to live. That was 5 days ago.

My family has elected me to deal with it. I am in constant touch with the hospice staff, who have been great, even in the face of my sister's craziness. They are trying to keep her comfortable. I am arranging the funeral, in steady contact with the cemetary. Today at work, I took 5 calls from hospice staff regarding my sister and her care as she prepares to die.

Alcoholism is so insane. It's a surreal experience. I suppose moreso because of what I do. Among other things, I run a licensed residential treatment center for the dually-diagnosed. And yet there has been absolutely nothing I can do.

In any event, very soon, perhaps as little as a few days, I will be going home to bury my baby sister. Our whole family will be there of course. Our Dad. Our Grandpa. Various aunts, uncles, and cousins. And we will stand at her grave, wondering what alcoholism has robbed the world of. Again.

Please think positive thoughts for my family and I. If I disappear for a while, you'll understand why.

2. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I don't really have words, but ... my thoughts are with you and your family.

I'm so, so sorry.

3. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

You and your family are in my thoughts.

4. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

Digits, I'm so sorry bro, you and your family are in my prayers.

5. freak

freak Commodore Commodore

OMG, I'm so sorry about this! You know, Dad has some friends who are alchoholics and have cirosis of the liver as well. They continue to drink heavily and are both paying for it cause they both are beginning to show signs of swelling of the face and stomach. It's a husband and wife that are usually at the baseball games when we go. I always wonder how those two ever get home safely cause they are always drunk and they usually drive themselves home. The wife is BEAUTIFUL but she looks pregnant even though she's not because of the alchohol. Alchoholism is a strange illness but it is an illness indeed. And to think that your sister is going through this..in a way, she's being selfish to you and to your family. And I'll bet you feel obligated to take care of her cause no one else will. In another way, they are making you the enabler, which probably causes conflict in the family. I'm so sorry to read about this. My thoughts and prayers go out to you especially and your family. This is a tough time to die!

6. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I will be thinking about you and your family 1001001.

7. judexavier

judexavier Commander Red Shirt

1001001, my prayers are with you, your family, and your sister.

8. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

so sorry you and your family are going through all this.
    sometimes what you are doing.. trying to ensure her last moments are comfortable are the only things one can do in face of a determined addict.

in the end all one can do is offer the path that an addict can take to kick their addiction and support if they chose to do so.
    but when they reject that sometimes all one can do is stand aside and wait for the end.

and yes hospice is a wonderful thing.

9. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Of course.
    Indeed. :(

I'm sorry, digits. What a dreadful thing to have to deal with.

10. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

I'm so very sorry for you and your family Digits. I can't begin to fathom the anguish you must be feeling. You and your's will be in my thoughts and prayers.

11. Bears Discover Fire

Bears Discover Fire Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Digits, words fail me.

You have my condolences and my thoughts.

12. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Alcohol liver disease is one of the saddest illnesses to suffer, especially when it comes to the final stages - physically, physiologically, emotionally, and spiritually crushing for not only the person in question, but undoubtedly for their loved ones. My thoughts are with you and your family too, digits.

13. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Sorry to hear about that Digits. Be strong.

14. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm very sorry to hear that, Digits. I have a younger sister myself, and I can only imagine how I'd feel in your shoes.

15. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As do I Canadadave,
    I cant imagine what 1001001 is going through.
    Good thoughts and prayers to 1001001 and his sister and family in this difficult time.

16. Aurian

Aurian Vice Admiral Admiral

My heart goes out to you and your family. As I work in social services I often work with the alcoholics, hoping that they see the light and not end up like your sister do. I only work "for them" and am not related to them. Still it breaks my heart sometimes.
    I hope this time will be the best it can be, and that your sister finds her rest.
    All my thoughts and care sent your way..

17. hamudm

hamudm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My best thoughts are with you and your family. Know that you have friends here.

18. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

Oh Digits! :(

*Hugs*
    Make that huge hugs. :(

19. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Nothing I can say will be adequate, but I truly wish you, your sister, and the rest of your family the best during this crisis.

Having felt helpless myself in the face of an alcoholic who doesn't want to quit even after hitting the proverbial rock bottom, I sympathize completely with your unenviable situation.

Good luck.

20. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, I'm speechless. :(

You have my condolences. I'll think good thoughts for you and your family.