Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Not sure if anyone else has addressed this, but I will.

If ya remember, that sequence ended with the helicopters gettin' caught in a web that Spidey had put up between the towers of the World Trade Center. The teaser came out before 9/11 and was immediately pulled from theaters after 9/11, and the scene was cut from the movie.

Not sure how many folks would even remember, but there was a lot of stupid shit goin' on with movies after 9/11. Folks were sayin' the second LotR needed to be renamed from The Two Towers. Others were sayin' the "flooded New York" endin' for A.I. needed to be changed since it showed a future that still had the WTC. Collateral Damage got postponed from its release date...but that actually made sense.

I think there's still one glimpse of the WTC that made it into the first Spider-Man movie, and that was a reflection in Spidey's mirrored eyes.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember that first teaser. My brother has one of the first teaser poster's from "Spider-Man" with Spidey climbing up a glass building and I think you can see the twin towers in that poster, I could be wrong about that.

I was reading the cinemablend description of the 3D trailer and the blogger stated that it looks really good in 3D compared to what we saw in the regular teaser.

3. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Totally agree. The main feeling that this trailer inspired in me was, "This film is totally unnecessary." Nothing they showed us really excited me or made me terribly inclined to see to see the film.

4. JonnyQuest037

Okay, now THAT'S cool. If there was that much fun in the trailer, I'd be excited for the movie. As it stands right now, I'm not even sure if I want to see it.

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Not if Joss Whedon is writing it. The weaker the woman, the more men she can easily take down.

That scene was made for the trailer only. It was never going to be part of the movie.

6. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

That's what I was trying to imply. I don't want Black Widow to go all "River VS Reavers" on the enemies.

7. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not really excited for yet another Spider-Man origin film, but I love Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man. I'll check out the movie, but I really hope he's in the costume by the end of Act 1. The Sam Raimi film is barely ten years old and everybody's seen it, just gimme a great Spider-Man adventure.

8. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

You summed it up nicely. I totally agree.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

This movie is no more or less necessary than the first three were.

I've never understood that complaint.

10. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

QFT.

11. JonnyQuest037

From all appearances it's showing us most of the same story beats as a film that that came out only 9 years ago. If they're going to make a new Spider-Man film, make a new Spider-Man film, not a remake.

12. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

13. Skywalker

I think it's way too early to make that kind of judgment. We've only seen a couple minutes of out-of-context footage. We still don't know what the overall plot is, only that Peter gets his powers during it.

14. JonnyQuest037

Which is why I wrote "from all appearances" up above. If they show us new stuff, I'll revise my judgement. Until then, this looks like a miss for me.

15. Skywalker

My point is it's way too early to be judging either way. Obviously we're going to see more as production goes along, and I don't think the finished product is going to end up being as similar to Raimi's movie as you seem to think it will. The presence of Peter's parents in the Comic-Con footage makes me think there's going to be a subplot dealing with them and why/how they died, which would be a pretty significant departure from the Raimi/Maguire films.

16. JonnyQuest037

Let's review. So far I've seen:

-Pictures of a Spider-Man costume that I hate. He looks like a basketball, for God's sake.

-A trailer that confirms that they're recycling a number of elements from the 2002 Spider-Man movie (Peter as a high school outcast, getting bitten and discovering his powers, Peter pining after a seemingly unattainable girl, etc.)

-That they're touching on a plot point I've never really liked, the idea of Peter Parker's parents being spies.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to like the movie, but they're making it really really hard for me.

17. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I think all that can be asked of anyone is that they keep an open mind about the whole thing. You said you at least want to like the movie, which I'd consider encouraging.

I admit I'll probably wait for reviews before I firmly commit either way on seeing it, though I have been an Andrew Garfield fan since Parnassus.

18. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

That was in Glastonbury.

Matt was in California for Coachela with his girlfriend.

19. JonnyQuest037

I want to like pretty much any movie that's being adapted from characters that I love. But my love of those characters extends to staying away when I think they're being done badly. I still haven't seen either of the Fantastic Four movies because I thought they were largely miscast and bad-looking. I couldn't get through an entire television showing of Daredevil because I thought it missed the mark. I've got similiar doubts about whether or not the upcoming Tintin movie looks up to par.

If I think that this Spider-Man movie will be a bad treatment like those movies looked, I have no problem with skipping it, staying home and reading a Spider-Man comic book instead.

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

They maybe retelling the origin again but they're doing so in a different way than "Spider-Man" did and seem to be exploring a lot more of Peter's back story than the first film did. It is my belief that one of the main differences between Rami's trilogy and Webb's trilogy is that the latter is going to attempt to tell one ongoing story throughout the trilogy while adding new characters to the story as opposed to Rami's self-contained style with continuing characters.

This film isn't going to be for everyone. The first three movies weren't for everyone. For someone who was straight up against this film from the start, I've come all the way over to being excited for it. It might not seem like the film is trending on new ground at first but perhaps the subsequent trailers may change people's minds as I've been changed. If not that's cool too.