That's not MY ship...!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Praetor, May 3, 2009.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I like the JJprise better than the original or the refit. :eek: Except for Main Engineering.

The Enterprise-E is still my favorite of the bunch, though. The one from First Contact, that is, before they got all "let's put torpedo launchers everywhere!" with it.

On that note, I like the design of the Akira class a lot, but whoever came up with the idea of putting all those torpedo launchers on it needs to be smacked upside the head.

2. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

J.J. is the director. J.J. Abrams. Kind of a big detail to miss. :p

3. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

I quite like the JJPrise (though I may need to see it more in action to make a final decision) and the refit versions of the Connie class Enterprise. I can accept the TOS era model, and even though I grew up watching the TNG runs in the mid 90s, I didn't see the refit until a while after watching a fair bit of the original series. I guess when you're young you're easily impressed by the prettier ship and I got spoiled with the -D and the -A at that age :p

I'm not sure about the -E. On it's own, it's a very nice ship, and the interior looks pretty sweet, but in a similar sentiment which other posters have already stated, I guess having the old -D crew almost shoe-horned into a completely different ship doesnt feel right. It wasn't as bad as the TOS to -A move for the Kirk crew, since it wasn't really a different ship, but the Galaxy to Sovereign move seemed to much of a change in feel for the TNG crew, if that makes sense? It probably comes down to the idea that the Galaxy is a capital ship, while the Sovereign is a capital ship. That and the old childhood attachment to the Galaxy :techman:

As for other ships, I kinda like the NX class after I got over the Akira-esque look, but I don't really think of it as an actual 'Enterprise' name holder.

4. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Aye, twas on purpose. ;)

I'm sorry to say: I'm getting there. :shifty:

(And with a name like "Skywalker" saying you like the JJ isn't helping those "Star Wars" conspiracy theories, me amigo... ;))

The *single* things I liked about the Nemesis version were the changes to the nacelle struts - the increase in incline and the addition of phaser strips to cover those blind spots.

Sadly, the designer and the torpedo-equipper were one in the same, none other than Alex Jaeger.

5. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

The engineering room on the JJ Prise was freakin' awful!

It looked out of date even for a modern warship...

6. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

You know, I never hated any Federation ship until First Contact. I hated the new Enterprise E, and hated ALL the new little ships that battled the Borg cube.
    I read originally the new Enterprise E was going to be larger than D and look different, but for some reason (which I can't recall; may budget, time restraints, etc) they went with smaller and sleaker.

The last new Federation ship I liked was the alternate timeline U.S.S. Pasteur from "All Good Things..." (was disappointed when Playmates didn't release a toy for it).

All these years later after all the Trek shows have ended, my feelings have not change. I nfact I hate the Enterprise E even more now than before. And the Defiant. In fact, I don't think I can name liking any alien ships after TNG either.

But I did like the fake Starfleet ship from Voyager's "Hope and Fear".

Thing is, no matter the ship -- Enterprise, Enterprise A, Excelsior, Enterprise D -- all the ships had this sort of "look" to them. They felt Federation, they looked majestic in their own way. The Defiant, Enterprise E, Voyager, all looked and felt cheap and showy.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Well, Alex Jaeger needs to be smacked upside the head. :p

8. Praetor

While I can't completely agree with your opinion, I definitely understand where you're coming from.

Maybe open-palmed? ;)

He also gave us all those other nifty FC ships. He may have even put the Millennium Falcon in there himself.

9. Tom Riley

Tom Riley Commodore Commodore

The thing is, when they installed the new QT launchers, they got rid of the 4 PT launchers... So in the end they had only 3 QT launchers... The one on the underside of the saucer section above the yacht, the dual launcher behind the bridge, and one directly above one of the shuttle bays.

[​IMG]

Those were the only weapons tweaks made to the E. I think it just looked like a lot more because the ol' Double E was firing in like 8 million different directions.

10. Praetor

They didn't get rid of anything as far as I know. They just added what's shown in the drawing, plus a few more.

11. Tom Riley

Tom Riley Commodore Commodore

All I know is that they didn't fire a thing from those old Photon torpedo bays in Nemesis, they only fired from the Old QT launcher and the two new ones...

12. Praetor

But, physically, I believe they are still there.

13. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Have you seen the original painting by Probert of the Ambassador class? I feel it's a much more elegant ship than the one we got. It looked quite Galaxy-like, but I really liked it.

Here's the link: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/ambassador/probert-preliminary-ambassador.jpg
    That said, I've always liked the refit Enterprise. I grew up on TNG as well. And I like the -D. I also like the -E though. When people say they made modifications to the -E after First Contact, is it just those additional weapons?

14. johnsonalmighty

johnsonalmighty Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Link dosen't work

15. Praetor

Copy the link and paste in your browser. Bernd doesn't like being hotlinked.

I do like Probert's painting, but the "real" Ambassador has a utilitarian feel that I appreciate. I don't see why both ships can't exist in the "real" Starfleet. ;)

No, they also angled the nacelle struts up several degrees so the nacelles have more clearance over the saucer, and "blended" the saucer into the secondary hull around the shuttlebay. See here. :)

Personally, I like the strut changes and the addition of a rear upper torpedo launcher on the spine (which I suppose was probably there in "Insurrection" based on where a certain torpedo came from during the battle in the Briar Patch), but everything else is 'meh.' It's like the Akira having so many torpedo launchers; it doesn't need them, really, and the ones on the E are in really weird places for me, tacked on like turrets which IMO just doesn't work.

16. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I LOVE the Constitution Refit / Enterprise-A. I'm not sure what to make of the new Enterprise; it seems to look a lot better on screen than a still picture.

Voyager is a weird one because whilst I never liked the design it still felt 'right' as part of the Star Trek universe. I like the Defiant a lot. The Enterprise-E always seemed too 'flat' and 'sleek' for me. It's a huge ship, so it's not like it was made that way for maneuverability...

I was disappointed the NX-01; I wanted something a little more rocket/space-shuttle-ish - kinda like the one in the opening credits. It seemed to look like a better ship than the NCC-1701 which I guess is understandable but they could've disguised the fact a little better.

17. Praetor

Completely OT - Shazam!, I love that your screen name has the exclamation point. Do you also go by Billy Batson sometimes? ;)

18. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hee hee