X-Men Comics Help

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Starbreaker, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Okay, for those of you keeping up with the current X-Men storylines, I need some help. I was a really avid X-Men comics reader several years ago. I got really busy with school and work and other hobbies, etc... but I really want to get back into the story. I quit reading in late 2008/early 2009 right around the time Hope left with Cable. I have read the entirety of the last Cable series, which I thought was fantastic. I was going back over the list of where I stopped and I came up with this:

X-Men #503
    X-Men Legacy #216
    Astonishing X-Men #32
    X-Force #20
    X-Factor #27
    New X-Men #46

I know there are some new series out and some of these have been cancelled... just want to know where to go from here, what's still in the main continuity, any major crossovers, etc.

2. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

X-Men titles currently being published include:

• Astonishing X-Men
    • Deadpool
    • New Mutants
    • Uncanny X-Force
    • Uncanny X-Men
    • Wolverine
    • Wolverine and the X-Men
    • X-Factor
    • X-Men
    • X-Men: Legacy

Uncanny X-Men, Wolverine and the X-Men, and X-Men: Legacy have all tied into the currently-ongoing crossover miniseries Avengers vs. X-Men. AVX deals with the arrival of the Phoenix Force at Earth. While the Avengers attempt to contain Hope Summers and find a way to defeat the Phoenix, most of the X-Men rally around Cyclops, who believes Hope and the Phoenix represent a future for mutantkind.

A full list of titles involved in AVX can be seen here (but certainly be careful to avoid the Plot section of that Wiki entry!).

Someone else will likely be able to fill you in on the storylines that you missed between where you stopped and now.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

X-Men: Schism is also a must read to follow what is going on in the X-titles right now since books are split into Logan and Scott titles. Greg Pak's alternate reality X-Men book X-Treme X-Men starts this week, and there is also the Age of Apocalypse ongoing which Pyscho Pere missed in his otherwise complete list.

4. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, I left out the alternate reality titles. I assumed Starbreaker was interested in the mainstream universe. If that's an incorrect assumption, Ultimate Comics X-Men should also be added to the list.

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just wanted to catch up on the mainstream stuff right now. I took your advice and just jumped right into AvX and read A LOT last night. Looks like I haven't missed that much. Such fantastic writing all across the board. I'm more of an X-Men fan, but the Marvel universe is so integrated now, that it's hard to avoid these other titles. I thought the tie-ins with Avengers Academy would be stupid, but I really want to read some more of that series now. I've been particularly impressed with X-Men Legacy and Secret Avengers. I know there's already a thread on that storyline now... so I'm just gonna shut up here. Thanks!

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

One of Marvel's best series.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012