Was Amy's "present" always the future?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Gotham Central, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Was Amy's "present" always our future? If you watch "The End of Time" the Doctor's last stop before he regenerates is to visit Rose on January 1 2005. He barely makes it into the TARDIS and then essentially takes off. We see him in orbit and then the regeneration. At no point does he seem to travel in time. That means that when he first crashes in Amy's garden it should still be 2005. So it should be 2017 when he catches up with her later. Was this intentional or has her personal timeline been fudged?

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Amy's wedding took place on the day of broadcast of "The Big Bang" -- June 26, 2010. I think Amy's timeline works like this:

1996: Amelia Pond, aged seven, meets the Doctor
    2008: Amy Pond, aged nineteen, remeets the Doctor and fights the Atraxi
    2010: Amy Pond, aged twenty-one, remeets the Doctor, travels with him, and marries Rory

Therefore, the TARDIS must travel in time to reach Amelia's backyard.

3. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

The problem is that it could not have been 1996 when the Doctor crashes. When the TARDIS is flying over London the Millennium Dome and London Eye are clearly visible. The Eye was completed in 1999 and the Dome in 2000.

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean when the Doctor is hanging from the TARDIS? Yes, that took place in the present of "The End of Time, Part Two." But when the TARDIS crash lands it's 1996. There was some time travel in between.

5. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Also, Leadworth's location is stated as being half an hour from Gloucester by car, so seemingly the Doctor would probably have needed a trip in the vortex to get there.

6. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the weight of the evidence is definitely in favor of a 2010 date for Amy's original home time. Remember also that Amy and Rory travel by conventional means to be at the Doctor's death in 2011 in "The Impossible Astronaut." We see both dates on screen multiple times, which I think trumps the implications of the opening of "The Eleventh Hour" (though I agree that that implication is there).

7. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

He was still in 2005 while flying over London and when back to 1996 and then came out over Amys yard and crashed, we did not see the Tardis so it could have materialized over Amy's yard then went down. Yes, and the wedding in 2010 is on screen canon.

8. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Here's a thought, very first shot from 'Angels':

[​IMG]

I may need an American eye to confirm, is that the Twin Towers?

If so, that's pre 2001.

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^I don't know what that is, but it's definitely not the WTC. Besides the Doctor stated that they were in 2012.

Here's roughly how Amy's timeline should work:

1996: Meets the Doctor for the first time (14 years prior to her wedding, confirmed to be in 2010)
    2008: The whole Atraxi thing (two years before her wedding)
    2010: The wedding (confirmed on screen)
    2011: The Doctor fakes his death (confirmed on screen) and Amy and Rory stop travelling in the TARDIS (conjecture, assumes it's still the same year).
    2013: The Doctor visits the Ponds on Christmas (Amy says it's been two years since they've seen him).
    2014: Pond Life (conjecture, it takes place from April to August, though no year is given) and Asylum of the Daleks (also conjecture, assuming not much time has past since Pond Life).
    2015: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (Conjecture based on Amy saying it's been ten months since Asylum. Assuming Asylum is August 14, this would June 15).
    2015-2016: The Power of Three (Conjecture based on episode being set from July of one unspecified year to July the next).
    And then for some reason The Angels Take Manhattan is 2012.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  10. Racer_X

Racer_X Commander Red Shirt

No, they are not the Twin Towers. The building on the left is the new One World Trade Center/Freedom Tower that's currently being built. The one on the right is just another skyscraper that's closer to the camera by a mile or so.

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Nah, you can see the new World Trade Center being built. It's the bluer-looking building.

12. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

I would have to rewatch to confirm, but I could SWEAR that Amy said in Angels Take Manhattan that they were in New York in 2012. If so, either they are not in her "present," or that puts everything else farther back (approx 10 years or so), since at that point she's been travelling with the Doctor for over 10 years.

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Sure, she's been traveling with The Doctor for 10 years. But how much of that 10 years has she spent at home? I think she's only got 3 years of "Prime Timeline" investment, but she travels weeks, months and years, in between return visits to home yesterday

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

She does say at one point that her friends will be wondering why she and Rory are aging so fast.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It does seem a little silly to use a time machine to visit present-day New York.

16. Plain Simple

Plain Simple Commodore Commodore

(Don't know if it's necessary in this thread, but spoilers ahead for the lastest episode.)

This, and similar hints over the last few episodes, had me thinking this would play a role somehow in ending the Ponds' story, but, apart from being vague hints at "living out your life at a time you don't belong", it didn't really come in.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  17. Plain Simple

But if our present day, is their past day, then it makes more sense. Although one has to wonder what drove them to NY 2012 specifically. Perhaps they were hoping to catch a glimpse of that popular BBC show that shot some scenes in Central Park back in April.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That was my point.

19. Plain Simple

Ah, okay. I misunderstood, thought you meant to argue that in fact it was not taking place in 2012.

20. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Although it's also a spaceship, not just a timemachine.