List of "official" non-canon starship classes

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by ryan123450, Jan 27, 2015.

1. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm working on a starship related project and part of it entails me coming up with a list of starships/stations which are non-canon, but which are so "official", so widely known and accepted, that they may as well be.

I'm thinking things like:

Sean Tourangeau's Luna Class
    Mark Rademaker's Vesta Class
    Doug Drexler's New Deep Space 9
    The Klingon Qang Class
    Vanguard Station
    Masao Okazaki's Archer Class
    Mark Rademaker's Full Circle Fleet
    Doug Drexler's refit NX Class

TOS-era Miranda Class
    Ptolemy Class
    Saladin Class
    Federation Class

Cheyenne Class
    New Orleans Class
    Niagara Class
    Springfield Class
    Challenger Class
    Freedom Class

Am I missing anything else that is widely known and basically "official" in every way except having appeared onscreen? Perhaps something non-Federation?

I'll also be posting this in the Trek Tech Forum. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

2. Rattrap

Rattrap Commander Red Shirt

Not to split hairs, but the last six classes on your list did appear in "Best of Both Worlds, Part II", which technically makes them canon, though the class names weren't confirmed (then again, the Miranda class was only confirmed by studio archaeology).

Not looking to start an argument, just passing along the info. Use it as you see fit.

3. loghaD

loghaD Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I haven't played Star Trek Online for quite some time, but I suspect the Odyssey-class (Enterprise-F) and bortaSqu' (Klingon dreadnought; their flagship is the I.K.S. Bortasqu'.

Some of the old FASA Klingon ships come to mind. k't'rika, d'ama, d'esta kar, lara'atan (a.k.a. "Gull")...
    ...but that may just be because I have a particular interest in those. I thinkt he most iconic would be the k't'inga, which is canon, as well as the d'gavama and z'gavva, both of which are Bird-of-Prey types.

4. ryan123450

Those are the exact kinds of suggestions I was hoping for. I will have to look into those. Another possibility I was wondering about would be something that was featured several times in Ships of the Line, or which came from something else and was then featured in Ships of the Line.

Any more suggestions, anyone?

5. Count

Count Commander Red Shirt

From the web, you have the Excalibur Class (which everyone apparently loves and is literally everywhere).

In web comics/fan series/games/etc... that want a futuristic looking ship, the Insignia class which was modelled based on the TNG tech manual's interpretation of the Enterprise E.

6. loghaD

loghaD Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ooh, seconded! That takes me back to the old days of scouring the web for Bridge Commander mods and inspiration for pre-launch Star Trek Online role-playing forums...
    Excalibur definitely stood out as a popular choice.

Another one that I recall seeing a lot of was the Fek'lhr-class, from Star Trek: Armada.

I believe the Romlan Shrike-class is fairly well-recognized, too.

7. Bell'Orso

Bell'Orso Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just throwing a couple more TOS Feds out there:

Akula
    Larson
    Loknar
    Nelson

8. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There is also the Baton Rouge class, which was originally created by Rick Sternbach.

9. ryan123450

Now that is a ship with the kind of credentials I've been looking for. Featured in references books, a comic, and designed by a big name.

If only it weren't so ugly. :rommie:

I am actually just trying to develop a list of the most important/my favorite starships from all the series and Treklit. Someday when technology, money, and space in my house allow, (inspired by my childhood love of the Star Trek Micro-Machines) I would love to 3-D print around 150 starships in 1/5000 scale. My main problem now is that I want them to be full color, which I understand limits the material they can be 3D printed in. Otherwise I could have them professionally painted but then the price becomes even more of an issue.

Someday all the stars will align and I'll be able to actually do it, bit by bit, but for now I just want to make the perfect list of all the "best" Star Trek ships and what size they would be at 1/5000 scale.

10. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Churchill class and the Bonaventure.