Phase II "Going Boldly" (new vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by dru, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

Perfection I say. In fact I did on Youtube as well. :)

But this just proves again that Phase II is, to me, the flagship of fan films. As much as I loved James as Kirk this new guy is great and brings his own flare to the role. And to finally see the Phase II Enterprise brought to life in a logical and interesting way makes this old Trek happy. I've heard about the ship ever since I was little and like it. Also, the way she was filmed with the Wrath Of Khan music is a great homage. The shot in both the Motion Picture and The Wrath Of khan, where we see the ship move in above us, so majestic and breath taking, is my favorite Star Trek shot off all time. It was good to see this Enterprise in the same manner and makes you love the old design and the refit all at the same time.

I give this an A+

2. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

The old, planned but aborted Star Trek Phase II revival series from the late 70s had an updated Enterprise. Ultimately, the series was scrapped--but The Motion Picture was made instead. The Motion picture also had a new Enterprise, too, of course--but it was a bit different from the Enterprise that was planned for the Phase II series. So the Phase II Enterprise is not the TMP Enterprise (although they are similar).

We are postulating that there was a refit before The Motion Picture refit. They are trying out the new engines and the new photon torpedo launcher and some new docking ports, but this isn't "the refit" that is being completed at the time of TMP. You can see that most of the ship still retains its TOS look. This is an earlier "halfway between TOS and TMP" refit.

3. jamesmc

jamesmc Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well said Mr. Greg!

4. GSchnitzer

I come to serve.

5. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Kinda like the Enterprise seen in the initial TMP ads?

[​IMG]

Also, great video. I agree the effects are really well done, especially Arex.

I'm not sure about the pylons simply "plugging into" the secondary hull like that, but a minor nitpick.

6. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

That's the ship!

I love what James and company have done in advancing the story and timeline. And I have a lot of respect for James for bringing Brian Gross on as Kirk. I love that he isn't trying to channel Shatner. Looking forward to Bread and Savagery...and more...

Alec

7. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

In that case, I'll have four whole fried chickens and a Coke.

8. HarryM

HarryM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow, very impressive! Love the P2 Enterprise, makes a lot more sense than the "original" version. Acting and production values all very good, as we've come to expect from recent P2 efforts, bravo!

9. Mike 1732

Mike 1732 Ensign Red Shirt

Great job all around here!!!
    As for the issue about simply plugging the pylons into the secondary hull.....
    I have no problem with that. That's how you attach the nacelles on the kit models. Prototype imitating art imitating prototype, you might say. It's been a while since I had one of those, but I remember that one nacelle on my model would sag a bit. Couldn't fix it then, but it'd be a snap now.
    I'm looking forward to seeing more from you folks.

10. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

So what were the events that lead up to this that caused deaths and damage to the ship? And it did it occur in one of the not yet released episodes..

11. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

And I'm in no way a structural expert (and don't play one on TV :lol:), but it would seem there should be a deeper connection in there.

I can't remember which of our wonderful 3D artists did it, but one of them had the internal aspects modeled and the pylons basically ran into each other in a "V" connection.

Still, like I said, a very minor thing.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was good. I like Gross a lot...and Arex certainly is impressive. No one has really tried this in a fan film before, have they - the CG character, I mean.

13. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I loved it and I can't wait to see more.

You guys continually raise the bar with your production values.

14. CaptainSerek

CaptainSerek Commander Red Shirt

I am looking forward to downloading and watching it, review later, of course.

15. GSchnitzer

Five people are mentioned by name; two of them are actual Star Trek Phase II production crew members (who we miss terribly). The memorial service scenes in this vignette are more for our cast and crew than they are for our audience; most of the tears are real.

Our two absent friends are:

* Anthony DiGregorio
    * John Olson

(Their names also appear on a "In Memory Of" title card at the very beginning of "The Child.")

The other three are fictional characters:

* Lieutenant Commander Arell Dickerson (died in the opening teaser of "Enemy: Starfleet!")
    * Lieutenant Mikhail Hodel (eaten by Regulan blood worms in "Blood and Fire")
    *Lieutenant Alexander Freeman (took his own life at the end of "Blood and Fire" when death by the blood worms was imminent).

No exposition is provided in any episodes as to why a refit before the refit was provided. The only relevant dialogue is in this vignette:

"This experimental engine design, if successful, is slated to be used in all future refits--Enterprise's included. Command wants them tested close to home."

16. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Your service honors us!

Liked the exterior fx work and the writing. Arex was good considering the budget limitations you must have as well.

Don't like the new Kirk. His voice isn't "Kirk-ish" tonally or in delivery.

I'm going to miss Cawley in the role.

17. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Wasn't all the damage Big E took in B&F originally supposed to provide the rationale for the Phase II refit?

18. GSchnitzer

Yes--the damage in "Blood and Fire" would have set up the re-fit in the next episode. (We changed our mind, and then changed it again, of course.)

Additionally, these who vignette was designed to be an epilogue to "Blood and Fire." The memorial service was for Lt. Alex Freeman specifically with the casket's flag being given to Ensign Peter Kirk. In the end, Dave Galanter tweaked the script so that it was a generic memorial service recognizing a number of missing people.

19. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Man, you guys just keep raising the bar! Brian Gross is going to be terrific. I agree the voice takes a bit of getting used to, but he's got the chops to be The Captain. Arex? What a hoot! Also kudos to John Kelly and Charles Root who continue to improve with every episode. Exciting stuff to be sure!

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm a big fan of not explaining stuff like that. Filling in the unsaid, interstitial stuff is too often done in fan efforts to the neglect of more essential aspects of stories.