The Rocketeer (1991)...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Warped9, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

After years of hearing of this movie I finally got around to seeing. The downside is for some reason I couldn't get the pisture to fill the screen. Wierd.

Anyway this was a very fun period piece that works in similar fashion as Raiders Of The Lost Ark. The period setting helps make the story somewhat more plausible as we view that era as a more innocent time where the fantastic seems more plausible.

Sure it would be easy to nitpick this to death in terms of implausibilities, but like a good superhero adventure that would be doing the film a disservice. To some extent the story is predictable, but it was still fun.

I'm sorry I waited so long to see it. It's good stuff. :techman:

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Jennifer Connelly in The Rocketeer... :adore:

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Part of the appeal was seeing the early clumsiness of Billy Campbell's character. He didn't have the hang of it right off.

4. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

An instant classic with me. I've loved the film since I was a kid. And Joe Johnston has yet to do wrong in my book, having helmed Honey I Shrunk The Kids, Jurassic Park III, and Captain America: The First Avenger.

The cast is top notch, the visuals convincing, and the score is magnificent. Timothy Dalton hams it up in a delightful way, and I love Alan Arkin's curmudgeonly demeanor.

Cliff: How do I look?
    Peevy: Like a hood ornament!

:lol:

Also fun: Terry O'Quinn as Howard Hughes."Son of a bitch WILL fly!" -- if you've seen the film, you get the joke.

If you approach everything with this kind of open-mindedness, you'll probably find you would enjoy many other films and TV shows as well.

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It's really a fun movie. In a weird way, though, I'm glad it tanked. It's better as a one-off than a franchise.

I wish the movie would get a few special features on home video, though.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Hey, I think the leads could still pull off a sequel.

7. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

It's one of my favorites.

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I thought it was a little too "Disney" but I enjoyed it none the less and own it on Blu-ray.

I was a big Spruce Goose aficionado around that time and Terry O'Quinn will always be Howard Hughes to me.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Picked this up on Blu-ray towards the end of last year. Have yet to get around to re-watching it for the first time in quite a few years.

10. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Jennifer Connelly in just about anything... :adore:

Quite like this movie. Don't know why it isn't in my collection.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Any movie that does that 1930s adventure serial sorta thing gets a pass from me. Where's my Sky Captain sequel?!?!?!?!

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Enjoyed that movie. Seemed big budget at the time, not a studio afterthought, but they still did a poor job marketing it.

RAMA

13. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The Rocketeer along with The Shadow and The Phantom are three well cast and underrated period/pulp fiction/comic book movies. I loved Alan Arkin's deadpan delievery and of course Jennifer Connelly.