Great scenes with no regulars....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Grant, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Just watched Who Mourns for Adonais? and was once again reminded how I enjoy episodes where the guests interact with each other without the regulars involved.

3 key scenes in "Mourns" between Apollo and Palamas without which the episode doesn't work.

Also WNMHGB, with it's scenes between Dehner and Mitchell, I really love.

Of course to have such scenes you have to have at least two major guest stars which is fairly rare.

I can think of just a couple more----Zephram and Hedford/Companion, Rom commander & Centurion.

Anybody have any other scenes they like of this type?

2. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The fight between Decker and the security guard (Ens. Montgomery) before decker steals the shuttlecraft and meets his fate, giving Kirk the idea on how to defeat the Planet Killer.

Seems Kirk wasn't the only starship captain who knew how to fight.

3. Grant

Right, I was only thinking of dialogue scenes, but thanks for reminding me of an action scene of this type.
    I have always admired that scene.

I have been running the episodes thru my head and there really are not all that many. I could say Khan & McGivers, but I don't like those scenes despite their importance to the episode.

4. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dr. Helen Noel (our favorite female gueststar) and her fight scene in the powerplant with the security guard. He thinks he's got her and she kicks him into the power bus. Turning him into one crispy critter.

5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

If it counts (they weren't series regulars when it aired on TV), Pike and Boyce in "The Menagerie".

6. Grant

Yes, great scene, but as far as I am concerned those were scenes written for regulars--even if the pilot didn't get picked up.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Need I mention Gary Seven, Roberta, and Isis? Although, of course, that was a special case.

Beyond that, Amanda and Sarek have a nice scene together in "Journey to Babel." "You showed pride in your son," etc.

8. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Apparently Spock never apprenticed as an electrician, as he switches the main breaker for the base back on without knowing why it had been turned off in the first place, which indirectly ends up killing Dr. Adams.

9. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When in doubt, throw the switch. Its logical. ;)

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Anytime Spock makes a boneheaded move, it can be easily explained as the inconvenient influence of his human half. :shifty:

11. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Or not having his brain hooked up properly after Spock's Brain, should the boneheadedness take place in season 3.

12. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I initially read this as 'kicked him "in" the power bus.' Ouch.

13. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Miranda Jones has a good scene with Larry Marvick in "Is There in Truth No Beauty." Diana Muldaur and David Frankham.

I also like the scene with Flint and Rayna in "Requiem for Methuselah." James Daly and Louise Sorel. I love Louise Sorel in this episode. She probably inspired my love of fembots in general, along with Jean Marsh on The Twilight Zone.

14. Push The Button

I have two: the teasers for The Devil In The Dark and Tomorrow Is Yesterday.

15. Grant

Example #1 Yep, the fact that it was basically a pilot itself is the reason I didn't list those scenes with Seven and Roberta.

Example #2 Good call. It briefly crossed my mind but now that you mention it--it certainly qualifies.

Two more good ones--I agree and from the script I read--"Requiem..." has more cut than nearly any other episodes---maybe 60 lines of dialogue---so maybe there was more of Flint/Rayna as well---I forget.

I agree with moody atmosphere in "Devil...", but the two guys in "Tomorrow..." do nothing for me as far as great or memorable.

There was a scene in "Taste of Armageddon between Sar and Anon, in Anon's quarters that was cut too. So maybe there were some other scenes from non-regulars that got cut that we never saw.

A lot of non regular's lines were cut from the movies.

16. Push The Button

That's right, they need to be great scenes. I agree, the stuff from the Tomorrow is Yesterday teaser is rather forgettable.

17. Grant

^Well the scene you mentioned served it's purpose nicely--it wasn't meant to be outstanding or memorable--it fact it was meant to appear routine.
    And the fact that you picked the only two teasers (I think) that don't feature any of the main cast is very cool.

18. Vandervecken

Vandervecken Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Two scenes between Ricardo Montalban and Madlyn Rhue (McGivers), in Space Seed, one in her quarters ("I am honored. Thank you. But I caution you. Such men dare take what they want."), but especially the scene in Khan's quarters where she capitulates to doing whatever he wants. She really sold me on that one.

I also enjoy the scene between Sylvia and Korob in Catspaw, which, yes, degenerates into a mess after Sylvia takes cat form, but had some good acting withal:

KOROB: I have the power.
    SYLVIA: But you're afraid to use it. Don't threaten me. I can squash you and that would be an interesting sensation, yes. I find I like these new sensations. Don't try to push me.

I really got the feeling that here were two agents of an invading species having a falling out, as one "goes native."

19. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I rewatched 'Miri' over the weekend (my newish 1080p set really made the beautiful cinematography breathtaking).

There are a couple of nice scenes featuring Michael J. Pollard and the Onlies, especially the one where Miri comes to talk with them.

20. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Blame Spock for that.