Does season 4 of enterprise have closure like DS9's finale had?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Hespen, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Hespen

Hespen Ensign Newbie

Does season 4 of enterprise have closure like DS9's finale had?

I was thinking of watching enterprise but was curious if the show ends properly the same way DS9 ended. I recently watched voyager and the shows finale ended horribly IMO. Does enterprise end horribly as well or is it epic?

Please no spoilers, I'm just wondering if the show ends properly with a proper finale.

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

If you skip These Are the Voyages and just pretend that Terra Prime was the last episode then you can pretend that ENT had a good ending.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

There was a slim possibility that the show was coming back, so there was a Manny Coto & the Reeves-Stevens' two-parter ("Demons"/"Terra Prime") that many people like to think of as the real finale of Archer's adventures, tying up a few loose ends, followed by a final episode that Berman & Braga had written some time earlier, "These Are the Voyages...", that features two rather unusual flashwards and a few events that many fans were very scornful about.

The final words and visuals, though, are delightful and pay suitable homage to previous ST series about ships named Enterprise (Picard, Kirk and Archer).

Had ENT gone seven seasons, and spun off into feature films, they'd probably have addressed the Romulan/Earth Wars and/or the aftermath of same, as the timeframe was about correct.

4. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I think in particular S3 and 4 of ENT are worth a watch, but nothing at the end of S4 is a "proper" finale in the sense of WYLB.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is no clip show.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Don't you mean there is no "These Are the Voyages"?;)

7. teacake

That goes without saying. But hey, let's all say it anyway.. TERRA PRIME IS A LOVELY FINALE.

8. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Yeah. Stop at terra prime. Watch TaTV after The Pegasus on your next run through of TNG.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Demons"/"Terra Prime" are a fitting finale to ENT, setting up a large part the other Trek's quite well.

"These Are the Voyages" is a sucktacular coda that will leave a bad taste in your mouth.

10. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Take TATV out of the equation, which I'm inclined to do (because it feels like it was written in isolation and utterly disconnected from the other 19 or so episodes before it) and there's no closure.

Season 4 is too busy setting up story arcs left, right and centre... that didn't get the chance to bear fruit. Setting up its stall for future years of Enterprise that should basically have happened...

11. teacake

I don't need closure since I know what happens in the 24 seasons of Star Trek that follow it.

12. ChristopherPike

Unfortunately (for me at any rate) that seemed to be the consensus.

One that ultimately renders any prequel or (come to think of it) any drama set in what can be considered to be the past... worthless.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think thats the case about prequels at all. Just because you know how it ends, doesn't mean interesting stories can't be told about how we got from there to here. The very best give added meaning to their source material.

For example...
    Isn't it cool that when the Federation is mentioned or featured in Trek, that it's the thing that began in "Demons" and "Terra Prime", because of the peace Archer and co. made between the Vulcans and Andorians, and later Andorians and Tellarites?

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'd agree with the notion that the last scene of Terra Prime is a fitting end to the series. As for TATV, that's basically a TNG episode dressed up as an ENT episode.

15. ChristopherPike

Well yes, I really already knew and enjoyed all that! Enterprise being my favourite modern-era Trek.

I was really just bemoaning the lack of a 5th Season onwards, and the fact teacake's "I get closure watching the other shows" is the prevailing opinion. ;)

16. teacake

I'm just defending ENT from the idea that not having a DS9 style finale lessened it. I like a good finale as much as anyone but I don't think a Trek series needs one to be great.. it's not like Lost or other conspiracy shows where you are pumped into wanting answers. It's just a pretty wrap up for the most part. To me the best part of DS9's finale was that it left Sisko's fate open ended.

And I would have loved a 5th season, reading the descriptions is almost painful because it would have been quite excellent.

17. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

As someone who believes one of the main goals of a series finale should be to give the audience an idea of where the characters are going (per Lost, I don't necessarily care about questions being answered if the finale handles other things well), I think ENT was lessened by the lack thereof.

To be fair I haven't seen ENT in forever, so I might consider Terra Prime/Demons a reasonable attempt at such.

18. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Demons/TP was a solid season finale, but it doesn't offer any kind of closure for the characters, really. And TATV... TATV completely disregards everything that happened in Season 4, ignores every single bit of character development and feels so much out of place, it's jarring.

VOY's "Endgame" falls short too. After seven years of rooting for the heroes to return home, you don't actually get to see them do it.

19. ChristopherPike

That's cool. Also there are only two ways to get that DS9 level of closure really. The previous shows and movies set in the 23rd & 24th Centuries for the politics of Federation and various non-allied worlds. For the characters, the Pocket Book novels which having done the Romulan War, are now moving onto setting up more of what we might've seen, had they gone beyond 2161 and what the NX-01 crew move onto, career-wise.

Probably very unlikely ENT will get another mention in the JJ Abrams pictures, but you never know. They got away Scott-free with that throwaway line about Admiral Archer's prized beagle :rofl:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  20. teacake

I'm betting it will get a mention, subtle or otherwise. Maybe we'll just see an NX-01 model in the background on someones bookcase, but it will be there. I think the last movie showed a lot of attention to details.