Did Spock undergo Pon Farr prior to Amok Time?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by uniderth, Jan 16, 2014.

1. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Was Spock's Pon Farr in Amok Time his first time experiencing it?

The events in Amok Time seem to indicate it was Spock's first time experiencing it, especially if we consider Vulcans to be monogamous. We are told that Vulcan's go through it every seven years of their adult life.

So does Vulcan adulthood begin at age 36(Spock's age in Amok Time)?

In the Search for Spock he goes through Pon Farr with Saavik. The Spock that does this is credited as "Spock...Age 17". This could indicate that adulthood begins much earlier.

If we take Spock's age in Amok Time and start subtracting 7 years we get:

36 -7 = 29
    29 - 7 = 22
    22 - 7 = 15

That means Spock went through Pon Farr at the ages of 36, 29, 22, and 15. That's three times, prior to Amok Time.

I think this is actually the most likely. But then what happens to Spock and T'pring and their less than a marriage and more than a betrothal?

2. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

TSFS teenage Spock had different environmental factors than regular Spock. Its a nature vs nurture debate. Because he aged to a teenager in such a short period of time maybe pon farr came early.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Listen to the dialogue. In "Amok Time." Spock says he hoped he would be spared "this." That sounds like he had not experienced pon farr before and had hoped it would stay that way.

4. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Its entirely possible that Spock's mixed heritage caused a delay that other Vulcans wouldn't have had to deal with, so the "adult life" of a full-blooded Vulcan male could start sooner than mid-thirties.

As for teenage Spock havin' pon farr on Genesis, that can be chalked up to special circumstances unique to Spock, as well.

5. Taranis

Taranis Lieutenant Red Shirt

Never considered this before..

I like Warped9 and od0_ital response though.

6. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The "every seven years" thing originated in The Cloud Minders. That seems ridiculously specific for a biological function. Like everyone is on the same timer.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Every seven Earth years (for sake of the audience)? Vulcan years (for sake of specificity)? Ardanan years (for Droxine's sake)? Maybe it's just an average?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  8. Revanche

Revanche Ensign Red Shirt

I think you're dead-on with this. Its easy to refer to Spock as a Vulcan, but it has to be remembered that -while he chooses the Vulcan culture over the Human- his body is an amalgamation of the two species. And, therefore, he will either experience or miss aspects of the biological events of both.

BTW, in which ep is he first identified as being half-Human?

9. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

It's not quite directly stated in the second pilot, Where No Man Has Gone Before:

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Technically, in an unspecific manner, in WNMHGB. More specifically it's mentioned in "The Corbomite Maneuver."

11. Revanche

Revanche Ensign Red Shirt

Very early on, then.

Thanks, both.

12. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I figure Spock's ponfarr in TSFS like this. First I assume (there's that word) that both male and female Vulcan have a version of ponfarr. TWoK, TSFS and TVH all take place in close order. Khan was marooned in the first season of TOS, Amok Tme was in the second season.

Khan was on ceti alpha for fifteen years, or fourteen years following Amok Time.

Seven years after Amok Time Spock (unseen) had a ponfarr.

Fourteen years after Amok Time was the ponfarr we saw in TSFS.

Because they were bonded as children, Spock and T'Pring had their ponfarrs at the same time, even after the events of Amok Time.

Young Spock was going through ponfarr in TSFS (regardless of his rapid aging) because on Vulcan T'Pring was experiencing her seventh year annual ponfarr. Inspite of her marriage to Stonn, there is a residual bond between Spock and T'Pring, it would alway be there.

Light years away, T'Pring made young Spock experience ponfarr.

:)

13. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

STILL...Spock should have planned for this. Wish in one hand and shit in the other isn't a logical course of action Mr. Spock.

14. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

The real question is what Spock is doing for pon farr post 'Amok Time' ;););)

15. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Spock and T'Pring get their bond severed, T'Pring bonds with Stonn, and Spock goes on with his life. Just because Picard says he attends Spock's wedding, that doesn't mean Spock only married one time. The logical solution would have been for him to marry Saavik, but of course that leaves at least one pon farr unaccounted for - between "Amok Time" and post-"The Voyage Home". I don't have any reasonable guesses as to how he might have handled that situation.

T'Pring would not have stayed bonded to Spock. She divorced him, and he won the right to keep her or give her away. He literally and legally gave her to Stonn, so it's ridiculous that Spock and T'Pring would not have broken the bond.

16. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have pondered this, too, and Pon Far in general. I actually wondered more about Sarek and Amanda...if Vulcans only mate once every 7 years, does this mean poor Amanda wore out her replicator creating a plethora of sex toys? :lol:
    Or do Vulcans have actual sex lives outside of Pon Far?

Also, Spock was basically landed gentry, so his battle with Kirk over T'Pring seems to me not typical for most Vulcans. What of the "peasant" Vulcans, who had no land to fight over, or those whose brides to be died or married others before their Pon Far? I have wondered if Vulcans had sexual surrogates that they would go to in a time of Pon Far, in such situations. Being Vulcan, and since Pon Far was a taboo subjuect, I am sure there must be some ritual involved where said Pon far-afflicted male Vulcan can discretely go to some Vulcan priestess for sex.

It's possible that while not stated, maybe the reason Leila Kalomi was stuck on Spock, is that she helped Spock out at age 22 or 29, if he had a Pon Far, but it seems in Amok time, that was his first time.

As others have stated, Spock's mixed physiology may have delayed his Pon Far, and he may not get it every 7 years like full blooded Vulcans.

17. Timewalker

First, TOS didn't have replicators back then. I should think that if Amanda had any times when she wanted sex and Sarek wasn't available, she could meditate.

Second, just because Vulcans have to have sex every seven years, that doesn't mean they can't have sex whenever they want, the rest of the time.

18. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sarak and Amanda had sex in and out of Pon Farr ... and it was hot!

19. Timewalker

You were there spying on them, were you? :vulcan:

20. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nopes. But ... you may have noticed that Amanda Grayson happens to look exactly like Winona Ryder. And Winona is not the kind of woman to do without ...