concept art and set photos!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by F. King Daniel, May 17, 2013.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Yeah, I agree. If it was being built by orcs for the United Federation of Mordor, I could understand, but even as an EVIL!!! human ship, some of those spikey designs look ridiculous.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

You should see Khans designs for new Uniforms ;)

3. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I like that with all the spikes and armor and crap he's got going on on his upper torso, he still just wants to be comfortable in a nice pair of slacks.

4. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Damn, I love this one! This is the guy that should have "greeted" Uhura. The design is awesome, fresh, new, yet very reminiscent of TOS.

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

The fugly Vengeance concept art just makes me appreciate the film version even more.

6. Nerys Myk

The ridges remind me of Col. Worf in TUC.

7. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I can definitely see reboot Shinzon wearing that (when they get round to it. Eventually).

Plus that film (Man With Iron Fist) is a real guilty pleasure :)

8. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

If you went back in time almost 11 years, you'd see that there were lots of folks pointing to that Shinzon reveal as being something straight out of STAR WARS in terms of production design.

In one sense, Zimmerman really did break with tradition on NEM. You had this SW-looking set, and then for what I guess was the Scimitar bridge, you had something that looked like it was shot in a warehouse, possibly where Corman made his 80s SF flicks, but without all the innovative inexpensive touches. That set was a SERIOUS mess.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've just realized why I like this one - it's got the same "unfinished" skeletal greebly bits as the USS Star Empire from Dreadnought!
    [​IMG]

10. Nerys Myk

One of the writers is a Treklit fan, IIRC.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some cool shots and info about Atomic Fiction's work on the CG version of engineering used during the roly poly sequence, the planet where Bones and Carol open the torpedo, the magic seatbelts and the awesome Google Earth-style sequence where Kirk explores the aftermath of the bombing in London: http://www.artofvfx.com/?p=4594

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  12. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Planet Playa Vista, from this angle at least.

That's a pretty cool piece, though - lots of detail, and the guy seemed really enthusiastic about their involvement. :techman:

13. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I am worried that with a majority of the behind the scenes staff probably going to Star Wars with JJ we will be left with the 'B-Team' and the quality will dip noticeably in future Trek movies as a result. It has been A++ so far! Would be a shame if that happens.

14. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure companies like ILM would jeopardize their good name by screwing up Star Trek which is now a pretty big deal as far as summer blockbusters go.

15. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

With a bit of Titan AE tossed into the mix.

16. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just looking again at some of those USS Vengeance concepts: the first one, and several of the more fragmented / skeletal designs, with spiky protrusions coming off them - remind me a lot of the Narada - and I'm wondering if that was something of a basis for these concepts.

After all - the Vengeance looks like she was built in response to the Narada (overly aggressive, larger, and built for war).

Just my musings - nothing concrete, just what these more 'Orc-esque' designs evoke for me, in light of the 2009 movie.

I do like seeing these concepts images: they show an interesting evolution of the Vengeance, and even the more spiky concepts (although right outside the square, so to speak, as far as designs go) still have a place, and are interesting to view, IMO.

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I like that too--nacelles trailing off into antenna farms

18. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm glad the Vengeance ended up the way that it did. It's completely black and heartless. The antithesis of The Enterprise. As much as i'm not totally cozy with the JJ-E, it does have it's moments of beauty, and paired off against the absolutely brutal honest of the Vengeance, it's almost angelic.

And I love the Vengeance's weapons, too. PEW PEW.

https://soundcloud.com/openmaw/vengeance-pulse-phasers

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  19. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Very PEW PEW. Lots of Star Wars sound effects in this.

20. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

No.