Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ron Moore wants to do commentaries on EVERY ONE of his episodes? That's awesome. Light up the smoke pipe and bring out the scotch. I hope they do that. :D

Great read as always FrontierTrek. Thanks again for doing these interviews and posting them here. They've been an absolute pleasure to read.

3. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Braga and Moore together again, haha.

4. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Don't talk dirty, somebody will start thinking K/S ...

5. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

And there should be an alternate audio track, in which Berman is seen to speak but all you hear is air conditioner noise.

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Wow, I would love Moore to come through on that promise. Like Robert says in the interview, it'd be great to finally get a commentary on episodes that did not work. There's only so much fawning over loved eps that I need to hear.

A Sub Rosa commentary? Hell yeah. Might be the only reason to ever watch that ep again. ;)

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Much like Goldsmith's score for STV, McCarthy's score for Generations is the best part of that movie.

Especially the thrilling music during the space battle (which was just as cool when used on DS9).

8. FrontierTrek

Here's Part 5 everyone:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/01152013_robmeyerburnett5.html

More great stuff from Robert Meyer Burnett including - all those TV specials I keep getting questions about!, Trek composers including Ron Jones, Guest star interviews (again, another popular question I've been getting...) and talk on ENTERPRISE!

9. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Awwwww I wanna know what the special BOBW extra is!!!!!!

10. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Awesome stuff. Interesting views on the later series. I think I agree with them!

11. davejames

Interesting observation on VOY, about it being "too insidery." Although I still think the bigger problem was it just didn't take it's premise seriously enough. You had a crew that was trapped on the other side of the galaxy, completely cut off from home... and yet the writers insisted on telling the same old Star Trek stories as if nothing was really different.

It completely undermined the credibility of the show, and made the whole thing seem ridiculous as hell.

12. StewMc

StewMc Commodore Commodore

Interesting that he mentions de Lancie footage for a game, I wonder if this was for the Q VHS game that was never released? Would be great to see. It could also be for the quiz game for the PC that was released...

Oh and it wasn't Gowron in the TNG game, rather O'Reilly playing a rogue Klingon called Kavok.

13. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Frontier,

Thanks for posting part 5. I wonder what the actress who played Shelby looks like. That's great if they can talk to her and any major guest star who appeared on the series. Also, if they get Colm Meany for an interview, that would be awesome. The more I read these interviews, the more excited I get for what the future seasons will hold. Going in I was thinking it's going to be tough to cover as much ground in the later seasons as they have for the first two, but it sounds like they know exactly how to do it (Meaning, they have a plan) and I find that incredibly satisfying.

14. davejames

I wonder if they could somehow transfer the old Interactive Technical Manual to blu-ray, so you could use your remote control to navigate around the ship.

There were tons of great panoramas and set images that were taken for that (before everything was torn down), and it would be a shame if they could never be seen again.

15. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

That caught my attention as well. Can't wait for S3!

16. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Much like the BOBW VHS, I ran that CD into the ground. :D

17. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

WHAT IS IT???? :scream:

I WANT to know!!! NOW! :klingon::klingon:

:D

18. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Re: Composers

McCarthy was good, better than Chattaway imho. He did excellent work for Encounter at Farpoint which he reused. Notably the Q chase score & the Picard theme (can't remember if that was first heard in EaF? Or the Child?) which we heard alot before the sonic wallpaper watershed. Also liked Yesterdays Enterprise score. Not really many themes though?

Chattaway came too late, he came after Ron Jones was fired and after that occured all use of themes seemed to disappear because the music was deliberatley dumbed down and moved into the background. He came in during the sonic wallpaper era and therefore everything he did sounded the same... mostly (talking about TNG only here) TIN MAN is the notable exception. This episode was made when the producers where more 'liberal' about the music and allowed the composers to do what they wanted. Contrast Tin Man to something Chattaway does in season 5. Tin Man is up there with...

Ron Jones. He consistently delivered the best scores. He wrote a theme for each episode he did that really added to the episode and set the tone or built up tension etc.

11001001: The Bynar Theme and various docking music & the music building upto the Bynars stealing the Enterprise. Really good!
    We'll always have Paris: Very 'spooky'... not much to it but it fits in perfectly with the episode and its mysterious time events.
    Where Silence has Lease: Music at the end when the auto destruct is cancelled.
    The Neutral Zone: The Romulan music that built up tension at the end!
    Q Who: The Borg music that we will hear again later in the series.
    Evolution: Just listen to the music at the start and slightly later when the Enterprise is sent spiraling out of control into the stellar matter.
    Booby Trap: Some of the best stuff in the series!
    The Defector: Romulan score is back!
    Best of Both Worlds!
    Brothers: Music when Data disables life support
    Final Mission: Music when the shuttle is out of control
    Night Terrors: Spooky stuff which fits in with the tone of the ep.

All themes, all (mostly) different. These are the ones that stand out for me. Later in the show it all seems to be turned off, relegated to background and the same tones recycled every week by both composers who are reigned in. Themes gone.

19. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When was this interview done? I had assumed the interview itself occurred before the BOBW standalone release was announced and that's what was being alluded to.

20. FrontierTrek

^ Yep, the interview was done at the start of December. Rob was alluding to the BOBW Standalone Disc but also the very special features he's produced for it... and possibly more ;-)

Here's Part 6!
    http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/01162013_robmeyerburnett6.html

This part has it all folks, we start with discussion about Remastered Original Series Blu-Rays, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, The Animated Series (including Blu-Ray plans!) and finishing up with some frank words on J.J. Abrams' Star Trek movie.