The abundance of ideas for a new trek show.

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by surak-toc, May 20, 2013.

1. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

could be there for away assignments, enterprise E or if its a different one now can be seen, would like these ideas to give way to a fan fiction novel series, would be amazing...

2. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Wow, I just got that.

3. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I think it won't happen that soon. They can just stop refering stuff from old Trek and that'll be it. Another reboot is inevitable, but I'd rather they avoid it for another 20 years.

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I don't think we'll see any Trek continuity last 20 years anymore. 10 to 12 years, tops with a couple of years between reboots, IMO.

5. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

I think if we don't get a new series tv wise would a new novel series suffice, I mean new frontier is great, why not do something with the idea I and bbjeg were discussing, would be a great series of books.

6. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Thankfully I won't be around to live too long in an era where franchises regularly reboot at that frequencies. I don't see how anyone can really invest themselves in fandom if they think the continuity is going to come and go so quickly, keep getting recast and "reimagined" to closely match the prime-moviegoing-demographic's taste, but hey, that's where culture is headed now.

7. Belz...

It's not my impression that studios are particularily interested in fandom "investing" itself. They don't seem concerned with the long term, anyway.

8. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think we can safely say they won't be touching any of the books, especially when they eventually do a total reboot and start everything over from scratch.

Things are continually reinvented for new audiences. Trek was able to hang onto its original continuity for a very long time, but nothing lasts forever.

I think beginning with Star Trek XI, Trek has entered the realm of other franchises like Batman where it can be periodically reinvented, with each version having a different take on the mythos.

There's probably some young actor out there right now that will be the next Captain Kirk in about ten years, IMO.

9. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

That's what sucks. Seeing franchises fall and fail because of whim decisions. I enjoyed the remake and all but i felt they should have stayed on the continuing mission path. I feel they did what they did to reach new audiences but they could have done it in the next gen era. ^Read that Starfleet Academy post.

10. Belz...

Well the Trek movies were never on any mission path.

11. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

To seak out new life and new civilizations, to b... well you know it, they've always had that mission.

12. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

With the new movie it went from "to boldly go where no one has gone before" to "to boldly go where we've been, just a little different".

13. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pft, the mission statements of the new movies is to boldly put as many butts in the seats as they can. Then to seek out new DVD markets to sell too. ;)

14. Belz...

That's unfair. That has ALWAYS been the mission statement of entertainment business, from theatre to comic books to novels to television to cinema and video games. The new Trek movies are not different in that regard. In fact, TOS was made sexier and more actiony after the first pilot for this very reason.

15. R. Star

Who said anything about fair? It's how it is though. Admittedly I don't much care for the direction the reboot is going... more action, less substance, half of the substance there is ripped off from previous incarnations of Trek... but it's what it is. And you can't argue that it isn't selling.

To me I feel the NuTrek is basically a watered down version of the Trek I grew up on at best. Not to mention reboots are a general pet peeve of mine since they just take the general substance of an old product, repackage it to look slightly different and sell it again.

But as I say on the Enterprise forum often enough... bad Trek is better than no Trek. ;)

16. Belz...

You're not saying anything, is my point: it's ALWAYS been this way.

Nostalgia. It wasn't better before.

17. R. Star

Your opinion. Not mine.

18. Belz...

Obviously, but I think it's been pointed out quite well that TOS was focused on the action much more than Roddenberry would've wanted, thanks to NBC, who knew how to sell a series to the masses. It's also been pointed out that the new movies have quite a bit of characterisation, but many people ignore that and focus on the action.

19. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

I agree. Nemesis didn't fail. Bring back Prime!" :scream:

. . . . .

Hang on. . . . .

Nemesis did fail.

Reboots have happened before:

Sherlock Holmes (House, Sherlock, Downey Jr., Holmes), Marvel, DC, Lost in Space and Transformers.

Prime Trek isn't coming back. Nemesis and Enterprise killed Prime Trek. Instead of yelling at J.J. Abrams, yell at Rick Berman. :techman:

20. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

So I guess they should take the Hugo award away from City on the Edge of Forever, remove the Enterprise from the Smithsonian, and strike Trek from all top-10 lists of greatest TV shows of all time because it's all just rose-colored-glasses. Thanks for the tip.

Why does it have to be one or the other? I'll yell at them both. And add Bill Shatner for Trek V while you're at it.

I don't see why it is people associate those who don't like JJ Trek as rubber-stamping all prime-continuity stuff. If anything, we're just pickier than most about Trek in general.