Aronofsky to remake ''ROBOCOP''

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by miraclefan, Apr 8, 2009.

?

Remake ''ROBOCOP'' yay-nay?

1. yay-Robocop needs a remake.

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. nay-Robocop is perfect the way it is!

29 vote(s)
    63.0%
  1. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

This is old news I know, but I would like to know what you guys/gals think of them remakeing a sci-fi MASTERPEICE like ROBOCOP ? Good, Bad ,Yay, Nay?

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

As long as they don't have Robocop using a jetpack in the movie I'll at least check it out! So yes for now. :techman:

3. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I don't really have a problem with it. Could be interesting.

4. miraclefan

A-MEN!
    Hey, it worked for ''B-BEGINS'' & ''J.J.TREK'' it may just work here!:cool: by the way, I voted ''Yay''

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Look once Psycho and Halloween got remade everything else was easy pickings. My opinion would be NO, just as it was on the other two but idiots showed up to those remakes and so Hollywood has been busy remaking everything it can.

The only things that should be "remade" or "reinvented" are movies that had a good concept but had horrible execution and someone turns it into something good.

Don't take great and give us mediocrity like we've been getting.

6. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well as long as Robocop still has those GREAT faux ads.

"I'd buy THAT for a dollar!"

I don't have a problem with them "remaking" Robocop, at least it lets this generation have their version of him. I mean really, are we ever going to see Peter Weller as an aging Robocop? Doubtful. Truly Truly Truly doubtful. So you'll need a new guy.

Although what I would do, have the "old" Robocop die somehow or have been dead for a while. Another officer is critically injured to the point of death and he's given the next generation of Robocop suit. It would be cheesy, but that was part of its charm!

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Part of the point of Robocop was its satire of 80's culture and mores. And to do that, it was best that it was *made* in the 80's. I don't see what a remake could bring to the table.

8. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it if the film was updated to take on some of the societal issues we face today, it can still work as well as it did in the 1980s. Plus, good numbers of those issues from the 1980s are certainly still with us today. Especially the greed.

9. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd watch paint dry if Darren Aronofsky directed it.

10. Alpha_Geek

Alpha_Geek Commodore Commodore

I won't say the original was a perfect movie, but I don't see what a retelling could add to the tale.

Besides, it's fun to watch Murphy getting criminal records out of a DMS-100 telephone switch with a Crocodile Dundee knife! :)

11. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Remake -- No.

Continuation of the character? Absolutely.

12. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't mind remakes--so long as they're good. Both Ben Hur and The Maltese Falcon, for example, have been filmed three times: in each case, the third version is the classic version.

The trouble is, most remakes just aren't very good. :(

That said--Aronofsky seems like a talented filmmaker. I saw Pi and liked it a lot. I'm willing to give him a chance.

My only advice would be: take the character, and the basic storyline, and make something really different. Don't try to re-create the original. That way lies peril and ruin.

13. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Based on interviews, that seems to be the precise direction in which Aronofsky is going. He and David Self (the co-writer) said last November that despite being tremendous fans of the original, their project was in no way a sequel to the prior films. Since then, details have been pretty scarce (although the announcement poster suggested the iconic "helmet" design will remain intact).

I think now I understand how fans of the original Battlestar Galactica series felt when Ron Moore's remake of it was announced; RoboCop is a property of which I've always been a tremendous fan. I've suffered through awful, awful attempts like Prime Directives and the two film sequels, I watched the entire TV series from the mid-'90s, I think I even tried watching Alpha Commando before deciding that I'd rather kill my brain cells with vodka than that tripe. The original movie is easily one of my all-time favorites, and I'm not sure I'd change a single frame of it (outside of the terrible stop-motion shot when RoboCop pushes ED-209's cannon arm into its other arm and disables it). So how do I feel about a director whom I'm not terribly fond of and a writer who's got one good movie (Road to Perdition) to his credit taking over a complete reboot of a classic?

Eh, whatever, I'm interested to see their take. Aronofsky's stuff is always at least visually interesting. If his RoboCop is good or at least mildly entertaining, then it'll be the best take on the franchise since 1987. And honestly, a reboot is probably the best approach to the franchise, given that Murphy's story is over, full-stop, done, finished at the end of the first movie, and the only logical continuation of it was given about six minutes of half-assed lip service in RoboCop 2. So these two guys are going to take the idea, probably turn it on its head a bit, change some stuff around and give it their best shot.

If it sucks out loud, well, as near as I can tell it won't affect the existence of the DVD on my shelf, and the federal government isn't going to kick down my door and replace all instances of RoboCop '87 with AronoCop ... so, who cares?

14. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank you. :techman:

15. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I can only imagine that a remake would make robocop look more like a terminator endoskeleton or something, and that IMO would just not work.

16. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ok youll all hate me, but I never liked the Robocop suit design... I wouldnt mind a new sleeker look...

17. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

They're remaking Robocop? *Now* I feel old. :eek:

18. miraclefan

^You ''N'' me both!:(

19. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    I don't think "Robocop" needs to be remade, but I can certainly see why Hollywood sees it as good fodder for a remake. Having Aronofsky attached certainly gives me hope that it will be better than a B movie.

20. miraclefan

I love the original suit design, but! I certainly belive that a ''NU'' Sleeker, maybe even ''organic'' suit wouldn't be bad ether!