Shuttlebay 02 - USS Enterprise 1701 D - TNG

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Capt Dazio, May 2, 2009.

1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

This is some awesome work. I can'[t wait to see the finished product!

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Just thought I'd give this a bump to see if you have any new progress pictures for us. :)

3. Probert

Probert Starfleet Design Red Shirt

This model & your work is MOST impressive and I hope you continue to share more photos.

Yes, it is true, the view from the interior does not properly show the extended decking and proper slant of the side walls that are obvious from the exterior. I pointed this out to the producers and they blew it off.

Andrew-

4. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a shame, but we might not ever hear from this fellow again. His last post anywhere on this board was May 16. I hope he's okay.

5. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

Mr. Probert,

Here is the guy's french website, where he is posting the WIP... you might be able to contact him here with more ease... I'm sure he'd love to hear from you.

http://minitracks.forumpersos.com/cinema-tv-f43/shuttlebay-02-star-trek-next-generetion-t3502.htm

-BolianAdmiral

6. Probert

Great idea. I wrote him, so let's see if he shows up. His last French post (thanks to Google translator) has him responding to some guy who suggested running a side-emitting fiber cable around the door as a force field. He basically said it was sealed up and he couldn't get in to do it, adding something about 'the experience of it all'. Let's hope he keeps going because I'm also interested to see this completed.

It really does bring to light, however, how bad that exterior door wall really is... a little embarrassing actually but that was Herman's call and I was distracted with my own stuff, not really thinking how that wall should have been slanted in at the ceiling. Still, knowing how quality-minded he is, Herman very probably considered it but threw it out because of a very tight budget.

Andrew-

7. BolianAuthor

^

Yeah, I am also very interested in this project, and also want to see it continue.

Since we're on the subject of shuttlebays, if you don't mind, Mr. Probert, I'd like to ask you a question regarding the Main Shuttlebay...

When (and if) you did any design work for the Main Shuttlebay... did you envision anything like maybe a central ovular coulmn/structure, that would have like an upper "lounge" area, and a lower work area, with "gangways" jutting out from various points, much like a mini airline terminal? I was thinking about something like that the other day, and thought it might be cool, as the Main Shuttlebay is the only one on the ship large enough to accommodate something like that. So I was just wondering what you had in mind, if anything, for the Main Shuttlebay?

8. Capt Dazio

Capt Dazio Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi,

I'm still alive, and I'm fine.

I left by my small-scale model of Shuttlebay for a moment, but it did well to get back to work. I was very mean thing to do but finally able to devote to Shuttlebay.

I am flattered of your concerns and the interest you have for my work.

I have read the previous posts here and mail that Mr. Andrew Probert sent me, I was very pleased. It gives me great honor.

Here's what I imagined making the problem of having to adjust the external and internal Shuttlebay02.
    The design is still not clear and the inclination of the wall has not yet fixed. But, it will be higher, it is too low!

The proportions are not correct, it's just a sketch!

[​IMG]

What do you think of this idea?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  9. BolianAuthor

^

Great to see you back! Looks like you've still been working hard on this! :)

10. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

This is a good start to solving the door issue!

Hopefully you have more time to keep us up to date.

Merci!

11. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Very impressive

12. Tom Riley

Tom Riley Commodore Commodore

Your work is so detailed! Everything looks perfect.

13. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Welcome back! I'm glad to know you are okay.

Your design solves the inconsistencies between the exterior model and interior set brilliantly. But I worry that this still doesn't match what was shown on screen. There simply is no perfect solution, and I find it tempting to recommend you discard one or the other as inaccurate. Either leave the door as shown on the set and ignore the model, or redesign the door to match the model, ignoring the set.

If you attempt to explain the inconsistency as you have in your sketch, you invite a series of questions: Why wasn't the structure between the inner door and outer curtain visible? Why put the atmosphere-containment force field on the inner door? Why waste so much space between those two doors? Why do these doors (presumably shuttlebays 2 and 3 work the same) differ from the main shuttlebay?

14. Tom Riley

Tom Riley Commodore Commodore

I would not discard this sketch you have here. It solves the problem of the shape of the hull and shuttle bay doors perfectly, and simply because you *should* have been able to see it on screen but didn't isn't a good enough reason, in my opinion, to simply throw it away. I would keep the interior to match the set and add what is in the sketch to the outside.

To answer your questions Psion:

The structure could've been not visible from inside simply because of the angle, or positioning of the outer doors.

The force field could have been on the inner door because it is smaller and therefore would require less energy.

Sometimes things are made and just waste space, sometimes things are just designed poorly.

The doors to shuttle bay 2 and 3 differ from the main shuttle bay because they are in a different location, have differently shaped rooms and etc.

15. Capt Dazio

Capt Dazio Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi,
    I thank you for your nice reception, I am delighted to return among you.

Your comments are very interesting. And I have to admit that this problem is particularly delicate. I cannot bring answers to everything, in particular on the fact of not seeing the side walls of the exit of the shuttlebay, in sight internal towards extern.

What will see itself inevitably if I make my model with this solution.

Obviously, the producers neglected this aspect of the vessel when we perceive the space from inside of the shuttlebay.
    All the views outsides known show a perfectly tilted curtain.

The internal curtain is right, there are thus two curtains. And I rather agree with Tom R.I.P., the force field has to be around the internal curtain.

The sloping wall below can explain its no-visibility, especially when the angle will be more important on my model.
    I have no logical explanation for the space between two curtains (maybe a space for the maintenance of the curtain!!?), but the anomaly exists in TNG, and we have to find a coherent solution which will not betray the original concept.

In addition, as Tom R.I.P., I also think that Shuttlebay 01 is really different from 02 and 03. The curtain 01 is certainly unique and associated with the force field.

16. BolianAuthor

I'd be interested to hear Mr. Probert's take on this issue.

17. Probert

I still love the modeled version. The set hanger door was initially a product of show budget, using the emergency drop-down door from the Refit Engine Room (ST:ROK). When that door was open, you would be looking at the stage doors that opened to an alley between stages (for bringing big stuff on & off stage).

Nevertheless, the visual effects people (the same ones that showed the Stargazer as being nearly the same size as the 'D') didn't have a clue as to what they were producing outside that door and I had no input in that regard.

Another case where "CANON" ain't all that.

Andrew-

18. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never made that connection before! I love the behind-the-scenes stuff!

19. Gagarin

Gagarin Commander Red Shirt

Here's some fandom acrobatics -

The double-door design, as sketched, is because this shuttlebay also functions as a huge gangway for certain yet-to-be-built ambilacles for starbases, just for Galaxy class ships.
    Cargo would be unloaded through this huge gangway.
    And then there's access doors between the shuttlebay and the outerdoor that accesses the 'unfinished' areas of the ship, so construction materials could quickly be loaded inside the construction site.

</Fanwank>

20. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a nice idea but in the end it would'de probably been a class-specific connector to the main shuttlebay like the one on the Nemesis dock.

Much larger and the main shuttlebay can also be used as a temporary storage area due to its enormous size.