Seasoning Season 8

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Arpy, Jan 17, 2013.

1. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

That would have been awesome!
    It's also a shame that the Ent-D went down in a terrible battle.

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Definitely bring back the bluegill paratistes from "Conspiracy."

3. Nacluv

Nacluv Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would actually like to see her in several episodes of Season 8, either along or taking turns with Tomalak.

4. Nacluv

More Vulcans (eventually one episode which orbits around Spock and the progress of the reunification). Maybe a continuation of Conspiracy where we learn more about the creatures. Of course, at least one or two Worf episodes is obligatory through tradition. Likewise with Q.

And I always wanted TNG to rip off TOS more dstinctly. Such as a mirror universe episode, premature aging (exactly as we saw it in The Deadly Years), Picard or Riker put on trial for either the death or "death" of a crewmember. I'm uncertain if someone would really die and that it's just proven that it was not anyone's fault or if there would exist some kind of vengeance factor and that the person would either fake his death or give his life for the cause. The representatives of judiciary would come onboard the Enterprise and hold the trial there instead.

There are some interesting unused stories from both TOS and TNG that were never used that I like.

The first one is a Q story that was intended to be in Season 5 of TNG. From Memory Alpha:
    As a Spock & Sarek fan, I of course would love this idea simply for the sole reason of seeing them on my screen. I do think the plot would need some developments/interpolations though.
    There are also many TOS stories that could easily be accommodated to TNG. BTW, there should be a "Seasoning Season 4" in the TOS forum.

I especially like this one and I always found this story more suitable for TNG rather than TOS. Especially considering that the conceptual emanations are somewhat cognate with Angel One.

5. Nacluv

I'd also like to see people getting more serious in relationships. Such as Riker and Deanna. I'd also like to see or at least hear something new about Thomas.

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I don't think it'd be a good idea to have a two parter that demonizes capitalism. Capitalism only fails when the government intercedes on behalf of big corporations to help maintain their monopolies, or when capitalists commit fraud. Ferengi in real life would do really well for a little while then fall flat and lose everything. If anything, it might have been nice to see some cultures that actually benefited from interacting with the ferengi.

Successful capitalism is the art of creating situations where people gain from benefitting you, and that's not the MO of the ferengi we saw in the series at all. Ferengi capitalism is just hegemony of the greedy.

And in the Federation due to replicators there's no scarcity of resources, so no need for wheeling and dealing, if anything the ferengi are only able to retain a capitalistic society by creating artificial shortages. (The same way the diamond industry keeps diamonds pricey).

For TNG season 8 I definitely would have had a more definite resolution to the Romulan arc, which had a recurring storying in the vein of Sins of the Father/Reunion/Redemption.

7. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

This would have been epic! I like the ideas of Picard and Riker finally being promoted, as well as a full-blown DS9 crossover. TBH that was a bit of a wasted opprtunity, but it's been done in the comics.

8. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

For the Mirror Universe lovers...great cover.

9. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some really good ideas here! I'd have loved a season 8 based on some of this stuff.

10. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

They could have used S8 to build on former recurring/guest characters, giving them more to do and bigger back stories, then near the end of the season had several of the main characters leave to pursue new careers and opportunities, whilst the newbies take over their positions.

Picard remains onboard whilst Riker finally gets his command. Data would then be promoted to Commander and becomes Number One. He would be replaced at Ops by Sam Lavelle.

Worf is requested on DS9 to help with the Klingon problem in the region, so he and Deanna (who would be newly married) would depart to help out with the situation. They would both be replaced with new characters (a female Security Chief and a male Counsellor).

Geordi goes with Riker to serve as his XO and is replaced by a new female Chief Engineer. Though I liked her, I would love to see Crusher depart as well and replaced by Doctor Selar, but dropping all but two characters may be a little too much.

If they wanted to, they could also resume the full-time position of Chief Conn Officer with one of the many extras who have filled the post; I'd like to see Sariel Rager back on the Bridge. Also if they really wanted to they could introduce a new Science Officer, seeing as how Data would no longer be covering the duties of Ops/Science.

TNG could then continue onwards, in the new format and they could forget all about VOY, whilst keeping DS9 looking at the darker side of the Trekverse.

11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

If they were to have done an eighth season instead of going the movie route, here's what I would have liked to see.

Take the whole season to show that things are winding down and these people are getting ready to move on to other careers and other lives. Picard and Crusher should finally get together, acknowledge their love for each other, and retire, and Riker should get the Enterprise. That's really what Riker's character arc (such as it was) was leading up to. That's why he declined all those other ships...because he wanted the Enterprise, duh! Data and Geordi are the ones who should have gotten their own commands on other ships (or better yet, have one in command and the other the first officer of the same ship, as TNG made it obvious that they've become best friends.) Troi would stay on as counselor after realizing that she and Riker are ultimately just friends and nothing more, and both are happy with that arrangement. And Worf would have had a great opportunity to return to the Klingon homeworld with Alexander in order to teach him the ways of being a Klingon that he didn't have with his own parents.

No useless planet-of-the-week episodes. No Romulans, no Klingons, no Ferengi. Nothing but our heroes' stories.

All of this stuff was right there waiting to happen. And it didn't, because they decided to make four lackluster movies instead with Picard as action hero, Data as his sidekick, and the other five characters just, you know, there.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  12. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

Q said the Borg were but one of many terrors out there beyond what the Feds were capable of dealing with: let's see another!

What WERE the matters so pressing the Romulans were MIA all those years?! My theory? They were purging all the smooth headed Romulans from power.

13. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

A translation of Imzadi, into a two part episode. I think Imzadi came out before the end of the series.

Oh and a promotion of Riker to Captain and Picard to the restored rank of Commodore. A rank between Admiral and Captain with the 4 solid pips of a Captain and a bar underneath as a rank insignia.