Avery Brooks Arrested for DUI!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Frontier, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

http://www.tmz.com/2012/01/31/star-trek-avery-brooks-arrested-dui/#.TyiBkPliviE

:eek:

Say it Ain't So, Sisko!

I've met Avery twice, and he does not strike me as the type.

...Weed? Sure! I could see Avery with some herb, no problem.

But DUI?

Naw!

Shocked by this, to say the least!

2. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

I got drunk............I drove..............I got arrested..........I got embarrassed..................I think I can live with it...........computer...erase that....

3. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why are you any more shocked by this than hearing about anyone else being arrested for a DUI?

Also you say you've "met him twice and he doesn't seem like the type"? What do you imagine potential drink-drivers to look/behave like exactly?

4. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

That is a shame. A very serious offence.

5. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess it wasn't "hammock time."

6. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm in CT and I'm thinking "Damn, Avery Brooks was in CT and I didn't know... we could've hung out and stuff." Is that inappropriate?

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's a big guy.

two drinks is over the limit for ordinary sized people.

Does that mean that he had drunk a lot, or that his body just reacted odd after have one drink.

As some one who does not drink for fun, I find the idea of limits to be hilarious.

Driving is so dangerous even if you're stone cold sober.

It's the modern world.

Human beings do not drink every day unless something is wrong.

Zero tolerance would get rid of this nasty grey area where people think they're fine, but the breathalyser disagrees.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

When I met him he seemed completely out of it. In a genial, not booze related way. Wouldn't have gotten in a car with him though.

9. Paulcpick

Paulcpick Commander Red Shirt

Why are we assuming that he was DUI of Alcohol? All it says is he failed a sobriety test(those are hard even when your stone cold sober) and was charged with a DUI, it doesnt say under the influence of what. It could have been alcohol, but it also could have been a half dozen other things as well.

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

While drinking and driving is a serious no-no, I know first-hand that it's real easy for a casual drink or two to turn into one too many.

The important thing is that nobody got hurt.

11. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I lived in Connecticut for many years. A few friends of mine, some black and some who are Indian, got pulled over a number of times for the most minor of infractions (like one license plate light being out), or none announced at all (cop never stated "why"). One of them came back from a dinner and had a couple of drinks. He was well within the legal limit, but the cop made him take the breathalyzer test TWICE, as if he was trying to get him to fail.

I'm not saying all Connecticut cops are like this, but there does seem to be a notable number of them profiling and generally pushing things farther than they need to be.

Brooks may have gotten unlucky and was pulled over by the wrong cop...

12. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

After seeing him in the Shatners "The Captains" documentary... well, let's just say this isn't particularly shocking news!

13. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope he is treated like any normal person would be. It's not that I have any kind of grudge against him--I like what he did with the character of Sisko--but I don't think the justice system should play favorites, especially with the kinds of crimes that could harm oneself and/or others.

14. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He needs to learn from Sir Patrick Stewart and take public transit everywhere! In all seriousness, I'm glad nobody else was hurt and I hope he learns his lesson here. Still love Avery Brooks, just disappointed.

15. DeepSpaceWine

DeepSpaceWine Commander Red Shirt

Maybe he should have asked the computer to put his 'shuttlecraft' on auto-pilot, or get Jake to pilot it. If Siddig was in the car, maybe he could have removed the captain from command. Yeah... too many damn actors drink & drive. It's just dumb. They're usually protected by the Prophets of Beer, Bacchus, it's everyone else on the road or thereabout who's in danger.

And yes, I was picturing him acting like from "In the Pale Moonlight" or "Itssss real!" (which ep was that? The asylum visions?)

16. WarpCore

WarpCore Lieutenant Red Shirt

Where do you get that? It would take at least 5 normal drinks for someone average size to exceed Conn's .08 BAC limit. That's given no other drugs are involved.

17. tafkats

tafkats Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

Darn near anybody can get one DUI. It's not hard to get to .08 and not realize it.

It's the second DUI that shows you really have a problem.

18. DS9 Gal AZ

DS9 Gal AZ Captain Captain

I can't really judge the situation since I don't know the circumstances. It is possible this was a racially-motivated arrest, and it is just as possible he drank too much and drove, simple as that.

19. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Frankly, I'd be more concerned that he might have been unfairly targeted because of his skin color than I would be that he'd get preferential treatment because he used to be on some TV shows.

As opposed to, what, a normal number of construction workers and school teachers? Acting is a profession, like any other, and it's unreasonable to think that there's a higher percentage of DUIs amongst actors than other professions.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

From my mother who is a drunk and tiny.

As I said, I very rarely drink.

Mostly because my mother never stops.

Y'see how that works?

Childhood trauma.

One thing...

If this had happened while he was filming DS9, would he have lost his job because of some morals clause like those girls form Lost, or had to chose between Rehab or Jail Like Rodney Downy JR who was suddenly unavailable for for season 5 of Ally Mcbeal...

Who would have gotten the Sisko's command if young Avery was making the same foolish choices?