If you could create your own Star Trek series, what would it be like?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by MedicalHologram, Dec 28, 2010.

1. MedicalHologram

MedicalHologram Cadet Newbie

I would love to see a series entitled "Star Trek: Section 31" focusing on an advanced ship - perhaps a refit Excelsior (like the Lakota) or a Prometheus class - that's part of the Federation's secretive Section 31 branch. The ship itself would be equipped with a stolen Romulan cloaking device, or a Federation phase cloak.

In most respects, it would be like a spy thriller, with the ship constantly facing off against the Tal Shiar while trying to evade detection from Starfleet at the same time. Meanwhile, the crew tries to cope with the psychological stress of being part of Section 31 and there could be room for tons of moral dilemmas.

The standard "alien of the week" episodes would be the crew attempting to protect the Federation from various threats; like secretly stopping the production of Omega molecules on some random planet, for example.

It could culminate with the crew deciding to defect from Section 31, resulting in the ship being hunted by Section 31, Starfleet and the Tal Shiar. Of course, the ship would safely get to Starfleet and reveal everything, thus resulting in a happy ending. :)

If you could design your own Star Trek show, what would it be like?

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: If you could create your own Star Trek series, what would it be li

This is a two-pronged question. Do I need to worry about ratings or not?

If I do have to worry about ratings and wanted to ensure my Star Trek show were a success, I'd insist it be on Showtime (CBS and CW are the only other two possibilities), set it in the 23rd C with a very TOS-like crew going on semi-serialized adventures. I'd keep things PG-13 simply because that's the brand identity of Star Trek regardless of whether it's on premium cable but the writing would be somewhat more sophisticated. I wouldn't be adverse to story lines about S31 - I'd look around for a wide variety of story types.

If I don't have to worry about ratings, I'd do a post-Dominion War series in which Garak resurrects the Obsidian Order and makes trouble for the peace between the Feds and Dominion. For casting, I'd hire a bunch of genre series fan favorites like Josh Holloway, Michael Emerson, Adrian Pasdar and Kristin Bell, plus Zachary Levi and Adam Baldwin when Chuck gets cancelled this year.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

If I didn't have to worry about ratings, I'd like to do a show based in the latter half of the 22nd century, when the Federation is still new and all these various races are still learning how to work together. The galaxy would be a much wilder and more dangerous place at this time, and I'd probably throw in some intrigue with some faction or another trying to destroy the tenuous peace between the Federation and the Romulans and restart the war. That wouldn't be the main plot or anything, it's just a random subplot I just now thought up.

If I did have to worry about ratings, I'd do a show set in the JJverse's 23rd century.

4. Jakks

Jakks Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^Sound interesting.

5. Alex_Kaeda

Alex_Kaeda Ensign Newbie

Id set a series just after star trek 6. Peace with the klingons is still tenous, rouge klingons who are opposed to peace are running around. Words like "remodulate/reconfigure" would be considered dirty. The ship wouldn't be a big slick sleek excelsior, it would be a little older, smaller.... I'm thinking a constellation class.

It wouldn't be all high tech, with answers just a computer away, no holodeck. Can't use weird beams to magicly solve problems (like that cloaked klingon cruiser that is being commanded by the renegade warlord).

6. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Several ideas I had:

-I like the post-Star Trek VI timeframe, though I wouldn't do a full series, perhaps a STDVD movie or miniseries starring Sulu, Uhura, and Chekov and focusing on the early Klingon-Federation peace, and perhaps Romulan attempts to sabotage it (might lead up to the Tomed Incident).

-A 23rd century series with Robert April as captain, perhaps a truer TOS prequel than ENT.

-Starfleet Academy (24th century)

-A 24/25th century series with Worf as captain of the Enterprise-F.

7. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

First of all I'd insist it was broadcast over the Web (and maybe think about selling it on as syndication to non "Cable" channels around the World if there was enough demand), that way, overzealous bastards operating Television Networks won't cancel it if it doesn't fulfill enough viewers to ensure a better vintage at their annual Stockholders party

I'd set it just after NEM (2378-) where a Truce is being laid out with the Romulans (who are feeling slightly more trustworthy with the Federation), It would be more like TNG and about exploring, however i'd look to DS9 (Seasons 4-7) and ENT (Season 3) for inspiration when I would need to have an epic story arc

To ensure that it attracted more than just your average fans of "Star Trek", i'd have some familiar issues (Relationships, Families, Friends,etc) woven in, but no unbearably so it becomes "One Tree Hill" in Space, I'd focus more on our established Alien Cultures, rather than the "Alien Of The Week" and if I was to introduce another Alien Species, i'd make sure they had a recurring appearance

Finally I'd try and undo some of the damage done to the "Borg" and have them once again appear as a credible threat, who cannot be stopped by simply beaming a Photon into their engine section, I might even consider doing something Trek hasn't really attempted before and have a great cull (or permanent Assimilation) of well liked characters at the hands of the Borg and have a desperate solution implemented that only serves to delay the Borg for another couple of seasons... Sure, this may seem like i'm wanting to have the Borg as the "Primary Antagonist", but in actual fact having them make a couple of "Impactful" appearances in "Dominion War" like Story Arcs, would restore some of the lost credibility

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

But how would you get enough of a budget for a production quality better than fanvids? Or are you shooting for fanvid quality (in which case, you've already got plenty of options to watch).

9. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Mine:

-Basic cable series (with rebroadcasts in syndication weeks later).
    -25th-Century USS Enterprise.
    -About six main characters.
    -No mostly monochromatic sets or uniforms.
    -Women seen in either trousers or miniskirts.
    -Bug-eyed, man-eatin' monsters on occasion.
    -Frequent cans of whup-ass being opened.
    -New villains (including a new main villain character).
    -No bumpy-headed alien of week stories.
    -No heavy technobabble.
    -Past events staying in the past unless a new story requires one to be revisted every once in a while.
    -Characters that may not necessarily survive at the end of each season (including the captain).
    -No mutha------- Borg or Dominion, and the Klingons and Romulans would only appear maybe once a season.

10. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would be a pretty crappy show because I've got no experience in television production and no real idea of what goes into making a successful series work on the business end. So it would probably end up canceled before I could even get a pilot shot.

If someone who was experienced in television production got the nod to run a new show but was so creatively bankrupt that they decided to ask the advice of someone without a TV credit to his name, I'd suggest they spin something off of the new movie as far as look and general set-up goes, with a mix of action, space opera, and philosophical head-scratcher episodes (e.g. COTEOF, Tuvix, Tapestry).

11. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would be awesome. For some. For others, it would be rubbish.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Set in the 25th century on board the Enterprise G. Some details like this is not a brand new, just launched ship, but rather a ship which has been in service several years. And the chief engineer is a Romulan.

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

- Pike era set after "The Cage"
    - Nice animation
    - top notch writing but still essentially PG-13 rated
    - extrapolate from what we saw yet not be hamstrung by it
    - do what ENT didn't do right as a prequel
    - no ties whatsoever to JJ drek
    - keep ties and references to post TOS work to a minimum or none at all
    - get it scheduled in prime time

14. goofy

goofy Lieutenant

I'd either go "TMP" (The Lost Years) aboard a Constellation-Class or Phobos-Class refit/upgrade. The ship, while tracking a slaver vessel to a distant world with no lifesigns...they pick-up a strange energy reading from under a huge cliff-dwelling / aztec temple settlement that's WAY the heck off the charts, even for a world conducting 20th / 21st Century type geo-thermal/nuclear energy-level experiments.

But, as mentioned before, there's no skyscrapers, roads, cities, towns, high tension wires or other signs of civilization...there's just thick forestation obviously-visible on the surface.

or set ~right after~ Nemesis aboard a Legacy-Class starship that's being sent through the wormhole to deal with the Dominion's problems with the Hur'q. ("The Enemy Of My Enemy").

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ That's a story, not a series.

16. goofy

goofy Lieutenant

I'm just setting up a premise for the series. *nods* You need a hero, a villain, a reason for being in the situation in the first place. Yup, yup!

17. epoc252

epoc252 Cadet Newbie

I love Star Trek & I quite like JAG, so 'Star Trek: JAG' always seemed like a no brainer to me. It would be of course set in the TNG to VOY era as that's my favourite. Or in 2387 (Stardate 64???.?) as that what it should be now in real time? I think, I'm not sure.

Of couse not everyone likes JAG or crime show so I expect not everyone to warm to the idea.

So yeah... that would be my idea: 'Star Trek: JAG'

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'll just quote myself from another thread:

19. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would have a series set directly after the end of Star Trek First contact seeing the build up to the formation of starfleet.

Perhaps have a scene where the government doesn't believe that the vulcans are actually aliens and having to do blood tests or something

Or that series that I was working on, in a different thread. Where we follow the guys that are the sort of middle men of the federation, set in the early 23rd century

20. Jerikka Dawn

Jerikka Dawn Captain Captain

Law & Order: Lakarian City or some other police/court procedural drama set in the Star Trek Universe -- either in the Federation, Cardassian Union, Romulan, or Klingon Empires. Either that or a Klingon centered Star Trek based aboard a Bird of Prey or Klingon cruiser. Two of my favorite episodes are DS9 "Once More Unto the Breach", and DS9 "Soldiers of the Empire" and I've always wanted a series based around a Klingon ship.