The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Well, weapon's fire always had the strength of plot in Trek.
    That's why George-boy had to stay at the controls (that and to provide cover for the shuttles).

Precautionary measure in the event that the unknown ship turns out to be hostile.

2. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

i still think part of this could go back to the narada had just come from the singularity as i noted earlier.
    they might not have had warp drive for instance.
    or had been up to full power.
    a ship that massive might not be that nimble on partially powered thrusters.
    plus wasnt nero's crew like him miners.
    their anger and thrist for revenge isnt the greatest combination for making quick military decisions.
    nero and his crew represent passion unbridled and made form through revenge.
    they lack not just logic but disciplined thinking.

3. Bobatiel

Bobatiel Commodore Commodore

Since others are repeating themselves, then so will I. :)

Nitpicking the Narada/Kelvin scene is pointless.

The whole point of that scene was to establish George Kirk as the heroic father who scarificed himself to save others, including our beloved JTK. That's it!

Either you get that, you miss that point, or just enjoy nitpicking.

The minutiae of the details are easily exaplained just by speculating and is pointless unless it's enjoyable.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  4. Bobatiel

Okay, I'l play the speculation game.

The Kelvin was described as heavily armed with advanced weaponry.

Maybe, just maybe they could have damaged the Narada thereby limiting its capabilities.

Maybe, just maybe, going through the black hole also affected the Narada.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  5. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

A better one would be "RUN!"

Borne out in the fact that Pike made the exact same mistake.

Anyway, I totally get the point of the Kelvin scenes, and the point of the other scenes in that movie. It'd be hard *not* to get the points in the paint-by-numbers, brainless writing style NuTrek was done in.

I'm saying there are plenty of ways to achieve the same goal which would have been better, more consistent, more intelligent.

You think I'm wrong. That's cool. So I guess we're done.

6. serotonin_wraith

serotonin_wraith Ensign Red Shirt

I have mixed feelings about this movie. The scenes that are great, are really great. But some aspects of the film are so annoying, it was impossible for me to ignore them and just enjoy the film. So, 10/10 for parts of it, 2/10 for others.

The first scene is the best. That sucked me in emotionally, and I cared for George even though I'd only been introduced to him minutes earlier. Wondering why they hadn't named their child in all the months they'd known he was on the way removed me a little, but it wasn't a big deal. I expect some people do wait until their baby is born before thinking up a name. Unfortunately, that was one of the milder 'grievances' I had when it came to the script.

Some of the story points were hard to get my head around, and still are. The black holes, while caused by the same red matter, have different characteristics just to satisfy story development. Can you survive entering one and come out at a different time, or will you get crushed and disappear like the planet? If they start in the middle of an object, is surrounding matter sucked in instantly, or does it generate some hazy cloud and leave the object as it is for ages?

The capabilities of Earth and Vulcan were practically nonexistent by the look of it. The Vulcans, who are ahead of humans technologically speaking, weren't aware that the planet was being destroyed? Were their scanners malfunctioning? Not one ship to defend the home planet incase anyone wanted to attack? Same with Earth - didn't they have weapons to fire up and destroy the mining arm? We have that capability even in our time.

Do the turbolifts travel at warp speed in this new Trek? Spock goes from Engineering to the Bridge in about three seconds, even though they're at opposite ends of the ship! The look of Engineering didn't impress me either. Most of the ship is slick, clean and white, except for that section, which looks like a dirty old power plant. This isn't the USS Titanic.

Out of all the places Kirk could have been jettisoned to, he ends up on the same planet as old Spock, but not only that, he ends up in the same patch of land as old Spock, and even manages to run into the exact same cave as old Spock! I know the story needs to move along, but that's too much of a coincidence to be believable. Especially when we discover Spock knew all about the outpost nearby, and had no idea Kirk would be in the way. Why hadn't he made his way there earlier?

The new characters need to grow on me some more. For someone holding back his emotions, young Spock does smirk a lot through this, even in the serious scenes. I could go on with more things like this, but I'll stop and talk about the good side of it. Yes, there are good parts!

The special effects were impressive, and the music was quite good. There were some good funny moments. The idea to go from breathing only to atmospheric sounds on the drop scene was a great idea. I managed to spot a cameo from a Stargate Atlantis actor on the second viewing too, so I was pleased with myself for that. It helped reading the 'Countdown' comic books leading up to the film, as it gave the whole backstory to Nero - something I may have felt was lacking if I'd only seen him in the movie.

There was the potential for me to be bowled over like most others who've seen this, but mainly because some of the script needed a serious ironing out, I find it hard to give it a top score. Still, it was better than Nemesis, so things might have taken a turn for the best in the Trek franchise.

***Can't get rid of that bugging size tag***

[I can. - M']

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2009
  7. Feofilakt

Feofilakt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

con·trived (k[​IMG]n-tr[​IMG]vd[​IMG])adj. Obviously planned or calculated; not spontaneous or natural; labored: a novel with a contrived ending.

:( Let us not defend mediocrity with too much vigor. It happened because the story they had needed it to happen, and no other reason. Not the best way to write, but I guess it worked.

8. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Don't know what causes those SIZE tags - something about editors I think, if you're writing your post outside of the BBS then use Notepad or something like that.

Anyway, I've edited your post for you :)

And now that I've been able to read what you wrote ;) - the problems you have are the same ones a lot of people have had with the movie. In fact, I think most people would agree these are problems and our level of enjoyment stems from how much we can ignore them.

9. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

The fact you didn't "get it".

10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

We finally saw Star Trek today for this first time. I've been avoiding spoilers like crazy.

Overall, I enjoyed it very much. It was very exciting, moved along nicely, and had great action and f/x.

I found the villian to be completely non-compelling. It was sort of like Shinzon and the Xindi joined forces. I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I'll bet purists are shitting themselves over more time travel and the timeline reboot....

:lol:

I was really confused about where Nero was between the time he attacked the Kelvin and the time he attacked Vulcan. I probably just missed something obvious, but I didn't quite get that part. Spock's story of being drawn into the black hole with him and then getting dumped on the ice planet didn't make sense to me either. I will most definitely watch it a second time and see if I can wrap my brain around it all.

I'm glad the movie is doing well enough to consider sequels. I'll be interested to see if Abrams can get "the heart of it" right. I'm not sure he's there yet, but it was a promising start.

Oh, and BRING BACK THE GREEN CHICK!!!

:techman:

I was going to give it an "Above Average", but what the hell. It was great fun despite it's shortcomings. I gave it an "Excellent".

11. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Awesome! :D

Yeah, the second time through you'll pick up A LOT more.

J.

12. flcat

flcat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the green chick bought it on one of the ships that got blown up at Vulcan.

13. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

That's what my wife said.

Bummer.

:(

14. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

don't worry, she may have gotten away in one of the shuttles.

15. greenmystik

greenmystik Captain Captain

I like the movie a lot. They were able to rewrite the history of the original cast and not shoot the established canon(sp?) in the ass. I found it pretty inventive as it gives them more freedom with the sequel.

The only thing I had a problem with is that they stranded older Spock in the alternate universe. Not a big problem other than it messes with Trek Lit. And they destroyed Vulcan!!! Holy crap!!! I didn't think they would actually go through with it so that was a nice surprise.

Overall great movie in my opinion.

16. Bobatiel

Perhaps it's time to lay the older Spock to rest.

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Highlighting the entire text and hitting the [​IMG] button before posting will kill most alien formatting tags picked up along with text copied from elsewhere. Once posted, it's pretty much go through and delete them, one by one.

18. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

^canada violation :lol: :lol:

19. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

Hahaha. True. Shuttles are invincible.

20. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just saw the movie last night and am still "coming down" from it. I was totally sucked into the movie from the first second and the movie didn't lose my attention once until the end credits. Plus my wife and I saw it at the IMAX, which made it better- at moments during the film (i.e. the space battles), it felt like we were moving along with the ships, particularly during the opening battle scene with the Kelvin.
    The fact that that movie was a "reboot" and totally unaffiliated with the established continuity of the original Star Trek series was kind of jarring and hard to get used to at first, particularly having Leonard Nimoy portray the older Spock in the same identical way that he portrayed Spock in TOS and TNG but after a while I got used to it and accepted it. There were tons of subtle nods and homages to TOS and all of the new actors and actresses did a great job IMHO of representing their characters, particularly Pine as Kirk, Quinto as Spock, and Urban as McCoy. They all totally nailed their roles for me.
    Admittedly, there ARE a lot of things in the movie that require some pretty significant suspensions of belief, the most obvious being Kirk's metoric rise from being a Cadet to Captain (at age........?) by the end of the movie but then again, he DID save Earth and he IS James-Freaking-Kirk, so I guess that's got to count for something. How he wrested control of the Enterprise from Spock seemed a bit underhanded and scheming but Spock couldn't have been (and obviously wasn't) as stable as he needed to be in order to perform his duties as Captain "admirably" after the destruction of his homeworld and the death of his mother (played, incidentally, by a remarkably well disguised Winona Ryder). Although, such things have happened on TOS (i.e. "The Enterprise Incident") so I guess there is some precedent for such a situation.
    Nero, while not a "Khan-caliber" villian was at least much improved from some of the more recent Trek villians and certainly better than the last villian, Shinzon. Nero's grievances seemed realistic and his actions in this movie at least made more sense than Shinzon's in "Nemesis".
    The special effects were excellent as expected. I loved the more fluid movements of the ships when compared to TOS. The only similar comparison from the original Trek series I can think of offhand was the battle against the Borg at the beginning of "First Contact." Whenever there was a battle scene, it felt more like watching a space battle from, say, "Star Wars" rather than Star Trek (which is a GOOD thing, in my book).
    Michael Giacchino composed an excellent score for the movie. During the scene where Kirk is stranded on Delta Vega, his score sounded highly reminiscent of the composers for TOS and he, of course, incorporated Alexander Courage's famous theme from TOS into the end credits weaving it together with the newer aggressive action score.
    All in all, I LOVED the film and I'm very satisfied with how it turned out despite having had some initial reservations about the whole idea of a "reboot". It seems as though Abrams has successfully managed to breathe new life into the franchise and I sincerely hope the new Trek lives long and prospers! :bolian: