Do you think we will ever get TNG, DS9, and Voyager on Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Falcor5, Mar 11, 2009.

?

Do you think we will ever get TNG, DS9, and Voyager on Blu-ray?

1. Yes it is just a matter of time!

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. Maybe a small "fan collective" set to see if it sells

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Not likely but there is a small chance

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Never the costs are to much

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have just been thinking lately how cool it would be to see these shows in HD. It seems a real shame that we may never get any of the 24th century Trek shows in HD. I know there is tons of effects work that would have to be redone so I wonder if its even feasible? Do you think there is any chance we will get these shows in HD someday? Maybe they could do a test and make some new Fan Collective sets for Blu-ray like a Borg set featuring the borg episodes from the three series and see how they sell and if they do well move forward with more sets?

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

All of those series would have to have all new effects in order to be released on Blu-Ray.

This is because all editing for these shows was done on videotape, and all effects were created on tape as well. So they will automatically be unusable and unairable on anything but standard def.

The live action film elements could be reused, but all effects would have to be re-created from scratch.

Enterprise is the only Trek series that was made, from the get-go, to be airable in HD and able to be released on Blu-Ray. We could have BR sets of that show right now. ENT will probably be the next Trek series released on BR, for that very reason.

3. Falcor5

So it sounds like you think we will never see them on bluray then? I am hoping Paramount eventually decides that these franchises are to valuable to never release again! There will definetly be a rather large upfront cost which is why I think they may go the fan collective route if they ever do it to see how they sell to gauge further intrest in season sets!

4. Messianni

Messianni Commodore Commodore

Problem being even with only three seasons/79 episodes, the CBS Digital team behind TOS-R didn't always have that great of a budget, so the effects at times can vary wildly from looking like super-CGI-fest to genuinely transparent, redone effects.

It is, sadly, hard to believe if they couldn't put in that much money towards three seasons that they'll do it for 21 more.

5. T'Boggan

T'Boggan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If Blue ray becomes standard then quite possibly. It depends if there is time before the next format comes along!

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

We will probably see a Fan Collective of remastered eps, before anything else.

7. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, Paramount loves to make addtional money off the fans.

8. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think this is probably what it comes down to. It's clear that DVDs won't last forever. So sooner or later Paramount will have to contemplate using a newer, high resolution platform. In other words, they'll probably have to invest in upgrading the effects sooner or later.

Whether this will happen in time for BluRay is another question. I think it's certainly possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

9. Stewey

Stewey Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I voted yes in the poll, but it is really down to how long Blu-ray lasts. I get the feeling and I could be wrong that Blu-ray is still only being slowly adopted by consumers and if that trend continues then I could see Trek skipping the Blu-ray format in favour of the next advanced format after blu-ray ends its life.

Personally I'm completely happy with the DVD's I have allready and the blue-ray versions must for me have a lot more to offer than a cosmetic upgrade, I want more extras to be included to justify the expense.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't understand the need. Modern Trek DVD's look fine upscaled to 720p.

11. Messianni

Messianni Commodore Commodore

"Fine" and "full 1080p definition" are two different things. They certainly don't blown to 1080p.

12. Falcor5

Great point. TVs and technology are only going to get better in the future so at some point they are either going to have to upgrade the effects or they may never be able to release these shows again.

13. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

They were also in uncharted territory. They didn't know how far they can, or should, push the change in the shots. They also weren't sure it would sell enough to make their money back, which is probably why they aired them on TV first, to get funding from advertising and syndication. If they had done it straight to DVD, it might have taken longer for them to show a profit.

Now that they've crossed that hurdle, the next series should be easier, in spite of being longer. They're also only half the age of TOS, so they don't have to put as much effort into re-designing as many shots, just re-create them, as each series had more and more dynamic and unique visuals as they progressed, less re-use of stock material.

14. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

Not really, the highest resolution will be the resolution of the film. If there are higher formats, you'll simply have to remain stuck with that resolution or blown it up and cause blurring. So if you make the special effects at the resolution of film, you have to do them only once, and you have the special effects for all possible future formats.