What is NBC thinking????

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Keith1701, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

But ratings do not equal profit when you are paying your star WAY more than he's worth.

A lot of people bitched when Star Trek: Enterprise was cancelled despite having better ratings than Veronica Mars, which was renewed.

However, Veronica Mars cost a lot less to produce, so it was a more profitable show despite having lower ratings than Enterprise.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Jimmy is also doing alot of pop culture things people actually understand

-He just did that Full House reunion skit. That just make older fans all nostalgic and laugh at their childhood.

-He did that history of rap with Timberlake that struck a chord with 25 to 30 year olds.

"OMG! I remember that beastie boys song!"

-He does alot of things young people understand

"You're mom accidentally wiped your PS3 save file etc because she thought it was dirty stuff etc etc.

Things like that

His first guest on The tonight show will be Will Smith. Expect a "Fresh Prince" moment and maybe a rap battle.

Ratings will be huge.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Umm... as a 25-30 year old we all watched Full House, that was the age of the people watching at the time. So how much "older" is older? :lol:

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Well I meant the kids of the 90's who are now nearing 30 like me.

I was assuming the lower end of Jimmy's audience is 14 to 18 roughly

Kids from the 90's understand the TMNT/Paul Reiser/ Home Improvement gags he does ocassionally

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It will be interesting to see if his show changes going to 11:30. When Letterman and Conan went to 11:30 their late night antics were tampered considerably.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

He being sent upstate to farm where he can run free.

7. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, interesting question. But because Fallon is so different from Conan and Dave, I don't think he will need to make as big a change as they did when they switched to 11:30. A lot of Dave and Conan's humor was somewhat dark and full of irony, Fallon doesn't seem to lean in that direction. His thing is more straightforward entertainment.

Oops, does that mean that you young GenXers have more 1950's-1960's cultural leanings? :lol:

Now that I think of it, the biggest change we may see is what The Roots play. Watching those guys on the "hallowed" Tonight Show set as the regular band is something I'm really looking forward to seeing. I grew up with first Skitch Henderson leading the Tonight Show band and then Doc Severinson (whose playing, I hated).

8. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Aren't they moving the show back to New York too? that might be a welcome change.

9. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I understand that Fallon's new Tonight Show will beam from NYC. Seth Meyers' show will originate in New York as well. And we all know that Letterman's show is in NYC. This is a lot of shows competing for the same pool of guests in the Big Apple. Jimmy Kimmel must love the fact that he's losing one major competitor in Los Angeles.

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

If only there was some way to get people from one coast to the other.... hm.....

11. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While it doesn't make much of a difference with guests who are on tour to every talk show to shill whatever shitty movie is soon to splat its fecal failure all over your local cinema screen, the city and guest pool of these shows do seem to give them some of their flavor.

There's also the occasional oddball like Howard Stern who finds it too onerous to be ferried in complete luxury in limos and jets for a few hours to make an appearance on the opposite coast.

12. bigdaddy

I don't understand this "Now we have all the people in NYC fighting for guests", it wasn't like the movie stares didn't go on every single talk show to begin with.

13. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone that they really want on The tonight Show will hop on Comcast's corporate leer jet and fly from LA to NYC in just a few hours. I doubt finding West Coast guests is even a consideration that they can't work around.

14. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Dave, I think had problems getting triple A list guests, but that had nothing to do with him being in NY. Fallon's Late Night guests seemed to imrpove dramatically from where it was when the show started. I don't see being based in NY as a problem at all for most guests.

Besides if that guest wants to be on the highest rated talk show at 11:30, and that is what most of them want, then they'll just have to get on a plane to Jimmy's show.

BTW, Dave must be getting at least a little satisfaction in knowing that he may not have been able to beat Jay in the ratings, but he has managed to outlast him at 11:30. :)

15. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

It will be interesting to see Fallon's ratings vs Letterman when Fallon takes over the show. I do worry somewhat about the move to NY, as the Tonight Show has been in NY for so long, with California being part of its flavour and culture.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fallon's starting guests used to be extremely SNL heavy betraying its roots.

Yeah, I think moving is definitely going to give a different flavor to The Tonight Show. It's where I learned of "Burbank".

17. Owain Taggart

Heh whoops, just noticed I wrote NY when I meant California in having been there so long. And yeah, at one point they even had a Johnny Carson park close by to the studio. When my Dad and I attended a taping in March though, we couldn't find it. We had tried finding it via address, but it looked to not be there anymore. Just another building instead.

18. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Well, it's a smart move for NBC. Leno's contract expires in September. He will want at least as much as he's been getting if not more.

Putting Fallon on now, airing each night AFTER the OLYMPICS will give Fallon's TONIGHT SHOW much more exposure than if they waited for September.

19. Owain Taggart

Something I've been thinking about. Perhaps it's less of a risk for them to keep Fallon in NY and move the Tonight Show there, in case Fallon doesn't work out. That way, they don't have to move him and his family, like they did with Conan. There might still be a possibility of having it move back to California if successful after a year or so. It would make sense to test the waters before making such a commitment, something they've probably learned from what happened with Conan.

20. bigdaddy

They are not moving the show. They are building him a brand new studio that will cost millions, they won't move him to CA after a little while unless he himself wants to move.