"If it appeared on screen, it's canon." THIS is canon?!?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Fuzzy Modem, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Everything after "The Cage" is a Talosian illusion. Except the DS9 bits written by Benny Russell.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ha ha, I forgot all about those!:rommie:

3. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Let's check this interesting and very palatable theory:

A forensic analysis of the picture reveals that it's exactly the same spot. If the clothes they wear are the same, too, I'd say we have a winner. ;)

Bob

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't get why STV needs to be "apocryphal". Spock has a half brother who decided to follow emotions, and who kidnaps the Enterprise in order to get to a planet where a powerful creature lives that pretends to be God. During the escape, Spock's brother is killed, and eventually the God creature is destroyed as well. That's a perfectly fine story. Had it been a TOS episode, nobody would bat an eye.

Just because of deck numbers and visual effects, everyone loses their minds.

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It doesn't have to be, of course, but when Shatner gleefully announced his premise for ST V, DC Fontana was asked to comment on her memo from the 60s in which she stated that, in order to preserve Spock's uniqueness in the ongoing TV series, writers were discouraged from being tempted to bring all manner of Spock siblings into the mix. The story probably would have been just as effective if Sybok had been a mentor or teacher, during the years when Sarek had shunned Spock.

After viewing the resulting script and film, Gene Roddenberry was quoted that he "considered parts of the movie to be apocryphal".

GR also disliked the concept of McCoy killing his own father, but De Kelley had appreciated the opportunity to play that scene.

6. Robert Comsol

Not true. In the movie "everyone" looses his/her mind, swallows a blue pill and doesn't mind being brainwashed while the great Captain Kirk / William Shatner is the only guy with balls and a backbone and the ultimate philosopher:

KIRK: Dammit, Bones, you're a doctor. You know that pain and guilt can't be taken away with the wave of a magic wand. They're things we carry with us, the things that make us who we are. ...If we lose them, we lose ourselves. I don't want my pain taken away. I need my pain.

Given this strong philosophical message in the best TOS tradition, I'd almost be tempted to rate this movie "A". :)

Unfortunately, it comes at the expense of every other Star Trek character in order to "paint" the James Kirk character larger than life. That should qualify for not that much more than an "F". :ack:

Bob

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Somehow, fans popularly remember that but very little of the other stuff he considered apocryphal - like almost all of TOS ("I have never been so foolishly heroic as depicted..." he writes as Kirk in the TMP novel, backed up by interview comments from Paula Block here. That link also has a quote from Roddenberry saying Wrath of Khan "is not Star Trek") and I read somewhere that Gene also felt the same about VI as he did V, believing that Starfleet officers were beyond things like racism (apparently "Balance of Terror" is especially apocryphal) but I can't find that quote right now.

This is why I'm glad GR never got to officially pick and choose which episodes/movies count and which don't. The guy seemed intent on reimagining the Trek universe, at the cost of what made it great in the first place.

8. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I'm no fan of STV, but that much was pretty consistent with the series. More often than not, the rest of the crew couldn't wipe their butts without Kirk there to order them. Even Spock didn't have the backbone to stand up to Decker in "The Doomsday Machine" until he got Kirk on the phone.

9. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

That really should have been DeForest Kelley's line. :techman:

10. Robert Comsol

I'm afraid that's like comparing apples and oranges. The crew was following orders because they were supposed to. Decker was outranking Spock but he was screwing with "Kirk's ship", and we all know how protective Kirk was about the Enterprise.

However, no one was forced or ordered to undergo brainwashing in ST V. The basic premise (everyone suffers from some trauma) is debatable itself, but that Kirk was the only one to stand against it (and not McCoy) is just too hard to believe, IMHO.

Bob

11. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

Well, but he did. For the first couple of seasons of TNG anyway. And for the duration TMP was produced.

Then again, "canon" only holds actual relevance for people actively involved in the production of new Trek. If any writer had tried to insert something GR regarded apocryphal during the first season of TNG, he or she would have almost certainly been forbidden to do so by Roddenberry. Nevertheless, Roddenberry-unrelated stuff like Star Trek V: The Final Frontier was still being produced and distributed by Paramount.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  12. The Old Mixer

Not at all, because Kirk is and always was the Big Damn Hero on TOS. The crew in general were brainwashed or otherwise under alien influences on several occasions. Why would McCoy suddenly take the heroic role of being able to shake off such influence by sheer willpower?

13. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    What the HELL was that?!?!

14. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Captain Kirk advertises DirectTV

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voILEz4iD_8[/yt]

15. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Because he did. Kirk did not stand alone.

Sybok showed Spock and McCoy their hidden pain, yet both did resist joining him.

16. The Old Mixer

Only after Kirk's example inspires him, IIRC.

17. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Cool ad. I was really surprised to see Simon Cadell from Hi-de-Hi! pop up at the end!

18. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Actually, it was a case that McCoy chose to stand with his friends rather than follow Sybok.

19. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A lot of straight dude would act as Kirk after this kind of transporter accident.:p I just hope there was not a fly with them.

Illogical, you collaterally make apocryphal Balance of Terror or all post-BOT stuff because there's a big discontinuity about weaponry.

20. Robert Comsol

:wtf: Huh? I can't possibly see what weaponry has anything to do with my post. Please post comments in the corresponding and correct threads.

Bob