TOS: The Weight of Worlds by Greg Cox Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Mar 16, 2013.

?

Rate The Weight of Worlds.

1. Outstanding

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Above Average

24 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. Average

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  4. Below Average

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

But it is the kind of issue that the books are perfect for explaining away. And canonacity really has nothing to do with it.

2. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

The consistancy and continuity of the novels are not canon but suggesting that TOS was inconsistant in this case was not accurate, er, flat out wrong, which is what I was commenting on in this case.

Changing the intent of TOS is dangerous even when it's in conflict with itself. The writers job should be to make TOS jibe with their own work, not the other way around. Their job is to defend and do justice to Canon, not reinterpret it or change it and declare it in error. The game master is never wrong.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You know, I puckishly considered having the Crusaders worship a sacred text known as the Canon, but decided that might be biting the hand that feeds me . . . :)

4. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know people throw around the phrase "LOL" far too haphazardly these days, but I literally laughed out loud at that one.

5. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Agreed! LOL

I do like that Trek fans, on a whole are much more flexible on canon than Star Wars fans.

On the religious issues in the book Greg, I am a religious person, and I was not offended at all. Conversion by the sword is never the answer because it is not true. Any time, any religion tried to do that, it has lost it's way (I say that as a Christian and take into account all the times "Christians" have been guilty of such heresy.) Religious extremism is always dangerous

6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Greg you should have done that, or maybe call it Cannon

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I understand what you're saying, but even if it isn't an "inconsistency" it's still a gap that is perfect for the novels to fill it.
    From what's been said it sounds like Kirk went from having three nephews to only one between episodes, so it's perfectly reasonable for the novels to explain what happened to the two who weren't around anymore.

8. xortex

The consistancy of canon is not open to debate. It is up to the writers to uphold the continuity of TOS even if they they have to stand on their head to do so or why not avoid the inherant conflict to begin with. just because the writer can't explain it doesn't mean that there is no explaination or it is or has to be an inconsistancy and therefore feel the need to correct TOS in any way or unless you feel a need to touch up the mona Lisa, I say get your own universe and leave TOS alone.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

:brickwall:Gaaaaaaahhhh! I already agreed it wasn't an inconsistency, all I'm saying now is it's the perfect example of the kind of things the books are good at explaining away. It doesn't have to be explained and could be ignored, but that doesn't change the fact that it is an unexplained change, and one of the things the books have done a lot over the years is explain those kinds of things.

10. xortex

The authors should have better things to do than contradict TOS. The concensus is that Star Trek is written by authors and not that authors are writing Star Trek as if they created the thing.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

What the hell are you talking about? I didn't say anything about contradicting TOS, all I said was that they could explain what happened to Kirk's nephews who disappeared. It's can't contradict the show if no explanation was given during the episode.

12. xortex

Why don't you try reading what Chris said again and concentrate on what I'm saying, not on what you're saying.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"You" meaning... you?

14. xortex

Me, meaning the liscencing dept. at CBS who pay the writers to keep things straight.

15. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're with CBS licencing? I'm getting confused here.

16. xortex

I didn't want to tell people my identity here, but, I'm a da pope. Pope Jorge Frances. I'm also with CBS liscencing of all star Trek tie-in media products and the ghost of richard Arnold.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. xortex

Reading it now and loving it. Starting chapter four and will finish it today hopefully. So far it's got a little of everything. Trek was always replete with surprise endings, not as twisted as TZ but enough of a bang for the buck payoff that revealed the writer's metaphysical leanings. TOS climaxed at every break usually with a sharp minor chord in a first inversion. Like Prokofiev's ending to the second movement of his fifth symphony.

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Glad you're enjoying the book so far!

Just to celebrate a bit: I delivered the next book to Pocket Thursday night--so I have the weekend off!

20. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore