The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

They're going to feel really different because of the quality of the picture, but there are going to be a lot of subtle differences from scene to scene that have more video FX in them...so while it may not hit you over the head with obvious stuff like starships, you'll see more stuff like the teaser trailer...lighting in the windows at warp, color correction, and so on.

I just watched TOS's Arena in HD...it occurred to me just how different it looks when the clarity is so apparent...looking at the improved contrast, I can see detail in the Gorn...individual plants on the rock face...It looks little like the episode I watched late at night when I discovered the show in the late 70s, early 80s.

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

^That's how I think it's going to feel to me with TNG. I remember watching Encounter at Farpoint and thinking how amzing the ship looked. When I see it in HD I have a feeling that it's going to be like that again.

3. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Forgive me for not having read the entire thread, as I'm coming a little late to the discussion. Having lived with the TNG episodes (UK PAL versions) for 20 odd years, I'm cautiously excited about a High Definition remaster.

But I only recently started watching the first series again, and it's the first time I'm watching the DVDs on an LCD, flatpanel display, with overscan turned off, which is how modern media should be displayed.

It revealed to me that not only is there work to be done with the special effects and so forth, but the whole series will have to be reframed as well. TNG was shot when overscan was still a get out clause for NTSC and PAL television, and a significant fraction of the image shot was lost to old type screen geometry, and that the filmmakers took that into account when making the show.

The episodes I'm watching now have scenes with picture information missing from the edges of the screen, with effects work not extending to the edges, with boom mikes and set construction creeping into the edges of shot.

The episodes will have to be reframed for Blu-ray, but they'll have to be careful to match the original look of the shows.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'm sure there will be some minor tweaking with the framing, even if it's 4:3...I bet well see someone post a screen capture comparison not long after.

I tried to keep away from STNG for awhile but I watched some of it on netflix, mainly to look for some hint of changes that could be made...wow, it looks REALLY fuzzy on Netflix...moreso than DS9. I can't imagine anyone not jumping on this to see what STNG should have looked like all along.

RAMA

5. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, the effects of the trailer have started to wear off. I need something more to discuss at length. When do you guys think we'll get to see some screenshots, perhaps of enhanced visual effects or even better, some clips from the remastered episodes?

6. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Probably before the end of the month/early November, since the sampler is coming out in December.

7. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I'm not really expecting any more previews myself, but then what do I know.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Mid-January was the last I heard.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

:lol: Yeah after the heady first few days of the announcement...you realize it's going to be 3-4 months before you can actually buy the darn thing.

10. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R discussion thread!

Also, his head may explode and he may lose bowel control.

Can't wait for this. Hell, I'm even looking forward to the crappy episodes.

11. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R discussion thread!

It's not just the deflector, it's the entire ship. It's less curvy, less sexy than the 6 footer. Its only saving grace is that its the only model with accurate ten forward windows.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The 4-ft model is just very clunky looking with thick edges and just, oy. It reminds me of a larger Playmates toy or something.

13. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Why don't you order it from Amazon Germany then? I live in Germany, and I often order things from Amazon UK when they are cheaper or better there.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I think we'll have a "full" trailer before the release of the set.

The only news I've heard is that the crew are looking at the mostly final 3 episodes at this point.

RAMA

15. Trevacious

Trevacious Captain Captain

Might they recreate the opening titles soundtrack with a full orchestra? It has always sounded thin to me, coming from years of admiring The Motion Picture version.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Agreed. I don't know if they'd go that far, but hope springs eternal I guess.

At first I thought, why don't they just use the original movie theme? But assuming there's legal issues which would keep them from doing so (i.e. negotiations with Jerry Goldsmith's estate or whoever), I think there might be editing/timing issues. Meaning: the TMP version may be a bit shorter or longer than the TNG version and so it would no longer sync up with the credits.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  17. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I imagine there was an issue, or TMP recording would have been used in TNG from the start. I doubt whatever issue there was 25 years ago will magically disappear today. But I'd love to hear a brand new recording assuming they have the budget for it.

18. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

The problem I see in that is that simply using the TMP version leaves that TOS into out in the cold, when the whole point of the rearrangement was to bridge the two.

I suspect we're stuck with the music we got, although it'll almost certainly be remastered, so hopefully won't sound quite so cheesy.

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I brought this up already, I like the idea...it was a 90-100 piece orchestra vs a 40 piece for the TV show. I doubt it will be changed though.

Eh..no one said it was cheesy.

RAMA

20. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

Another reason could be that they'd already hired Jerry Goldsmith to do a theme, and when they didn't like what he came up with (can't blame them, it's horrible), they got him to rework the TMP theme?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.