Stardate mentioned in Spock Prime's ship

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Captain59, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Captain59

Captain59 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Connecticut - Home of the Hartford Whalers
    When young Spock enters Spock Prime's ship near the end of the movie and the computer is asked when it was commissioned, the stardate said starts with a 2, as if it's the current stardate. Shouldn't the stardate mentioned be from the 24th Century?

Also, why wasn't Majel's voiced used, as it was earlier in the film at Chekov's station?

Thans

2. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

All the stardates in the film were the Gregorian calender years, appended with a two-digit suffix that seems to indicate what day of the year it is in decimal form.

Just wink at it and pretend it's always been that way.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Spock's Jellyfish ship saying the 24th century stardate they came from as "2387" is sort of a way of keeping things simple for both the new audience as well as Young/Pine Kirk. Rattling off a TNG-era five digit stardate with decimal points wouldn't jibe well with the newer, pre-TOS system used in the new movie where the current Earth calendar year accounts for the first four digits.

STAR TREK:COUNTDOWN indicates that Spock Prime and the Jellyfish are sucked into the artificial singularity around stardate 64470 or something along those lines in the old TNG-era/Prime timeline.

Spock was just telling young Kirk what year he came from, since saying "stardate 64-something-and-other" wouldn't make any sense to the young officer who'd never met Spock Prime before.

4. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The stardate the ship mentions is 2387... it is a 24 century stardate.

If you mean why they didn't use the old system that Trek was using so far well that's pretty obvious. TPTB decided to alter the way stardates are portrayed from now on.

5. Captain59

Wow, I get a big D'OH on this one. I was so concerned trying to figure out if they were doing the correct stardates I never realized they were using simple Gregorian years. Does that officially make me a Star Trek dork, or simply completely dense. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees.

Now I have to see it again knowing what the dates mean.

Thanks for the explaination.

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

All stardates used in the movie were based on the Gregorian calendar, rather than on the artificial (and sometimes wholly arbitrary) system of stardates used in previous Trek series and movies. Thus, 2387 is a 24th-century (3201-2400) stardate.

Majel's is the only computer voice given in the credits. Opinions vary about which computers in the film used her voice but, until I see any substantial indication that other people provided voices, I'm going to assume that all of them were her and that signal processing was used to make them sound different from each other.

7. Captain59

Interesting theory. It's a shame she can't provide the voice in future movies. Or perhaps they'll use things she's already recorded. I would be in favor of that.

8. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aw, don't worry about it; after the completely different form of stardates that we're used to hearing, one can be forgiven for getting a little confused over this issue.

To be honest, the stardate system-change kind of irked me a bit. Yeah, I know they did it to make it easier for non-fans to understand, but it's hard for me to pretend that stardates have always been like this when they were completely different the many other times they were used (insert your own "canon violation" joke here ;)). Granted, it is somewhat explainable given the film's mid-23rd century setting (perhaps they haven't switched over yet from the Gregorian calendar to the stardate system we're familiar with), but it makes no sense when the Jellyfish's computer uses it.

If they'd stuck with the TNG-era stardate system, the Jellyfish's commission date would have been somewhere between 64000.1 and 64999.9.

Eh, whatever. A minor quibble.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  9. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

So say we all! :cool:

10. Captain59

Maybe someone went back in time at some point we don't know about and gave the Federation the idea to use that crazy stardate system, but when Nero appeared at the beginning of this movie, it somehow prevented that time travel, so the Federation never got the idea of the funky stardate. When it doubt, blame it on Future Guy.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

AFAIK, the only voice Majel does is the computer on the Enterprise when Chekov is giving his authorization code.

(She is, after all, credited as the Starfleet computer voice, yes? So the Jellyfish would seem to be out, since it is of Vulcan design. And besides, signal processing or no, the Jellyfish computer didn't sound anything like Majel. And it'd be a lot easier to simply have somebody else do the voice than load Majel's down with processing. )

As for the stardates: Good. I'm glad they changed it. The old system was just basically random numbers anyway.

12. M'Sharak

Well, she had been the only computer voice credited, anyway, and yes, her credit currently shows as "Majel Barrett ... Starfleet Computer (voice)" on IMDb.

Here's an interesting thing, though: there's now a different name listed which I don't recall seeing before:

And the Enterprise computer is the one voice most people have been sure was Majel's. Looking up Lynnanne Zager, I find that she has a very respectable list of credits, some for voice roles or narration, but mostly for for ADR looping/ADR revoicing -- post-production stuff to mend imperfectly-recorded takes or to add background chatter or voices for unseen background characters. She's a voice pro, in other words.

13. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

^ M, i checked on those links you provided. Soooo interesting (and fun)...her website that has many of her previous voiceover jobs. Thanks for listing it!!

14. M'Sharak

Yeah, I thought a few people here might get a kick out of that -- it's kind of like an interactive business card and resume. :D

15. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

I like the stardates in the movie, as they make sense. Sine stardates were originally conceived to obscure what year it is, I'd say that's a pretty big achievment.

16. cooleddie74

Plus, like I mentioned above, why would Spock Prime mention a long, complicated and (on-the-surface, anyways) inexplicable stardate to a young Jim Kirk who had no context for understanding them?

17. FredH

FredH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I arbitrarily choose to believe that the Jellyfish computer logged in to the surrounding subspace network to reestablish the current time, noted the current nomenclature, and from then on adopted that nomenclature in answering queries--so Stardate 644xx was duly translated into Stardate 2388.

18. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

Would we use Star Trek XI's stardates just like the old stardates all events and eras seen in the movie (from Kirk's birth to Spock Prime's future) would take place in the middle of Season 1 of TOS... between "Balance of Terror" (stardate 1709.1) and "What Are Little Girls Are Made Of?" (2712.4) to be precise. ;)

So as you can see, the stardates in Star Trek XI are a major canon violation. Are we really supposed to be believe that Kirk was fighting Romulans in the Neutral Zone a week before he was even born on the Kelvin? :D

19. cooleddie74

^
    James T. Kirk found a way, dammit. :lol:

20. KingstonTrekker

KingstonTrekker Commander Red Shirt

AFAIK, the only voice Majel does is the computer on the Enterprise when Chekov is giving his authorization code.

I am also sure that it was her voice when Kirk released the water valve in Engineering, freeing Scotty (who was trapped in the piping.)