so ST 11 is another timeline [alt-reality]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by stew58, May 13, 2013.

1. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Re: so ST 11 is another timeline

But this can indeed be a completely different timeline than the one we knew before, even pre 2233.
    As all time-travel episode deal with either pre-destination paradoxes or a "restoring" of the timeline, no major event is changed significantly. In-universe, what we see as the prime-timeline is the culmination of all those time-travel events.

In the new timeline all the major "historical" events also occurred, but without tampering from the TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY-time-travellers, resulting in the year 2233 when we first see the Kelvin; a timeline where technology advanced slightly different/faster and the people are slightly different but similar.

2. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Trek messed with the timeline so much, they obliterated DTI with the last change...

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

In my book, they did. It's all a matter of perspective. Audiences get to see the alternate outcomes. The timeline gets still reset by the time cops. ;)

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Didn't the Temporal Cold War pretty much decimate all of the future time traveling factions by the start of Enterprise season 4? the war ended, the DTI were back to being observational paper pushers.

5. Anduril

Anduril Nose down. Throttle up. Captain

Didn't Star Trek 09 establish that this is an alternate reality? Are we still arguing about this?

6. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

apparently so. these are some of the reasons i don't do forums.

7. Anduril

Anduril Nose down. Throttle up. Captain

I just saw Heat.

8. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

The only thing, IMO, JJ Abrams is "on the hook" for is telling a great story, not reinforcing a group fantasy that Star Trek is actually real.

Now I didn't actually care much for his first movie because I didn't think much of the story, and, as you say, I won't let him off the hook for producing crap. But I have no problem with Abrams and the writers updating aspects of a nearly 50-year-old series to be a little more relevent to today. In fact, Trek needs to be updated. I'd hate for the films to start resembling those fanwank movies on youtube.

9. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Gaffigan!

10. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

1. It's a reboot. The whole point is to ditch that nonsense.

2. It was a stupid idea to begin with. It contradicted dozens of time travel episodes in which no time cops from the future interfered and it was used as nothing more than deus ex machina.

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It is only because of the power of Google that I understand that.

12. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

Agreed, the new trek universe has nothing to do with the "prime universe" and even if Nero and Spock hadn't shown up, the events in this universe would have still unfolded differently. IMO anyway, Strange enough, Nero showing up actually lead to events in this universe (Kirk and co. being aboard the enterprise) being more like the Prime Universe then they would have been.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

If we declared "alternate reality" every time there was an inconsistency in Star Trek we'd have more Universes than Imelda Marcos had shoes.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately, the alternate timeline explanation always gets used to explain every error, and has since well before the Abramsverse came on the scene.

15. Nerys Myk

So there are alternate timelines with a James R. Kirk, one where Data graduated in the class of '78 and one where Saavik looks like Robin Curtis?

16. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Thank you parallels :borg:

17. HOoftheKinshaya

HOoftheKinshaya Lieutenant Red Shirt

I disagree. Primarily because JJ Abrams has in numerous interviews stated this was the original timeline up until the day of Kirk's birth. You may not like the delivery or some inconsistencies that show up but to refute it would be telling the author you know the story he wrote regardless of what he says the story was.

Abrams on the alternate time line:

ABRAMS: "Here’s the thing… I think the key to that was, first of all, it was one of those things that not everyone even cares about or understands the timeline of it all. The notion that when this one character, Nero, arrives in his ship, that basically the timeline is altered at that moment, so everything forward is essentially an alternative timeline. That is not to say that everything that happened in The Original Series doesn’t exist. I think, as a fan of movies and shows, if someone told me the beloved thing for me was gone, I would be upset. But we didn’t do that. We’re not saying that what happened in that original series wasn’t good, true, valid, righteous and real. Let people embrace that. We’re not rejecting that. That, to me, would have been the big mistake. We’re simply saying that, "At this moment, the very first scene in the first movie, everything that people knew of Star Trek splits off into now another timeline.

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, the novel Q-Squared really did present Where No Man Has Gone Before as an alternate timeline where the Enterprise was commanded by James R. Kirk. I'm serious.

19. Nerys Myk

Peter David. :ack: I'll pass.

20. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

The department of Temporal Investigations probably didn't exist prior to Kirk's five-year mission, so probably don't concern themselves with branches in the timeline created before they were, since those branches already 'happened' in their own history, so interfering with them would change the past of the timeline they were in, which would itself be a violation. Besides, it wasn't implied the DTI had the power to FIX violations, they just monitored them.