Does anyone know if there is something wrong with this boxset?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Mage, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Mage

Anyone??

Nearly done with season 1, everything's fine sofar. Checked out two discs of season 4, no worries there. I'm guessing some people have older players that have issues or something?

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't have that box set, but I have had a lot of trouble with sensitive DVDs recently. Some would work fine, others terribly or not at all. It turned out my player just needed a clean.

Fingers crossed they all work for you!

4. Mage

My brplayer isn't that old that it requires a cleaning I think, not even a year. And since I've had it, only two discs I have (both dvd) gave me trouble.

So yeah, we'll see. :)

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I have the complete series on DVD, but its NTSC so I don't think that answers the question. Though I've had no issues with any of the discs over the years.

6. Mage

I also can't imagine anything being very wrong with this version, since it's the same dvd's only in a different package. The only thing I can think of, is that some dvds were damaged during packaging, since it's all cardboardsleeves. Who knows.

7. Mage

Another question about Enterprise dvds....

I know, it's getting annoying.... ;)

Anyway... The dvd boxset says the ratio is 1:78. Now, my br player is set to play 4:3 at 4:3 and 16:9 at 16:9. Sofar, never had any issues. However, for some reason, the extras on the dvdset are squashed. Never had that happen with any of my dvds or blurays sofar.

Are the ratios for the episodes different then the extras, and is this causing issues? I don't really care so much, as long as the episodes are fine. It is kinda weird though...

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Another question about Enterprise dvds....

How are they squashed? What does the image actually look like?

If you mean squashed vertically, and there's still black bars on the top and bottom (even on a 16:9 set), it could be that the extras are not anamorphic. Widescreen, yes, but not *anamorphic* widescreen.

9. Mage

Squashed from top to bottom, or streched from side to side, which ever way you want to see it. ;) But your description sounds about right. :)

10. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

No need to start a new thread for every question you might have concerning this, Mage. Threads merged.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then it looks like you're looking at material that is widescreen, but not enhanced for 16x9 TVs. That hasn't been a problem for years now, but there's still some old stuff out there that is. The stuff you're looking at doesn't "know" about the existence of 16x9 sets; it assumes you're looking at it on a 4x3 set, and so it's hardcoded for that.

See if your DVD player has a Zoom mode. That should get rid of the black bars.

12. Mage

Thanks for the tip. :) It does look like a thing for older dvd's. Same thing happened to my Serenity dvd, which I haven't watched since we got our blurayplayer. Movie's fine, the extra's look off. So it's probably what you said. But I can live with that it's about the movie, not the extra's. :)