F1 2012 Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by MacLeod, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

so why didn't hamilton win today then if it was pure driving merit? the red bull isnt exactly the best car this year.

it's like when schumacher won his first titles in the 90's and everyone was bitching on him for winning.

2. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Red Bull had the best car on the grid for this particular weekend, and that's why Vettel won.

Also, you can hardly compare Vettel to Schumacher, in terms of driving ability and style.

Sure, Schumi did win most of his titles in dominant cars (a few of those seasons were a lot closer than most people remember them to be, though), but his performances in not-so-great cars (such as the ones he drove in his first few years with Ferrari, for example) were some of his most impressive.

Vettel, on the other hand, rarely impresses, let alone wins, unless he's in the fastest, most rear-planted (complete opposite of what Schumi seems to prefer, btw) car on the grid, and it just so happens that in the last few years, more often than not, he has in fact been in the fastest, most rear-planted car on the grid.

Vettel just isn't as great a driver as the results suggest, and his insufferable mannerisms just make him look like a bit of a spoilt brat (maybe he's actually a nice guy, but his two default settings of 'cocky asshole' and 'sulky whiner' sure make it seem otherwise). Considering the number of quality drivers on the grid today, he's hardly the most deserving of a title, let alone three consecutive ones.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  3. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

To me, he comes across as young & boyish for sure but in a nice & enthusiastic way. I don't see any malice in him and I don't think he's particularly sulky either (Hamilton surely takes the biscuit on that score, with Raikonnen not far behind :) ).

In terms of overall driver ability, I'd definitely put both Hamilton and Alonso ahead of him, but Vettel is one of those guys with incredible speed who's unbeatable when everything hooks up right for him. He's fantastic in qualifying and when out in front.

I don't think he's anywhere as good a racer as Hamilton, he's not as mentally strong as Alonso or Schumacher (in his prime), not as smooth as Button, and not as persistent as Raikonnen. But he's a very fast driver who, when given a great car, uses that car to dominate races in a way a lot of other drivers can't. Should he have 3 titles? I never think of sport as a "should" game; I prefer to let history sort out that side of things. Each year's championship can stand on its own merits.

On another note, I see Webber has called Grosjean "a nutcase" for crashing antics. The BBC have put together a highlight (lowlight?) reel of all Grosjean's first lap crashes; it's pretty funny. At least, until you see the one where Alonso almost got decapitated. I'm far from convinced Grosjean should keep his F1 licence...

4. Geckothan

Johnny Herbert really had it in for Grosjean, too. He seems like a nice guy, and he's quick enough, but he clearly doesn't have enough awareness of the cars around him in a pack or at the start. Granted, some of his accidents haven't been entirely his fault, but he's still a liability. Maldonado has gotten away with much worse (though he seems to be learning his lesson now).

5. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

this is one race which is actual live in australia,but didnt watch it until later in the evening,had the great race to watch(bathurst)to watch first(6&half hours of racing)

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well there was the small matter of going out to work at 05:00.

But nce again Grosjean seems yo be racking up the penalties. Can't remember the last time I say the 10 second stop-go penalty used. What's that about 8 incidnets out of 14 races he's been in this year?

7. Holdfast

lol'ed at the latest Hamilton silliness reported today. Apparently, he was on twitter and complained that Jenson unfollowed him and started whinging that it wasn't very team-like, and he still considered Jenson a team-mate until the end of the year, etc, etc, etc.

Turns out Jenson never bothered following him in the first place. :lol:

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

So do we thing Grosjean is safe for 2013, or will Lotus be looking at replacing him.

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

They bloody should...

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Yes but who with?

Maldonado seems to have calmed down a bit, then there are the two Force India drivers Di Resta and Hulkenberg, or even Massa. Unless they go for another rookie. Which wouldn't be a good idea. I think Lotus needs a somewhat experienced driver who can actually bring the car home. Even a non scoring finish can count at the end of the season when it comes to money.

I think they should go for one of the Force India drivers, as I think Massa has done enough to keep his seat for 2013.

11. Lonemagpie

A week ago I'd have said Schumi...

12. Holdfast

Di Resta has impressed me. He's got potential, I think. Another option for Lotus might be Ricciardo (I don't know what his current contract status is). They both seem to be performing a bit above their respective cars' expected level.

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

And it's a Red Bull front row, though perhaps not the way they would want it. So assuming they get away in order how many laps do you think it'll be before Webber gets the call to let Vettel past?

14. Lonemagpie

Since when has Webber ever not fucked up a start anyway?

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

There is a first time for everything.

16. Lonemagpie

They'll probably just give his car a loose clutch to make sure

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Nah, they'll just have the usual unluanch control device fitted to the car, or KERS will suffer a failure etc...

18. Lonemagpie

What a shocker, Vettel gets a better start than Webber & is opening out a lead already. That'll be that, then. I needn't have bothered...

19. Lonemagpie

The typical Vettel-walks-it-from-the-start-without-having-to-actually-*race* thing we all got so bored with last year...

"Getting knocked off the track by Kobayashi is JB's own fault for not qualifying further up the grid"? Oh, fuck *OFF* Eddie, you fucking twat

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  20. Geckothan

Yawn. What a dull race.