History of Starfleet/Starfleet register project

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Shik, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

It's the 3 most important things in business.
    O HAI. A few people here know me from other boards & are acquainted with my project, but for the vast majority who've no idea who I am, let me introduce & explain.

My name is Shik, & I have a project. It's a complete list of Starfleet ships, from NCC-1 to NCC-100000. When I say "complete", I mean there are no gaps in it, and no doubling as in James Dixon's list. To my knowledge, this is the first time ever this has been done; there's only one other person I've met who's tried something similar & he's been hung up for many years on tying the original Jefferies registry system into the Okudaic one. It takes names from all sources, including fandom manuals, & RPGs but very few of those classes have actually translated over either in design or name. Anyway, the data is done (all entered by end of 2008; fully edited by end of 2009 & only lightly tweaked since) & comprises 100,005 ships in 168 classes. I'm pretty proud of it.

Anyway, the plan is to eventually build a website to put it on, but data alone is so boring, & much of it requires context and explanation, so the plan is to also have related articles on the site as well. I've grouped the classes into "generations" built around the same time & influenced by related events. There are 16 generations that I'm writing about; these articles discuss the times, events, and reasons behind building the classes. They also fill in the interim years between the generations for the sake of continuity. When combined, they essentially form a history of Starfleet, thus the title of this thread. These pieces have a flavor rather like Masao's Starfleet Museum articles, on which the layout is patterned. Eventually the site will go live with the articles & then use the pieces written about the individual classes for new content to update with (most like using a layout pattern simular to the entries in Timo's guide to Starfleet), but that's a couple years off, most like 2016 or so.

There is also in attendant existence a carefully worked-out shipbuilding schedule and a detailed master class list noting the type of ship each class is, how many there are & how long they were in production, and where the design came from (if it has one; many of the founding classes do not, nor a large chunk of early 24th-century ships). I mention this only to point out that there is a background structure & that such things weren't simply produced on the spot while writing from some anal ZPE source.

In the meantime, I present the first 4 articles for your perusal:

• Foundation covers the founding of the Federation and Starfleet in 2161, with a minor recapping of the Romulan War. (9 pgs.)
    • Unity covers 2162 through 2175. (10 pgs)
    • Trailblazer details ships from 2186 to 2202, interim history from 2175. (12 pgs.)
    • Deeprange runs from 2221 to 2242, with interim history from 2200. (17 pgs.)

I've also included the initial draft for Sentinel (20 pgs.), which covers 2254 to 2269...sort of. The interim history runs from about 2240 & the article in truth ends at 2265, but the last class enters service in 2269, so it's somewhat pseudopodic.

All files are in PDF format for easier viewing on tablets, and can be found here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5HtjQmKMnxcamJxaXVpYUpvaGc&usp=sharing

The history is generally of my own design, but does cadge elements from all over, including other fan histories, the old FASA game, & bits & pieces of the original run of novels, but none of it contradicts canon, which is the structural frame it's all built around. Later on, when I get to the post-Dominion War & VGR years, I will NOT be following either the novelverse seres of events (mainly because I abhor the road they've gone down) or the STO/AbramsTrek history (yes, Romulus still exists in my universe, & Data is still dead until otherwise proven).

You'll notice great differences between Sentinel & the others. Part of that is because this is/was a difficult article to write, because the events it details really don't allow the piece to proceed in a linear format like the others; there's a lot of jumping around back & forth. It's also because of the difficulty in reconciling some of what's been seen in the TOS & TMP eras with what came before & what follows. Mainly it's due to its nature as a first draft. I've learned the best way for me to write is to get it put as best as I can, then go back in review & tweak it. When that's done I move on to the next piece & do the same process, & repeat. When I have 3 or 4 somewhat interconnected pieces, then I go back & do the final heavy smoothing edits, scrawling my notes all over hard copy. It's kind of like modern shipbuilding: a few large subassemblies are made from smaller pieces, & then the subassemblies are put together to create the whole. Foundation through Deeprange form the first major subassembly; Sentinel is the first piece of the second one, which will include the follow-ons of New Wave & Farspace.

So. I've posted these here for general critique & comment, & even possible enjoyment. Questions, comments, complaints, & racial epithets can be sent my way as needed. I would ask that they be of a constructive nature, though; don't just say me you don't like something, tell me why. Be specific. I'd also appreciate being told of any grammatical & spelling errors; sometimes the eyes slide over things after so many readings. In the case of Sentinel, I know there's overuse of some words. Normally I make great use of Word's thesaurus but that article was about 85% written on a crappy mobile phone-sized Android tablet & I couldn't find a free thesaurus app with a sufficiently diverse offline dictionary. Keep that in mind: I'm effectively writing a book on a cellphone.

2. EmperorTiberius

EmperorTiberius Captain Captain

I didn't read the articles because of time, but I wanted to comment on the registry project.

It's incredible that you managed to compile so much data, but it seems pointless because that data would be changing all the time. If I may suggest an improvement:
    it would be good if the website was wiki-like in nature, so that fans can make their own entries, and you could just edit if necessary. Also, some sort of rating scale of fan designs would be a good idea, so that people can see top designs and not some ugly duckling which, in my opinion, is what most fan designs are. Even some video game designs are so ugly and even bad from an engineering point of view, I don't want to waste my time on them.

3. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

I don't want fans making their own entries. This isn't modifiable for anyone but me. I don't want them rated, scaled & the like. But you're right: a lot of designs ARE ass-tastic, even some of my own older ones.

When I say "everything", I don't mean all designs like Jim Stevenson or James Dixon. I'm selective. Actually, I'm right now compiling some designs, & there are at the moment 48 classes (out of 168) that still needs designs assigned to them; most are alien Foundation ships. This is my universe, my history, as Masao has done, as others have done. It's based on canon first.

Honestly, the data doesn't change all that much (unless I get to fiddling). I've uploaded a teaser PDF of the first 20 pages, which is 840 ships, to give an idea of what the data looks like.

4. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Did you include the Enterprise G?

5. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

What the creosoted fuck is Enterprise-G from? I...what...no.

6. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

7. Fabrux

Fabrux Ensign Red Shirt

Hi, somewhat new to the board (was active on a previous iteration) but may be familiar to some from other boards. I am somewhat Shik's assistant in this project.

To answer about the Enterprise-G: the project as it stands covers registries up to NCC-100000, as mentioned above, which takes us roughly to the year 2400. In our timeline, the Enterprise-E is still in service by 2400. Which, when you consider STO has the Enterprise-F coming online in 2409, is not too far fetched.

8. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

2407, to be exact.. But yeah, as stated int he OP, STO & all that isn't followed. Because it's dumb.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

So.... not quite so complete, then.

10. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

Except totally complete, because novelverse & STO = noncanon, & therefore can be tossed if deemed unpalatable--which it is. Completely.

11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

I guess I'm just not sure what's left, then; does your list just stop at the end of VGR: "Endgame" or MOV: "Nemesis"?

If you're sticking to actual canon (i.e. only ships shown onscreen in the TV series and movies), your actual ship list is going to be a little short... :p

12. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

As I said in the OP, there are far more than canon designs & names; it would not be complete if it were. I took it to the end of 2407 for this universe, with the commissioning of NCC-100000. If you looked at the teaser PDF I put up with the first 840 ships on 20 pages, you'd see that the blanks are filled in.

Honestly, I have to say...I'm a little disappointed. I was looking for real feedback on the work as written & instead I'm getting pedantry on registry points that have already been explained as to the nature of the decision in the OP or would be self-explanatory simply by looking at the information posted. In these articles as written are things like why the Klingons & the Federation were so hostile to each other; how colonization subverted Starfleet's exploration policies for so long; how Garth's madness led to the installation of Nogura as Chief of Staff. The ship data is pretty basic, but the real meat is in the writeups. I just find it interesting that no one seems to have had anything to say about them, good or bad, & would prefer to worry about my inclusion of STO & novelverse items or to ask questions about things that are easily inferred from inspection of available data.

However, in the interest of perhaps clearing up some of these things, I have posted a PDF copy of my master class information list. This shows all 168 classes in chronological order & includes service generation (i.e., in what time/article it can/will be found in); start & end dates of production (NOT service dates, & some of the newer classes will have their production dates open-ended once I get to that time); hull numbers of the first & last ship in the class; the total number of ships in that class; & what type of ship the class is in general. (There is a column marked "code"; this is unimportant to you. I find it easier for my note & writing purposes to assign a shortcode to each class for internal use.)

13. EmperorTiberius

One of those sheets has Stalingrad as a ship class, I dont' think it would be called that in the future - just a small note.

Anyways, I skimmed through the teaser, but didn't have to really read it thoroughly. I will tell you I didnt' really like the Manifest destiny section, colonies fighting over resources and all that is not realistic to me. Once you are there, there is no point of fighting a territorial war 2 and a half light years away with another system. You've seen what colonies look like in TNG, they wouldn't be much different in other eras.

14. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

Stalingrad is a ship name, not a class. Dieppes are named for battles.

So as you see it, once you're at a planet & you stake a claim to an area of space, there's no point in fighting for it? Then what were the conflicts we've seen about?

15. EmperorTiberius

It wouldn't be named Stalingrad. The city's name is Volgograd.

As for the colonies, what claims are they making exactly? Why are they fighting for the space? I think you are underestimating the huge size of space and resources available. If, for example, 10000 colonists settle Wolf 359, and 10000 settle Ross 154, why would those from Ross grab a transport, arm it with weapons, fly several months to years towards Wolf and attack those there?

It's like saying Jamestown colonists built a ship and went to Australia because they staked claim to another continent besides America. Human colonists in 22nd century would have a whole solar system to tame, and it would take them a long time to do that. They would probably have basics for living and it would take a long time before they would look into neighboring system for resources they already have plenty of at home.
    There might be a simple conflict between individuals or companies, but fights for territory akin to westward expansion of American colonies? I just don't buy it.

16. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

If I say "the Battle of Stalingrad", people know what I'm talking about. If I say "the Battle of Volgograd", they'll ask me what the fuck I'm on about. Don't be a putz.

As for intercolonial conflict, consider it less like what you're thinking & more like claim jumping on a mine. Suppose (using your elements) Ross 154 is unsettled for many years & those from Wolf 359 having been using its planets for their own purposes. Then one day, a ship shows up & drops a bunch of people on 154's only habitable world. They then proceed to claim the entire system as theirs. The 359ers say, "Uh, no, we were here first, we have a claim." The 154 folk respond, back & forth we go, until someone's running back inside the log pressure dome screaming, "Maw! Git the phaser musket! We gots varmints!" People like to own shit.

Regardless, I'm sorry you don't find such things plausible, but it's not a new concept in Trek, & it is an integral part of what's been built in these articles. Thank you. Next question?

17. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm with Shik here - warp drive being so dirt cheap makes it really tempting to revert to bad old ways. We already canonically have space piracy, space traders running like tramps rather than packets, space wife-selling, all the old habits and vices returning, as fitting of Horatio Hornblowe in Spaaaace! Why not fairly irrational claim-squabbling as well?

As for USS Stalingrad, well, obviously we would have USS Agincourt even though that's doubly wrong, too - USS Azincourt or USS Whatever Village or Geographical Feature Really Marked the Spot Equidistant from the Agincourt and Tramecourt Landmarks would not be fitting, as it's the battle we commemorate, not the location, and through a specific vantage point and narrative, too, not through any sort of an objective viewpoint.

Timo Saloniemi

18. ProwlAlpha

ProwlAlpha Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Except for the canon-picking and obvious jackassery in which not much has been talked about in this thread, I applaud the undertaking though it is starting to take on a Dixonesque attitude.

19. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

How do you mean by "Dixonesque"? I know who Dixon is, but I don't understand how you're applying the term here. Pliss to explen.

20. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't want fans making their own entries.

This isn't modifiable for anyone but me.

I don't want them rated, scaled & the like.

:)