The Twilight Saga: New Moon Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I have three teenaged nieces who are crazy about the series. It's not exactly my kind of movie. I saw Twilight on DVD and thought the story was vapid, mediocre at best. I gotta say, that Taylor guy is cute. Can't wait 'til he turns 18

2. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

Thus the true power of teenage girls and there money is fully realized. And it is a powerhouse, but I expect this movie to be very front loaded with no legs.

3. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only good things about the first were Ashley Greene and the Rifftrax they made of it.

Such are the only reasons I don't curse the existence of the second.

4. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

I got coerced into seeing it on friday, and my considered review is thus:

It is annoyingly crap, full of terrible teenage "angst", and it's plot and dialogue make Harry Potter look complex and well written.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I saw New Moon. It was okay. I liked it better than the first movie. They got rid of the blue tint which I found very distracting in Twilight. The first movie felt too much like an indie film so I was glad they got a bigger budget. The fans deserve that at least for making the movie a hit.

I could care less about the Bella and Edward romance but at least this movie had much more of a plot compared to the first movie. The writers thankfully didn't make it too serious and gave the characters several funny lines to say throughout the whole thing. All the Italy stuff was great and felt like mini movie. Michael Sheen seemed to be having loads of fun playing the head evil vamp. I liked the actor that played Jacob. The werewolves were actually pretty cool. Many people laughed at Alice's vision of Bella's future. It was so over the top. I find it amusing that this is going to become the biggest vampire move ever.

This movie needed much more Alice. Ashley Greene is hot. I want her to get her own spinoff.

6. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^I did like her, Carslile & the vamp guy who is married to the blonde...I also liked Jacob's werewolf buddies, (& no not just b/c theyre always shirtless.) They actually seem more interesting than boring Edward and Bella...

was that really Dakota Fanning as the blonde vamp from the council? Didnt recognize her at all!

7. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More numbers are in. First the good news: New Moon did not beat the Dark Knight's opening weekend record ($158,411,483). Now the "meh" news: it also didn't beat Spider-Man 3's opening weekend total ($151,116,516). It did take the #3 spot on the list away from Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, however, by making an estimated $140,700,000 over the weekend.

Worldwide, it ranks as the 7th-best opening ever with an estimate of $258,800,000.

As for me, I'm still not planning to ever see it.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I think Cullen family is interesting. Much more background is given to them in the books though. Two of them are suppose to get flashbacks in the next movie.

The werewolf friends were good. They really seem like actual friends. They probably got to hang out and get to know each other before they started filming.

Yes, that was her. I don't know why some people made such a big deal about her being in it. Dakota was only onscreen for two minutes. Michael Sheen did all the talking. I thought it was neat how Michael Sheen has now played a werewolf in Underworld and now vamp in Twilight.

9. Joy

Joy Commodore Commodore

When reading the Twilight series, I had flashbacks to when I was reading the Eragon books (which I only made it through the first two and only part of the third)..... Both Meyer and Paolini's best work involve their secondary characters.

If Paolini had just written Roran's story, and if Meyer had instead focused on Carlisle's backstory, we may just have had books that were actually WORTHY of the popularity they attained.

As it were, both series are utter drivel, with a few shining moments that come solely from the poor secondary characters whose stories these books SHOULD have been.

Joy

10. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

11. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

12. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

:guffaw:

Ya know, I have a fondness for the films and books, but that was hilarious!

13. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here we go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFSn5rs70Rc

All this hype just makes me depressed. So being vacuous and needy are admirable traits now?

Think I would probably pull my own head off about ten minutes into one of these movies.

14. I got around to watching it with some people who wanted to see it. I haven't seen the first one.

Unremarkable and average. Hardly stomach turning, but I see very little merit as well. I do understand that it's basically the 'female equivalent' of dumb action movies, ie dumb romance movies, and from that standpoint it's fine I guess, I dunno. I found the romance scenes to just drag on and onnn and onnnn, with lots of looking down and up, with bad dialogue. The writing wasn't any shittier than your average Transformers-type movie, which is pretty faint praise I know.

The rare snippets of plot were fairly watchable, such as:

-Bella discovering the werewolves. That whole sequence and explanation was watchable.
    -Sequence at the end with the Italian Voltaire guys

Yeah those were the best two parts.

15. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a very avid reader, especially of fiction, and will read just about anything provided it piques my interest even a little bit. I read and enjoyed the novels, although I realize that they certainly aren't for everyone. I saw and enjoyed the first movie, and went to see NM (by myself, something that I enjoy doing when I can, for some reason). I enjoyed it, but it definitely isn't going to appeal to every single person out there.

As for the way that Summit has chosen to title the movie adaptations, I actually think it works, since it makes it clear - for those who haven't read the novels, but might have an interest in seeing it nonetheless - that it's part of a series. It's really no different than the Star Wars films, at least not IMO.

To the person who compared Twilight to Eragon: Stephanie Meyer's writing talents might not be on the level of say, Stephen King, but they're infinitely better than Paolini's (I won't go into why I say that, because it's a topic for another day and another thread).

16. HighteeHeller

HighteeHeller Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I fell asleep about half way through the movie.I had heard the acting was better in this one, but i just didn`t see it. The stilted dialogue was so painful at times that i wonder if maybe i fell asleep to avoid the pain, or i was actually just too tired. I havent decided yet, but i certainly wont go back to find out.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

These books/movies are romances so it's understandble why they are such a hit with females. But if there weren't any vampires or werewolves I wouldn't have checked them out in the first place. Meyer's writing isn't great but she has created some cool characters like Carlisle and Alice.

I don't mind. When the movie starts it's just titled New Moon. The clunky Twilight Saga is left off when the title card appears. I'd imagine they'll leave it out of the next movie too but still keep it in all the advertising. There will always be a few stupid people that need the word Twilight to be in the title to know what's it about.

I was pretty surprised that the Twilight movie did so much better than Eragon. I guess vamps are more popular than fantasy these days.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

But these aren't any vamps! They're sexy vamps with cold, sparkly, penises that middle-aged moms swoon over!

Sheesh, can you imagine the outrage there would be over men rushing to see a movie full of half-dressed teenage girls?

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I lady friend of mine wanted to see this, for the second time, and offered to buy my ticket if I went with her. So I did. She did this with Twilight also so I've now seen both movies at a cost of $0 to me.

Twilight plays like a bad hybrid of a Lifetime Original Movie of the Week/Sci-Fi Creature Feature and you want to abort it.

New Moon plays much better and the series is moving cinematically in the right direction.

Twilight: C-
    New Moon: B

The development of the werewolves was good. I like that they were fundamentally just large versions of wolves and not overtly unusual.

The Volturi and the development of a vampiric ruling class was nice. Actually they were the best 15min of the whole movie, imo.

I expect a real throw down between Jacob & Edward next movie. We got a glorified middle school shoving match in this one.

One word: Alice :drool:

The movie just ends, like LOTR:FotR, except instead of just walking away and ending Edward Cullen utters the lamest romanticised line ever. EVER.

Had the same thought. I'm a big fan of the Underworld saga and hope talks of the 4th being in 3-D come about!

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It'll be interesting to see how thery handle the fourth book where...
    from my understanding she pretty much gets her back broken and her uterus ripped open by werewolf-guy to retrieve her evil baby hell-spawn and eventualy bitten by Edward to become a vampire... wherew she's beautiful. Jesus these books are fucked up. Do they even mention how her family reacts to her behaviors?