Vulcan's Noun and Shatner series inter continuity

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by borgboy, May 21, 2009.

1. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Has the events of the Vulcan's Noun series, especially the relationship between Spock and Saavik, ever been referenced in other Trek books? Is it considered "canon" for the rest of the novels?
    Also, I understand the "Shatnerverse" novels are considered a seperate continuity from the rest of the novel series. Is it possible to reconcile Shatner's novels and the Vulcan's Noun series with the rest of the novels so they all fit into one continuity?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The Shatner novels, at least those in the Totality trilogy, contain a number of irreconcilable differences with the main novel continuity, in terms of such things as the chronology of Bajor's UFP membership, the chronology and specifics of Titan's missions, and the life expectancy of Admiral Janeway.

As far as I know, there's nothing in the Sherman-Shwartz Vulcan novels that's irreconcilable with the rest of the novel continuity, and I've never heard it suggested that they were separate from it. I think elements of Vulcan's Heart were referenced in a couple of the Lost Era novels; I'm fairly sure I made a small allusion to it in The Buried Age, a passing mention of a Stargazer science officer who appeared in VH.

3. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

^ More significantly, the Romulan political setup from Vulcan's Soul (and "Blood Sacrifice" in Tales of the Dominion War) was referenced and continued in the first two Titan novels, the Watraii were referenced in A Singular Destiny, and President Zife and Chief of Staff Koll Azernal played a supporting role in the Soul trilogy.

4. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Vulcan's Soul also established the continued survival of Uhura and Chekov into the post-Dominion War timeframe, which received a passing mention in The Future Begins.

5. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Though I'd point out that both were reduced to cartoon caricatures of their previous selves in Vulcan's Soul.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

As opposed to what? Cartoon caricatures of the real life politicians they were based on? :p

7. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Neither character was a caricature in A Time to Kill/A Time to Heal. While both were clearly based on real-world politicians, neither one was treated nearly so two-dimensionally -- or melodramatically -- as in Vulcan's Soul.

8. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Which always struck me as a stretch.