Star Trek Into Darkness Blu-ray Problem

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Take a look at the TrekCore review, it clearly shows that the bluray is cropped from showing the full frame as it was filmed. I won't argue that the bluray shows what was given in your standard theater, but this movie was pushed as being an IMAX film (lots of press releases, trailers, even special showings), therefore the original intent of this film was to be show in the IMAX AR.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The commentary track is the only bonus feature I'm really upset about. Very disappointing.

3. RollTide1017

RollTide1017 Ensign Red Shirt

Heads up guys, go to CinemaNow.com and sign in or create an account. Search for "Star Trek" and the exclusive Best Buy extra features, with a 30 minute run time, show up as a "free title" purchase. Unfortunately you have to have a cc on the site to complete the purchase but, the price is $0.00. I have a feeling that this is a mistake so, act quickly.

4. Gsam

Gsam Lieutenant Red Shirt

here in northeast, usa it is almost 3 am and I have signed in my account and have the 30 minute extra features on my tv right now at $0.00. I don't get it either as one would think this was a mistake but the cust. service rep. gave me coupon code to put in so it would be free. So I guess IDK what to think or what to tell you except give it a try.

5. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

HD-DVD would like a word with you, sir.

6. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's no way to get it on a disc, but at least that bonus feature is free if you buy the Blu-ray. The TrekCore review says the download code that comes with the Blu-ray gives you access to the commentary. It's only 720p though.

7. RollTide1017

RollTide1017 Ensign Red Shirt

The entire movie was not shot in IMAX, in fact most of the movie was shot anamorphic which is about 2.40:1. Plus the true AR of IMAX is 1.43:1 so even at 16x9 on BD, IMAX is still cropped. If people really wanted true oar for IMAX, then it would look more like standard def AR with black bars on the sides.

I don't mind the shifting AR that some BD release have had for IMAX scenes but, I honestly prefer the constant AR of 2.40:1. This is the way the majority of the movie was shot and the way it was presented in 90% of theaters it was shown.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The question then is if you can get it free via a download why not stick it on the disc to start with.

WHo knows maybe in a few years down the line an enchanced version will be released with all bonus features. Paramount won't have tied themselves into excuslive deals that run for ever. It'll be just a case for x years retailer y has exclusive access to this content. So in 2016 just in time for STXIII, Paramount can release a deluxe collectors edition to milk the fans for more money.

9. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Touché. And also well played to the poster who pointed out DIVx. Point conceded.

10. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

We'll be covering that - it's much more than just an audio track, and likely would require an entirely separate disc.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
  11. Casas9425

Casas9425 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Do you think there's a double dip in the horizon?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
  12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I rarely play films more than once or twice so the bonus material is a big selling point for me.

I just won't buy it on release. There will either be a definitive edition in the future or it'll get remaindered. I just purchased 8 Blurays for £20 from HMV !

Paramount's loss...

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Only a few months ago, we had people telling us that Blu-Ray was already antiquated and soon we'd all be getting our movies "from the cloud". Unless the studios start nudging people to the practice of accessing such new download methods, audiences will cling to what they know: physical media they have to store in their house.

Stick the bonus material somewhere new and enough completists and early adopters will be curious to investigate it, talk about it and convince others.

At the turn of the last century, Simon & Schuster was tempting us with digital-only Star Trek eBooks. They took off slowly, gathered momentum, were eventually released in hardcopy (originally we were told they definitely wouldn't be), then the ongoing eBook line got cancelled, and have recently been revived through some new eBook-only novellas (when enough people started yearning for eBooks), and now they're seemingly back.

Way back when, the primary colours of "Star Trek" and "Batman" were used to tempt families to buy colour TV sets.

Longterm gain.

14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Not 'have to'.

I want to store stuff in my house. I want something physical. I'm not paying good money for electronic media.

The cloud is not going to catch on with everyone for years, if ever. The demise of vinyl and CD's has been forecast for years, but they're still here.

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The problem with digitial downloads/streaming is that the infrastructure isn't fully in place to support. Even in first world countries some areas are still on dial-up or broadband speeds are sub 8Mb that's barely fast enough to stream SD never mind HD.

Many homes today can have multiple computers, games consoles, Smart TV's, mobile phones, BR players all connected to the web. That soon eats into the availble speed. Never mind throttling of connections, download caps.

Sure maybe in 10 years digital downloads might be thing, but I suspect some will still like physical media. It's the same with e-books, some people like them others prefer the physical book. The point is that it should be upto the consumer to decide what they want.

Make identical versions availbel for the same price one avialble via downlad the other via physical media which do you think would win? I suspect physical media.

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

They know they won't convert everyone.

I'm now reaching the age where I have to consider that my next house needs to be smaller, with no steps, and my 50+ years of enthusiastic collecting is feeling like several albatrosses around my neck.

Exactly, but if they don't start tempting people to try it, only early adopters will. Most people resist change until they're shoved.

Vinyl did die out for the general public. Most people I know haven't had a turntable for decades and they are tricky to locate in stores. The kids I teach have no idea what an LP is. Have you tried to replace a stylus lately? There has been a recent mini resurgence, sure, but it's a very small niche in most music stores I frequent.

Now that my Mac rips CDs, most of my recent CD purchases have been one-use only. I've downloaded some new digital-only stuff from iTunes. I walk past my several towers of CDs and sometimes wonder why I continue to let them clog up my house.

Exactly. So the publishers are deliberately enticing people to sample the new digital wares.

17. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

I will trust digital downloads when they are guaranteed to never expire such that I can obtain the same image 50 years hence after buying it once. And it is equivalent to the physical media you have been saving for 50 years that you can play on as many different devices as you want. And I can loan it to a friend to play on as many devices as he wants. Until then, the demand for physical media will not be surrendered.

Ask yourself which lasts longer: analog (e.g., film) or digital storage. Which is more stable: physical archival that can last hundreds (or thousands) or years, or digital archival that lasts 5 to 20 years?

It is far, far easier to carry boxes of CDs and DVDs around successfully and find equipment to play it for 50 years than transfer digital downloads from computer to computer, if you do it before your storage fails, over various "standard" formats that come and go over that same time period.

Here's an interesting story about just how fragile digital media can be:
    http://nofilmschool.com/2012/05/backing-up-footage-toy-story-2/

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  18. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

All I want to know is what/which retailer's version has the most additional features. I am willing to pay more for additional features but its not clear what is the best version.

My guess is that most people who buy the bluray or DVDs won't even look at the extra features. I have a million DVDs. There are only 3 that I've bothered looking at. Only one of those was a Star Trek movie. Am I unusual in this?

However I'm interested in the extra for STID because I'm a big Star Trek fan and wonder if someone can tell the fans the best (content wise) bluray or DVD to get. Joe Public couldn't care less

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I like listening to audio commentaries esp. director/crew ones, behind the scenes features etc..

I find it interesting to know why they did things a certain way etc...

20. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Let's face it this entire episode stinks - what on earth is wrong with releasing a bare-bones disc, and one with all the features on for more cash? Let the consumer choose, instead Paramount have decided to see just how far they can rip fans off, it's disgusting if you ask me, I'd happily pay £20+ for a 2 disc set, now all the special features are gonna be floating around in various places - different discs, downloads etc. Bollocks to that, I'll just get the cheapest version I can now, and raise the middle finger to the rest of the extras

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.