The Voice 4

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by intrinsical, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting that the vast majority of votes weren't counted, but that it didn't change the outcome (or so they say). After watching all of this week's performances the only real standouts for me are Michelle Chamuel and Judith Hill. Danielle Bradbery is pretty good as well, though that seems to come down to song choice quite a bit for her.

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

All four of the performances I liked advanced, and three of them by popular vote. (Michelle Chamuel, Judith Hill, Garett Gardner, Sasha Allen).

But I'm befuddled by Amber Carrington and Danielle Bradbery being the two highest selling on iTunes. They were two of the blandest performances to my ears.

3. Spot's Meow

Yeah, I don't really understand it either. As I said before, with Danielle Bradbery I think it might be more about song choice. I really love the song she performed and now I've gone back and listened to the original, even though I didn't think her performance of it was necessarily the most amazing. Amber Carrington I don't get at all, as I'm sure you could tell from my comments earlier in the thread about her. :lol: I don't even remember what song she sang. She's just so dang forgettable.

I also think that the four you pointed out are definitely my favorites to win, and I think have a very good shot at making it far. I'm not sure why Garett Gardner wasn't saved by the vote though, I thought he was very good and he has that "bad boy" look to him that teenage girls seem to love. Oh well, hopefully he has a better song choice next time.

And I love how for every performance this past week the coaches basically said the same thing, "I chose a song that will show their soft, intimate side." They all wanted to show us "a different side" to their singers. That's great, except when it becomes every performance. :lol:

I can't believe the other coaches hadn't heard the song Fishin' in the Dark. I don't even listen to much country and I have known that song my whole life. I can sing all of the lyrics and I don't even know how or when I learned them.

By the way, I still don't understand Usher's attachment to Josiah. The dude is boring and always has a smug look on his face. I understand why he made it this far but I wouldn't have saved him. Usher seems to think he will be a hit somehow. The guy has some great skill for finding talent, but I'm not seeing it in that one.

4. JirinPanthosa

Once again, Sasha Allen blows me away and gets a lukewarm response, then Danielle Bradbery sings a technically competent bland performance that sounds like something played on the speaker at CVS and gets buried in hyperbole. I'm genuinely concerned about the stability of the fabric of the universe right now.

I'm not sure what Garrett Gardner was thinking with his song choice. Maybe he thought because McKenzie pulled off a One Direction song last season that he could do it with the Backstreet Boys?

5. Spot's Meow

My understanding is that Shakira chose that song for him, Garrett didn't necessarily have much choice in the matter. But yeah that was weird.

The only performance that I truly enjoyed was Judith Hill's. Maybe I'm over this show or something, because I really found most of the performances to be terribly bland.

6. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Judith's ego is way too big for this show. Tonight, for example, they are singing a mellow song as a team with Adam and then she starts barking and bellowing. If she wins, I won't quit the show, but I will be disappointed.

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The audience will probably get tired of her. Awesome from the start, technically proficient, but can't really get better or offer any surprises. I don't expect her to win, and she's not selling that great on iTunes so far if that's any indicator.

So Tuesday's round of voter eliminations was no surprise. I knew Garrett was gone for sure. Vedo being voted through last week and being ousted this week makes me think Usher's singers will whittle down to just Michelle pretty quickly.

Blake and Adam have been known to collaborate with their singers for what song to choose. They made a pretty big deal about The Swon Brothers picking a George Jones song for Monday. During season two, the snippets with Blake made it appear that Jermaine Paul was picking all his own songs. I think there was a singer on Adam's team one year where the song wasn't working so they just tossed it and picked a new one.

Maybe it's the editing, but it appears that Shakira and Usher are picking the songs and that's the final say.

8. JirinPanthosa

For me, the three that continuously stand out are Sasha Allen, Judith Hill and Michell Chamuel. The rest are technically competent but bland. Far weaker crop than last year.

Even if Shakira somehow thought her growling rocker should sing a boy band song, why that one? One whose melody sounds super-weird if it's not sung by at least two different people.

9. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I may be biased because of my love of Amy Whitcomb's voice, but I agree that this year's top 16 singers are technically competent but very bland. In fact, I tuned out after Judith Hill's performance. I still feel Amy should have at least been in the top 16 :P

10. Spot's Meow

These are pretty much my feelings as well. Michelle is my favorite, then Judith, then everyone else is just okay after that. :lol:

11. Danny99

12. Danny99

Why don't we just give Judith Hill the crown now the way all these judges and even the damn host are drooling over her!

13. JirinPanthosa

Danielle Bradbery beats her in iTunes sales and the coaches drool over her even more. And Bradbery is far less deserving.

The Swon Brothers may join my group of people I wouldn't mind seeing win.

Amber Carrington (Who's singing as I type this) is even more confusing. She has trouble hitting notes and has no personality, yet she's always toward the top in iTunes sales.

Edit: Likely eliminations are pretty obvious this week: Kris Thomas and Josiah Hawley

I think the Swon Brothers are going to be the only males in the final 8.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  14. Spot's Meow

Another mediocre episode. Disappointing! None of the performances really stood out for me, but again Michelle Chamuel and Judith Hill did the best I think. It seemed like Danielle Bradbery and Amber Carrington did especially poor last night, just couldn't hit the notes that they were supposed to. I've liked Danielle in the past, and I like the song that she sang tonight, she just didn't do that well. Yet the judges, even Usher the Negative Nancy, didn't have anything bad to say.

I feel like there's a complete disconnect this season between the judges, the voters, and my own preferences. None of these three have been aligning and it's a bit frustrating to watch.

15. JirinPanthosa

I think Sarah Simmons was great this episode, but it's true all the other performances weren't so hot. Michelle Chamuel and the Swon Brothers were good, Sasha Allen and Judith Hill were decent, the rest were pretty weak.

The iTunes sales chart confirms my suspicions about who is probably going home tonight. All the men who are not the Swon Brothers are way behind everything else. They're even behind some of the other performers' singles from previous weeks.

And Danielle Bradbery for some reason is the top selling again, even though she somehow managed to out-bland herself.

16. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Swon Brothers, Danielle and Judith probably have the best chance of getting a proper career out of this. They're all talented and easy to package for marketing, though Judith could use some more personality. Michelle would be very difficult to market effectively, and the others really just don't have enough of a presence.

17. Danny99

Judith could use any kind of personality. They made a big deal about how critics are saying she's riding MJ's coat tails and how wrong people are about her, but it's not that all. She is cold, emotionless, and besides snippets of last night, it doesn't seem like this would be life changing for her. She's not the package that is easy to market.

18. Danny99

Vin Diesel is high on something, Michelle just looks embarrassed to be stuck with him.

19. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

She is uniquely attractive, multi-ethnic, sings like a beast, sang with MJ (they could do some sort of remix thing sampling their songs together), looks the part of a pop diva, etc. She should hire an image consultant like, right now, to help push whatever image is going to sell for her.

20. Danny99

Sarah Simmonds is absolutely wrecking "Somebody That I Used To Know." One of my favorite songs and it just got ruined on national TV.