So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Yes, thank you. That's exactly what I meant. Obviously, when a film is an adaptation of a book, it's a different story.

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

With it being the anniversary week of the Kennedy assassination, time for Stephen King's 11/22/63...

3. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Published my review of Janet Kagen's 1985 novel, Uhura's Song.

Finished Cloud Atlas, heading out in a few minutes to see the film!

Currently (re-) reading The Hobbit.

4. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

278 pages through Terok Nor: Day Of The Vipers. (I know, I'm a slow reader, but with college getting in the way, what can you do?)

Next, I will read The Persistence of Memory, which I just picked up on Saturday.

5. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finished Mirror Universe: Rise Like Lions, which was fantastic. Not quite a strong as Sorrows of Empire but pretty damn good.

Also read "Reservoir Ferengi" which was an enjoyable romp.

Now onto The Never-Ending Sacrifice.

6. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just have to say that I love you for that last sentence. :D

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Getting extremely literary, I've read the first four issues of the Vampirella/Dark Shadows crossover comic. It's fun, but feels like a Vampirella adventure with Barnabas and Quentin squeezed in. I think it would have felt more like Dark Shadows if it had been set in Collinsport instead of the gritty streets of New York City. (Although the comic gets a bit of comic mileage out of Barnabas being a fish out of water, having to deal with big-city strip joints and sex clubs.)

Maybe Vampi can return the favor by dropping in on Collinswood in a sequel?

8. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  9. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Just finished David Mack's, The Persistence of Memory,(AWESOME!) now onto a few IDW Trek comics. The word on the street is that they have hints about the upcoming movie (not sure if that true)?:shrug:

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's what they say, but we won't really know what that means until we've seen the movie.

11. Patrick O'Brien

^If it was a ploy to get me to read a few comics it worked:lol: I finished volume 1 and 2 yesterday. Now I am reading an older book I picked up The Klingon Gambit. So far it is decent. Anyone remember this one?

12. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished that one yesterday. Now I'm reading Infinite Crisis by Greg Cox.

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Hope you like it!

14. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been reading some of the older Tng novels I just finished reading Imzadi by Peter David,Exiles by Howard Weinstein and Gemworld book 1 By John Vornholt.I'm reading Gemworld book 2 right now.

15. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Percy Jackson: The Titan's Curse yesterday. I'm now reading New Frontier: Excalibur: Restoration.

16. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

I was reading The Humans Who Went Extinct, but it's gone missing, so shortly before thanksgiving I began the so-far wonderful 1493, by Charles C Mann. History meets biology with climate and economics thrown in... :D

17. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Like the dope that I am I bought the entire Lost fleet series by Jack Campbell.(Sometimes you buy the first book in a series,love it and then have trouble finding the follow-up's.
    OMG...OMFG.These books are slow,people.Slow,slow,slow.
    These books are slow.

18. Patrick O'Brien

^I have toyed with the idea of reading the Lost Fleet books in the past. I think I will hold off now:guffaw:

19. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished reading Gemworld book2 by John Vornholt the story was okay but not the best story I've read in a older TNG novel recentlty.I like the Reg Barclay story arc I didn't like Melora Pazlar's character in these novels. I never really liked her attitude towards the other Enterprise members.She certainly should've been kicked out of Starfleet.

20. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finished The Never-Ending Sacrifice last night. What a great read. A sequel to a great episode of DS9, a great coda to the series as a whole, too. Can't believe I've finished out the DS9-R. (Yes, I know that there are newer DS9 books but they're in Typhon Pact!)

Taking a small break from Trek-Lit to catch up on my comics/graphic novel reading. Also, I'm planning on reading The Hobbit over the next few weeks in preparation for the movie. I actually haven't read it before, much to my shame. When the LotR films came out, I read each book right before the film. I had every intention of going back and reading The Hobbit, but never did. Now's my chance.

When I did read the LotR books, I listened to the Rob Inglis audiobooks at the same time. Which actually made me really enjoy the book the more, with Inglis singing all the songs and speaking elvish. I might do that again.