Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I for one liked Chang's 40s detective plot in the third episode. Once again we get to see how toxic and petty the group is at times. Felt sorry for Todd having to deal with those douche bags.

Rewatching season 1 at the moment and it seems a bit odd that Troy and Abed are doing Biology 101 when they were attending a biology class in their first semester, and Troy possibly for second semester depending on whether his attending biology was a lie as well with his fake valentine in "Communications Studies".

2. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know, I kind of like the Chang character.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The thing that I find interesting about the characters is that they don't really act at times like friends do. They come through for each other during extreme situations sure, but they act more like a study group than a group of friends. Troy and Abed are probably the only example of true friends in their group. Not explaining myself well here but I guess what I'm trying to say is that they use the status of being a study group as a kind of safety blanket to "protect" themselves when things do spiral out of control. Friends is an entirely different connotation altogether.

4. Admiral_Young

Tonight was an interesting episode. We got some more Jeff and Annie teasing although given the nature of the episode it's just teasing. Also a Chang-less episode!

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Great episode tonight. :)

6. Geck

Geck Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While most of the episode may not have actually happened....this was probably my favourite episode of Community ever. Absolute brilliance. A great concept, and the humour and heart grew organically from the characters.

Also interesting to see that the only timeline that didn't end in disaster was the one without Jeff there. Last season Pierce was the outside, this year definitely seems to be Jeff. I'm hoping they'll keep building on that theme throughout the year.

Only thing that bugged me a bit was never learning why Annie had a gun in her bag.

7. Admiral_Young

I'm guessing Annie finally bought a gun for protection in her shady neighbourhood. I enjoyed the episode but it felt weird as it explored all the timelines. The best part though for me was the end when we see the "mirror universe" counterparts. I would not be shocked if this was revisited at some point in the season. In fact I would guess that most of what we saw were plot seeds just told in alternate realities.

8. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

fantastic episode tonight best so far this season.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Abeb already broke through into a mirror universe in the Model UN episode.

It's in his character.

He can do it.

10. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

Agreed on all counts! And not just the most brilliant Community episode, either. This trumped just about anything I've seen anywhere.

Of course, being a asthmatic (in remission), it's dangerous for me to laugh too hard. After Troy's line (sans-larynx), "Clearly you don't understand anything about defeating Trolls", paramedics were standing by. :guffaw:

11. Admiral_Young

I don't know if I would call it my favourite episode of the series but it was right up there. I still think both paintball episodes trumped this...something about this episode bugged me and I'm not sure what.

12. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This episode played with a high concept you don't often see - heck, I think the last time a sitcom even tried it was Frasier, no? Something about red or green lights at a traffic stop?

Also, at the very end, if you listen carefully you can hear that Troy and Abed are watching "Inspector Spacetime". It's here to stay, people. :)

Mark

13. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

This was great. Erases the last few, which I didn't think were all that great. AND, it is interesting, things go best without Jeff telling people how to behave....

And I do hope the mirror universe returns...

14. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Yes, it might be fun to revisit the alternate timelines down the road.

Great stuff this week, we were laughing all the way through.

15. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Troy timeline was amazing, possibly my favourite moment in the whole show. They set up all the elements of it in the previous timelines and then set them all off one-by-one over the course of one chaotic minute. Absolute brilliance.

16. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed it well enough, definitely better than the past few episodes, but nowhere near the fun of the paint-ball episodes. And the one with the gigantic fort. Loved that episode.

I think for me, this episode had too much of a... Nerd Pretentiousness? lol, it's tough to explain, but it felt too eager to show its obvious sci-fi trappings and influences while at the same time pretending to be brilliant and unique? I'm definitely reading too much into it. But there was something there preventing me from boosting from "enjoying it" to "loving it".

17. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, agreed, THAT part had me howling. The Troy timeline was so fantastic and well done, very very funny.

I think Troy over-reacting (or in this case, reacting) to situations are my favourite moments, like "you can't disappoint a picture!"

18. Admiral_Young

It is interesting that the writers have chosen to continue harping on Troy and Annie's insecurities about being the youngest in the group. I believe that in the case of Jeff and Annie this issue is the one single thing that is keeping them from being together. I think Annie wants a serious relationship with Jeff and of course Jeff is probably only interested in just sleeping with her, although he might want a relationship and just can't admit it to himself given his commitment issues. I like the fact that all of their issues and dramas effect the group in some way or another. It is why they work so well as a group.

19. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I loved this episode....but methinks there is something big going on here. Much much bigger than one episode. Why? Because Pierce mentioned having sex with Eartha Kitt in an airplane bathroom once before this season, and it was repeated so often I couldn't help but think it was a tell of something bigger going on.

What with Inspector Spacetime as well, I think Dan Harmon may have REALLY liked the new seasons of Doctor Who...

20. Admiral_Young

I wouldn't be surprised if Harmon was weaving a Moffat like arc!