Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by 23skidoo, Nov 5, 2009.

1. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Mine did, yeah. It wasn't visible until I unwrapped the Best Buy price sticker, but it was there.

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have one episode to go in the first season. Everyone says that the final four episodes was when the series got really good, yet for some reason I watched Bone to be Wild last night and could name 5 episodes this season which were better than it. Yes it had Scorpius and Browder's wife, but I didn't really like the whole M'Lee storyline (Scorpius though getting rid of Crais was the best, with Aeryn and the Baby being good too). It wasn't a bad episode per say, but probably the weakest of the final four.

3. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, they do that occasionally. It's weird too because I think if they had simply scrapped Born to be Wild and intergrated the arc story into the previous episode, the last quarter of the season would have flowed a lot better. Same thing with Kansas/Terra Firma. Kansas was a fun episode, but it would have been much cooler if they'd simply blasted back to Earth without the time travel. Just MHO though.

4. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really dug "Bone To Be Wild" at first because its inversion of standard cliches and tropes is completely nuts. The ugly guy isn't the monster, it's the cute girl! But the cute girl actually isn't as ethically repulsive as the ugly guy. Shock, double twist! Also Zhaan is a plant. Plot point!

However when people mean the final stretch of episodes are the best in the first season, this episode is typically the exception because - aside from the B-plot - it really has nothing to do with the main plot and is arguably rather awkwardly inserted into the arc (not the best time to go for a rescue mission, and the ending of the episode with the hungry monster right next to Scorpius is uncereminously ignored.)

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It's mentioned in the next episode. Scorpius asks Braca what happened to the guard assigned to watch her, and Braca says that he has gone missing, implying that he has been eaten. It's one of those throwaway lines that is very easy to miss.

6. superstring01

superstring01 Commander Red Shirt

I own the mini on DVD (one of the best minis I've ever seen). I want the series on BluRay.

~String

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

And not only that, but M'Lee was supposed to return, at least in unreal form, as part of the band Chrichton encounters in "Won't Get Fooled Again."

As for releasing the series on Blu-Ray, I doubt will see that while A&E has the rights. It's awfully telling that they didn't generate one bit of new material for this release of the series (the only "new" bit being an old television special), and they even failed to port over some of the features from the Starburst sets, too. A high definition version of the series would require a serious financial investment, which A&E hasn't made with this set.

8. D Man

D Man Commodore Commodore

I watched the first season about a year ago and started to really like it, but somehow never got around to continuing. I even kind of liked that episode where John gets marooned on the planet for months, I think it's considered pretty terrible? I think I'll be picking this set up as an almost-blind buy, because I'm fairly certain I'll end up loving the show. I assume you guys aren't going to talk me out of it. :p

9. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Well, I definitely won't talk you out of it. ;)

And if you even enjoyed Jeremiah Crichton you're gonna love the show.

10. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmrph. Just found out the artifacting was because I kept setting the discs down on my friend's bed ... consequently getting them a tad dusty. Cleaned them off and have had no issues since! I guess this set gets a pass on visual quality with that said...

11. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I can understand that. I have the same thing going with my Star Trek DVD's. I have two bookshelves in my living room, one that is actually for books, and the other is full of DVD sets and movies. The entire top shelf is devoted to Star Trek. Of course I managed to get the season sets of all five shows (in the case of TOS, both the originals, and the remastered), TAS, and all 11 movies stuffed up there.

They've sort of crowded out my other DVD's.

12. tomalak301

So if anyone was doing a Farscape rewatch, where are you currently. For me, I watched The Way We Weren't and Picture if You Will last night. TWWW is still one of the most amazing hours of Television I've ever seen (Of course, my favorite episode of the series) and I actually somewhat enjoyed Picture, even though the end kind of made the episode dive a bit. Nice to see Maldis again.

13. Kegg

"The Way We Weren't" took a slight dive in my estimation when I rewatched the series - I still liked it, but Aeryn's speech to Pilot at the end feels a trifle soapish now, as do a couple of other beats. I don't know, it's still good and the twisting way both are complicit in a pretty ugly event (and in Aeryn's case, also involved in a more personal betrayal) make it a pretty strong character study.

And the whole attitude of the episode is summed up rather aptly by Chiana: Did we think Aeryn was one of the nice Peacekeepers or something?

I liked the Maldis episode, like the earlier one it was weird but tending on the goofy side of the weird rather than the disturbing side (for a supposedly ultimately unstoppable and unkillable force Maldis inspires laughter far more than he inspires dread).

14. tomalak301

Are you talking about the "Take the Journey with me" speech? That makes the episode for me. Realizing that yes, She does share his DNA makes it all the more poignant considered the emotional memories they've had to experience throughout the rest of the show. The way everything came together was just brilliant.

15. Kegg

Yeah, that's the one. Struck me the wrong way upon rewatching the series - it just feels a little pat, to be honest.

16. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been watching Farscape again thanks to Netflix and I have to admit, the show really has aged very well. Its aged better than a number of other shows. Sure some of the S1/S2 aliens are a little on the cheesy side, but this show really has some great stories.

Now I keep saying Farscape swears LOL."I'm freezing my frelling nivoks off!"

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

mivonks :p

I'm actually in the middle of Season 4 with my friends. I've been making them watch, and they love it. Unfortunately, we won't be able to finish off the series until they come back home for Christmas.

I'm tempted to not show them the miniseries and just end it with "Bad Timing." :lol:

And then I'll show them "The Peacekeeper Wars" two years from now.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

You know, I didn't see the series until The Peacekeeper Wars was about to be released. But then I ended up waiting two years (three years?) before I watched the fourth season and the miniseries, anyway. I'm such a glutton for punishment.

I need to replace my first season DVDs--they're the double sided Starburst sets--and my first volume of season two. Money's tight right now, though, so it'll have to wait.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm currently watching "John Quixote." It's such an awesome example of just how fucked up Farscape could get.

Season 4 is amazing (even the first half) if you pay enough attention. There is a lot of subtlety to the overall story that you miss the first time around.

20. Kegg

I first caught the show in the furore around its cancellation, which was around the time for some reason there were constant marathons of it here on Sci-Fi (I'm not sure why, in retrospect - hey, check out this awesome cancelled show?). A random mishmash of episodes that included "Coup by Clam" and "Out of Their Minds", both of which I considered terrible. I didn't get it and I didn't like it and I didn't understand why so many people were trying to bring it back.

I wound up trying it again a few years later, from the start. That was a fairly good call.