USA Today poll: 70% want Shatner back as Kirk

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by VOODOOXI, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

2/3 is certainly not "everyone."

Shatner. Such a polarizer...

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Commodore Commodore

"Shatner hated the scene. "The mistake I made was thinking I could make it a spectacular death with what they had written," says the actor, who then dreamed up a story line to bring Kirk back: Spock snatched Kirk's DNA. His idea became the novel The Return, and he says it could work in the new film.

Abrams responds, "You and I could come up with dozens of ways, but every way that we came up with felt like it was transparently fan boys trying to get Shatner in the movie."

I could care less whether Shatner is in this or not, but still - Abrams' last sentence sums it up both as clear and as brief as you can get.

3. Dale

Dale Vice Admiral Admiral

Too old, too fat, too late, no Shat.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Like any Internet poll, it's meaningless. The decision's been made.

Never give people what they want - as any number of creative people, including the much-ballyhooed Nicholas Meyer, have observed the job of the artist is to do what he/she thinks is right and hope that people like it.

5. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why are the BBKers so ardent about getting Shatner in the film?

They have brought back Kirk, after all. And as he's played by that twentysyomething youngster Chris Pine, there's the potential for more Kirk for decades to come.

This is win-win for them, right? I mean, it's not the film they described in their trailer, but such an excessive display of fan service was both highly unlikely and I can't see it turning out than anything other than a bloated assortment of 'gee whiz, cool!' fanboyish ideas.

As for my stance on Shatner coming back - eh, I think the film could work with him and it could work without him. I'm Swiss on Shat.

6. Holytomato

Holytomato Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Indeed. I fart in the general direction of this poll."

"I fart in you're general direction. You're father was a hamster, and you're mother smells like elderberries."

:D

Let's see USA Today, the shill for the Nazis, the Christian Taliban, The bigots who pretend they are Liberals, and the Uncle Toms who pretend they are Liberals. :guffaw:

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey might as well erase the last movie and replace it. Works for me! :thumbsup:

I want Shat to get a cameo as a fat old lecherous Orion slave trader. Chris Pine as Kirk pulls ut a phaser and vaporizes him. THAT is the way Shat should go out - melodramatic and looney to the last.

Even better if Shat the Orion were the first guy Kirk kills on the job.

And if there's some question of Trek XI altering the timeline even a little bit, there would be the possibility of Kirk's fate being something different. They could even replay Generations (Wentworth Miller would make a great Picard, but this time he should speak in a sexeee Franch ack-ZENT) and have Pine's Kirk kick Soran's butt (played by Alexander Siddig of course) and survive to a ripe old age.

8. wekkuli

wekkuli Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I can see that, but actually he looks pretty good for his age (76).

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doesn't look as good as Chris Pine, tho. :drool:

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Well if Trek 11 is a hit maybe the draw for a Trek 12 would be a Shatner as Kirk appearance in someway.

As the saying goes, "Don't shoot your wad all at once"

11. Dale

Dale Vice Admiral Admiral

Fat people always look healthier than skinny people when they get old. Fewer wrinkles. But pretty good for 76-year-old Shatner doesn't mean pretty good for Kirk. Old, bloated, red-faced Kirk just doesn't do it for me. It'd be, in turns, funny and sad watching Shatner waddle around trying to be Captain Kirk. I love Shatner and I loved his Kirk... grew up with him, he was my hero... but his time is definitely past.

12. Holytomato

Remember the Direct TV insert into Star Trek VI?

"As the saying goes, "Don't shoot your wad all at once""

Mmm....isn't supposed to be,

"Don't eject your warp core?"

-Starfleet Handbook p. 2 Paragraph 8 Line 2

(Before, "Angels protect ships named Enterprise", and after, "Risk is our business", "Weird is part of the job"; and "That's why they pay me the big money".)

13. FlyingTigress

FlyingTigress Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

And the rest voted for Ron Paul to be "Kirk".

14. JBElliott

JBElliott Commander Red Shirt

The same could be said for the audience going to see the movie, when it comes out.

15. blaXXer

blaXXer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

People used to troll better around here, you know?

16. Holytomato

We're losing the effective trolls :confused: :eek: :wtf:

Where are they going?

17. JBElliott

JBElliott Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, like old Spock going back in time to team up with young Spock to stop some future Romulans from killing past Kirk is that much better than the work of "fan boys." Don't writers get paid for coming up with stories that do what fans like but in ways that are better than fans could do?

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, not in the sense that you mean.

They get paid for coming up with stories that it's hoped and that experience tells them the audience will like, not for taking a dictated "wish list" from the audience and incorporating it into their work. There are several words for doing that - "pandering" is one, but none of them are nice.

You may or may not recollect how furious many fans were when it was found out that the guy who had bumped Mr. Star Trek Roddenberry out of the driver's seat was going to kill off Mr. Spock.

19. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

According the the latest on-line poll, 96% of on-line polls are meaningless.

20. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

^ In other news 50% of folks here Like Pie ! ^

I just checked that a second ago.

- W -
    * heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh *