why does tng blu ray have 6 disks and original series have 7 disks

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by tmosler, Mar 6, 2013.

1. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am just curious I was wondering why the original series blu ray have 7 disks and tng only has 6. the reason I ask is i was wondering whether it was due to the budget or something else because i think it would help the compression and the bit rate which was pushing the envelope in some places in seaon one.

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

There were more epsiodes, so you need more space/discs.

TOS Season 1 - 29 eps
    TNG Season 1 - 25 eps

TOS Season 2 - 26 eps
    TNG Season 2 - 22 eps

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

A TOS episode is also typically 5-6 minutes longer than the typical TNG episode, which adds up when you put 4 episodes on a single disc.

4. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Something to do with the seamless branching options too, perhaps?

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Longer episodes and more of them in a season.

6. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

You could probably put all the episodes on two or three disks. that was the original reason for Blu Rays, to use all the available space. I believe, for example, that a typical Blu Ray movie only needs one disk, which would include all the special features that would be on a DVD version of the film that would need an extra disk. Of course, the manufacturers think we're all stupid, and that we think we are getting less when we see less physical disks.

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

You probably could... if you stored everything in SD. But considering HD movies have more than double the resolution that SD ones have storing things on a disc in HD is going take up much, much more space.

8. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Think about what you're proposing though. A typical blu-ray movie is roughly 2-2 1/2 hours long.

Ten to 13 episodes would add up to 7-9 hours of content per disc and would cause either visible compression artifacting due to the low bitrate and inherent grain present in the original photography or require the over-application of digital noise reduction tools to remove all that high frequency detail. Imagine every episode's live-action portions looking as soft as the Season Two VFX shots... or more!

At that point, calling it HD would be false advertising. :lol:

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Blu-Ray ISN'T about shoving as many standard definition episodes into one disc as possible, it is about presented HD episodes in the best quality!

If having to change discs annoys you so much, have the episodes downloaded into your brain!:scream:

10. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Think of it this way - a typical well-authorized DVD is about 7-9 megabits per second. A well-authorized Blu-ray that isn't too compressed is 25-35 megabits per second, so about 4 times the bandwidth of a DVD. DVD can hold up to 8.5GB while a Blu-ray can up to about 45GB. So a Blu-ray at 1080p can only hold about an extra hour over what a DVD at 480i can hold without too much compression. Hence for TV shows like Trek, they're able to fit an extra episode onto a Blu-ray disc. Any more, and you get compression artifacts.

Think about that 20-30 Mbps bandwidth next time you're watching Netflix. You're watching HD that is compressed to about 4 Mbps. That's one of the many reasons physical media isn't going anywhere for a long time. Very few internet providers can even supply Blu-ray-quality speeds, and if they did, they'd throttle you to prevent you from using that much juice.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013