Combating Complacency

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by RoJoHen, Feb 6, 2013.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

What do you do?!

Okay, so, for the first time in years I am very satisfied in my job and friends and life in general. However, as a result, I find myself not really striving for anything. I have no goals.

For the last few months I have been suffering from a complete lack of motivation. Normally in January I am struck with all sorts of New Years energy to get my life back on track, but there really isn't anything I can think of to do. Because of my schedule at work, I actually have A LOT of free time during the day where I could be accomplishing things, but mostly I just sit at home or go to the gym or aimlessly drive around town in search of something to do.

My mood is generally fine; I want to be motivated. I just don't know where I want that motivation to take me.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

You have peaked.

The rest of your life will be spent trying to maintain a plateau and not go downhill. You can do it!!

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Boooooooooo! NOT what I want to hear.

4. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I think that self-improvement is a lifelong goal, even if all of your immediate needs are being met. How can you become a better, kinder, more knowledgeable, healthier, or more accomplished person?

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

While I agree that these kinds of things are important, they're too general for what I'm talking about. "Bettering myself" doesn't force me to get out of bed in the morning and do anything.

I think it's possible that I've just turned myself off since I know I'm going on vacation next month. I haven't been on a vacation in YEARS, and I don't really have anything big coming up between now and then. I feel like I'm coasting through life, which is not a feeling I'm used to.

6. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I envy you.

7. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

If you're happy and content with where you are, enjoy it. Maybe in a few years time you'll feel a bit bored or get the sense that you want to move on, and then you'll be motivated to make another change. :) Don't worry yourself over the fact that you're not worrying, so to speak. You've hit a lazy stretch of the river, so lay back and enjoy it. The rapids will come again eventually; they always do. ;)

8. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Find the closest climbing gym and a buddy, and take a learn the ropes class.

9. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Complacency? Meh. Whatever.

OK, on the serious side, you might doing something new. Learn a new language, try a different sport, even try playing a new game. Just do something different. Anything.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I was enjoying it. Now I'm bored. I don't respond well to boredom.

11. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

When I had my second child I kind of fell in a rut where the daily routine of work and child care left me wanting to do something else to improve myself. I decided to run a marathon. I went out and bought a book with a good training plan as well as running tips/diet etc. It really helped give me a mid term goal that I felt I could accomplish. After I ran it I started looking for the next challenge. I run one a year now and love the training process.

12. Deranged Nasat

Maybe give yourself a project? Not one that will make you feel like you're constrained by a schedule (so not one that will take away that sense of freedom that comes from having no major pressures), but one that allows you to feel that you have something to work toward. Myself, I've been on medical leave from work for the last month; it might be a few months more before I'm back. I started on the first draft of a novel not long ago - I try to do some every day, and it helps me feel like I'm doing something worthwhile while I wait to start work again. Have you considered doing something like that? :)

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That's the problem. I know I need a project. I just don't know what to do. I have the motivation; I just can't decide where to put it.

14. Deranged Nasat

Well, there's one idea - write. A novel, an amusing autobiography, a history of the bar where you work, whatever works for you.

Or...

My grandfather loves to garden. He spends hours on it. Maybe you could take up gardening.

PS: Sorry if I'm not being particularly helpful here. These are serious ideas, but reading over the post it might look a bit flippant; it's not meant to be.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

No, it's fine. I can come up with lots of ideas, too. I just don't like any of them! :p

16. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Well yes, I couldn't get too specific because I know how picky you are. You've got to find your own things to do. All I know about you has to do with alcohol, beards, and your cat!

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Funny. As of a couple days ago, I am no longer drinking. :lol:

18. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I was going to combat complacency, but I couldn't be bothered...

Have you tried meth? I've heard good things.

:shrug:

Okay, seriously...I'm with the folks that say "enjoy it". Something will come along to challenge you eventually.

Right now, stay in the moment.

:techman:

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The moment is lame.

20. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Or...is it the Greatest Moment Ever??