The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think that's about it.

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I probably could, but I haven't been critically wounded. And, apparently, it was actually several weeks. Plus, there was that business with Carl healing so quickly.

I know that he's not a "living zombie" in the books, but the show seems to be departing from the original story in many ways. Also, has the book given any explanation or details on the virus?

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

You mean like virtually every other character injured in a tv show or movie? Yep, that's conclusive evidence.

4. Snowlilly

Snowlilly Lieutenant Red Shirt

I had that same thinking, because the body definitely can not go without fluids for more than a 3-4 days and they definitely implied it was longer. But even if it was say a week or even 2.......like you said, what was Lori doing already having sex with Shane?? Even if she thought Rick was dead, must have been some kind of love to just jump ship and shack up with Shane. Floosy......have not liked her through any of the seasons.

5. RJDiogenes

No, it's not conclusive evidence, but considering the severity of the wound and the impromptu surgery by a veterinarian, it does seem notable. I can't think of any other examples of such severe wounds healing so quickly and completely.

6. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lori also slept with Shane in the comics, but from the way it was portrayed, it happened only one time on the road, and she was extremely depressed and despondent and and wasn't in her right mind. It never happened again, but it was enough for Shane to believe that she was his woman now.

I could understand what happened with comic Lori, but yea, TV Lori just comes across as a manipulative bitch, using what she has to assure she has a protector.

7. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Randall (the guy whose leg was impaled that they voted to execute) was hobbled that episode, and Daryl even used the wound to torture him, but as soon as the next episode doesn't seem to be suffering any lingering effects when Rick and Shane have their all-out throwdown. Which wasn't as serious as Carl's injuries but it was still pretty rapid.

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Not too clear on the exact timeline myself, but wasn't Rick on a drip? They should have kept him hydrated for a least a while. Not long mind, but enough I think to allow him to last about a week on his own. IIRC you can go a *long* time between meals and live, but three days is about as long as you can go without water.

Actually, come to think of it, aren't coma patients supposed to be put on nutritional IV as well as just fluid replacement?

Of course Rick spent the whole time in bed, not moving and thus not burning many calories. So even assuming he used up his IV bags, while he would have been pretty weak and thirsty when he awoke, I think it's within the realms of possibility.

9. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

This past episode really threw me when Adrea said she had been with Michonne for 7 to 8 months? So is Lori actually 9 months pregnant now? How much time passed since she screwed Shane then Rick, went tot he CDC, spent time on the farm and then parted from Andrea when the walkers overran it?

10. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

About seven months. They conveniently skipped winter (and the need for the show to film during that season) and advanced the pregnancy to the point where the group is seriously worried about what will happen. Lori is actually late, going by dialogue. Also conveniently, six months somewhat covers Carl's onset of puberty. He's visibly taller and his voice is changed from the previous season.

Mark

11. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Seems like the Woodbury episode is a little further along in time than where we left the prison. Dialogue with Rick and the others made it sound like it had been maybe 4-5 months since they left the farm, so Lori wasn't far enough along yet.

Probably some time will have passed when we see the prison again. I'm guessing we'll see that they've settled down, begun farming, and are relaxing a bit. (I think they're taking a lesson from the farm and skipping over all the slow-moving stuff this time.) That also means the two plots will be in sync again — and Lori will be just about at term if she isn't late.

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, I predict Lori will be delivering on the show at the same time as the Woodbury pregnancy

I don't think you're correct about the 4-5 months, though, Lori was pretty much ready to give birth when we last saw the Prison

13. Silvercrest

I dunno-- she could have looked like that any time after seven months. Anyway, previews suggest something major is going to disrupt their lives at the prison, and that doesn't work well (in the dramatic sense) if they only just got there. No emotional investment in the place.

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Oh, sure, she could look like that 7 months along, but, there's also the "panicked urgency" to find a place for her to deliver. If she was still 2 months away from delivery, it wouldn't have been presented as so urgent, I don't believe. The first couple episodes gave the impression they were just about expecting her to deliver any minute

15. Silvercrest

Well, we should know the answer when we see if they have some significant crops, or if Hershel is decently healed up yet.

16. RJDiogenes

Good point. I don't really remember the details of that very clearly, so you may be right. Although he did have a lot of adrenaline pumping. :rommie:

17. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

There had also been the passage of a week between the two episodes, based on a Rick comment when he first stops the car at an intersection early in that second episode.

18. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

The addition of David Morrissey as The Governor was interesting. He is one of those excellent but underrated British actors that not many Americans are familiar with.

19. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah I do like this character. It's pretty obvious that he's kind of set up as the opposite coin of Rick - like Rick, this week he killed a rival group and took their stuff.

Sure, Rick killed a group of prisoners, which audiences will find less sympathetic than a group of the national guard, and the Governor did it instantly while Rick waited to be provoked... but in the end it's the same kind of result. You may call Rick's call good and the Governor's as bad, but then, that's what distinguishes them innit (that and his obviously psychotic - if masked behind gentility - urges. A man does not keep fishtanks full of severed heads because they look decorative.)

The episode may have even had a bit of subtelty which for WD surprises me: Standing guard on the walls is repeatedly identified as men's work, including by a woman; every courtesy is extended to two women captured in the wild while the male guardsman are all murdered. Possibly they want to keep women in various nuturing roles (the one job we got defined here for a woman was the doctor) and in particular sources of fresh babies and child-rearing.

You know if that's the case that'd be easily the most depressing thing WD has ever done as it would make the human race functionally extinct. No amount of heroic speeches from Rick could cloud the fact that in under a century there will be no more humans left alive.

I mean becoming zombies is bad enough but unable to create new life is kinda it, what are you really fighting for then besides food and shelter?

20. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Governor = anti-rick
    Asian crew guy = anti-Glenn
    Black crew guy = anti-Tdog
    Merle = anti-Darryl
    Baseball cap crew guy = anti-Carl (always has the hat lol)
    Brunette tour guide/Governor Lover? = anti-Maggie
    Milton= anti-Hershal (both doctors ?)
    Unseen pregnant Woodbury woman = anti-Lori
    Kid raking the leaves= anti-Beth
    2 prisonors Rick spared = Andrea in Michonne (both of those couples are outsiders within there respective main group)