Mass Effect 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheBrew, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

The next DLC is the Overlord thing with the rogue robots (again), nothing to do with Liara.

2. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really? I thought I remember seeing a Liara DLC announcement somewhere.

Certainly there are Liara files in the game, just like there were Kasumi files. If it's just a random unrelated mission, I've pretty much lost interest.

3. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Did a little google research on Liara, PC gamers did find audio files which suggest that a Bioware has the code already present in the game to add on a Liara Quest. Bioware has not commented on it yet, and the speculation has been out there since April.

Overlord is coming this month, but i couldn't find a date for it.

4. firehawk12

Hrm, oh well.
    I expect the DLC to launch E3 week as part of some announcement or promotion or some such... but that might be too obvious.

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Just got done playing the Overlord DLC (I know, I caved again!) and I'm actually quite surprised at how much it exceeded my expectations. Nice varied gameplay, plenty of combat but not so much as to become tiresome, nice scenery and a not-quite-linear area to explore in the hovertank. Of course since I played it with my level 30 femshep with Legion and/or Tali at her side most of the time soldier the combat itself was REALLY easy at times.

The only two complaints I might make is that there's no new toys to play with (weapons or armor) and the tank still handles a bit funny. Not nearly as clumsy as the old Mako but you never get much of a chance to have fun and just cruse for a bit. Part of the appear of ME1 was that you could speed across a nice flat desert or tundra at 90mph, admiring the scenery while you kick up about a metric ton of debris in your wake. Here you can't seam to go more than 5ft with out bashing into some pebble sized rock that brings you to a tumbling halt, so you're forever alternating between jump and boost.
    Plus the explorations is dampened a little by some rather oddly placed invisible walls. Still, overall it was a lot more enjoyable than the other DLC missions and about on par with some of the best loyalty or story missions.

6. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honestly, I liked the Kasumi DLC more. Even though it's shorter, you at least get a new NPC and, the in case of Femshep, a hot dress to run around in on the Normandy. Here you ultimately get... a heavy skin weave upgrade. Wee.... The story didn't do a whole lot for me. And I still hate the Hammerhead. Sure it's way easier to get around in than the Mako, but god damn is it fragile.

7. firehawk12

I was hoping that they'd throw in some party interaction but that's not reasonable for DLC I suppose. At this point I want them to sell expansions because that'll be the only way we get something that's produced as well as the main game.

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^ There is a tiny bit of party interaction, that is if you bring Legion on the first mission.

Ironically this was also the first time I had played with Kasumi in my party since acquiring her. The watcha-call-it assassination power comes in very hand against destroyers and heavy mechs.

I'm not too interested in acquiring new NPCs as the vanilla team is pretty complete. Massani always felt superfluous and I never did use him much; I tended to stick with Tali (who my character almost always used in ME1 along with Liara) and usually either Jack, Grunt or Samara. The doc always seems a bit out of place in a heavy fire fight and I rarely saw much advantage in using Garrus, Jacob of Miranda, at least after the early missions.

As for the dress...I don't know that it works for me. I mean she still walks and runs with that same swagger as if she's still wearing armour. It looks a little...odd.
    Speaking of running, dose anyone else notice the way Shep's head sort of lists to one side when you run around the Normandy as if he/she is constantly trying to read something on his/her shoe? Don't know why but it bugs me.

Seconded. the Hammerhead combat seems to require getting just slightly in range, strafing like mad and quickly ducking out again to recover (rinse and repeat.) I suppose it could be worse, I mean regenerating health for a tank strains credibility enough, making it to tough would just be silly. As I recall there wasn't much that could really threaten the Mako so long as you kept moving.

9. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gotta love when she sometimes sits to talk to an NPC on the ship, Garrus is a good example, and she's got her legs wide open with that skirt on. :lol:
    I think that happens after you talk to an NPC and start to move away while they continue to say something after the dialogue wheel screen. Shepard's head is still "locked" on to them, causing you to look down when you move then. If you stop, Shepard's head will return to the default position. I notice this all the time after I turn around and leave while Joker's is still saying "See you, commander." If you wait for his line to finish before moving, Shepard's head will return to looking straight ahead and you won't get that looking down thing.

10. SuperVPN

SuperVPN Guest

I heard that this game is great. I just download Mass Effect. After i finish this part i will go on second.

11. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

You heard correctly :D

Have fun with it, I certainly did :cool:

12. Brandonv

Brandonv Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was wondering, does anyone else wish that the Mako was included in ME2? Despite the vehicles poor handling, I always thought it was fun exploring all the various alien landscapes looking for artifacts, ect.

I get the impression that the Mako was removed because of all the complaints on the internet. Too bad, because I would have preferred the Mako over the resource gathering mini-game in ME2.

13. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Brandonv - Apparently a lot of people had issues with it. I thought it was ok on the pc version, but never tried it on X-Box. I wouldn't have minded using it again.

I can't claim that I was the most sensible driver in game though. I've got the firewalker pack for ME2, but haven't got around to trying it yet.

14. firehawk12

I think for most people it introduced too much downtime, because it just became rather difficult to go from one spot to another with the canyons and mountains that were all over the place.

15. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I never really felt the issue was so much with the Mako. It was mostly the landscapes that became annoying. Trying to find just the right slope on a mountain to get to a crash probe got old real fast.

16. LeadHead

^exactly. The Mako itself was good but the same empty planet with a different color on the ground, just wasn't what exploring the galaxy should be.

I think they've moved in a slightly better direction making it so that the side planets have their own unique maps, rather than the same engineering outpost. PLanet scanning is signifigantly less painful and boring with the new update, still could be improved upon though.

17. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok, I'm VERY late to the party on this game, just got the 360 version of this Monday. ($20 new at Hastings, sweet deal!) So I get it installed and played to the first save point the first night and I didn't have time to continue.

So I come home last night, discovered my cable and internet were both down, so I'm okay no big deal, ME2 time. So I fire up the 360 and try to play and it's telling me that it can't connect to Xbox Live(internet is down) therefore it can't continue and I have to sign out of my profile. So I do that and restart. Now it's telling me that it can't save my game progress since I'm not signed in under a profile. (Imagine my :klingon: at this point)

So I'm sure this has been answered but I don't have the time to go through all 47 pages of this thread. So do you have to be connected to the internet to play this game? If not, WTF was I doing wrong? Granted my internet is back now and shouldn't be an issue for me, but it annoyed me greatly that I can't play a frickin' game on the 360 when not connected to XBL.

18. firehawk12

You should be able to sign in as offline though. I'm not sure why it'd make you go online anyway.

19. LeadHead

oooooooooooooo, you should still be able to sign into your Profile on your Xbox even while offline. My Xbox was disconnected from the internet for a full 3 months a couple of years ago and I could still log into the profile, I just had to have it work offline, it continued to save my progress in games and stored achievements as I went, once the internet issues were worked out, I logged back into Xbox Live, and all was well/

20. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well when I fired it up, it game me an error message about not being able connect with something or another on the network, and that I had to sign out of my profile. Which lead to me not being able to save my game progress.

Frankly my experience thus far as not been an overwhelming positive one, so I guess I'm a little disgruntled to begin with. The games come in two discs and as best I can tell, there was NOTHING in the manual instructing you about starting the game up. Logically, one would think you would start with Disc 1. 1 means first, right? Put that in. Nothing. It just set there with the xbox 360 logo and a white screen. So I let it set for a long time and finally decide to put in Disc 2. Which apparently is the startup disc, EXCEPT it spins for a lit bit, runs some stuff on the screen, loads a XBL update, and then promptly tells me to put Disc 1 BACK in the 360. And then finally the game gets going. I play until a save point, but now it's time call it a night.

Which brings me to the next night and my problems with the sign in while my internet was down. Not really winning me over at this point.