Star Wars TCW 1x22 "Hostage Crisis" - Discuss/Grade

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Mar 19, 2009.

?

Grade "Hostage Crisis"

1. Excellent

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Above Average

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. Average

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  4. Below Average

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Season Finale (I wonder how it'll do against BSG)...

2. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Wookiepedia says that Aurra Sing IS appearing in tonight's episode.

3. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interesting. Although I thought that maybe they would be trying to free Wat Tambor- who got captured in the last episode.
    Oh well, at least it will be cool to see Ziro (Capote) again- maybe?
    The episode looks cool and it will be interesting to see how Cad Bane stacks up against Boba Fett. It's unfortunate that we probably won't get to see a showdown between them both at some point- given Boba's age at the time of the Clone Wars.

4. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I reallllly hope that by the time this series comes to an end, one of the latter episodes will feature a mid teen Boba Fett impersonating a Clone Trooper to hunt some Jedi. I feel that could be a really cool episode.

Having said that, Ziro on the other hand is not cool. Not one bit. Why does this show flip flop so much?

5. JediKnightButler

Well, he may not be a "cool" character per se but I thought that he was certainly more- how shall we say- "colorful" characters in the show so far, at least more interesting than some of the characters we've seen so far. I thought it was also interesting that he was purposely modeled after Truman Capote. That's just my $0.02 anyway.

In regards to Boba Fett, I don't think that he is more than 11 y.o. by the end of the Clone Wars- which isn't to say of course it wouldn't be cool to see him in action. :techman: He would probably be much more likely to show up in the live action series- if that ever comes to fruition.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  6. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

So how many people watched?

7. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

The season finale turns out to be...Die Hard in the Courasant Senate Building? Wow. All that was missing was Anakin crawling through the air shafts, while talking to Reginald Vel Johnson over the comms... :rolleyes:

8. JediKnightButler

I watched it. I thought it was good but was kind of surprised that it ended up being somewhat of a cliffhanger. It was also another episode where it looks like the bad guys "won". From the teaser for the next episode (which we have to wait until fall to see- arrgh!!!), it looks like there's going to be a big showdown with Bane with Ashoka getting caught up in the battle as well.
    One thing that I was kind of confused about was that I didn't realize that Ziro had been imprisoned by the Republic. It was my understanding from the "movie" that Jabba had stated that he would "deal" with him, so I assumed that he had perhaps had Ziro executed for his role in the kidnapping plot.
    It was nice that they finally showed some more personal interaction between Anakin and Padme, something that has been lacking from the series so far.
    The bounty hunter gang was pretty cool and I loved that they included Aurra Sing, a character who has been referenced in the Star Wars universe (and even has a databank section) but has never been onscreen (well, unless you count her "cameo" in TPM- which I don't)

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know Aurra Sing from much more than the TPM cameo but it was good to see her put that big-ass rifle to use. Shooting guys in the back no less!

As for Cad Bane, I never got around to playing my copy of Oddworld Stranger's Wrath, but now I might have to fire it up.

Padme looked different to me tonight than her previous appearances, just the hair/outfit or have they tweaked the model?

10. Mr Nighttime

Mr Nighttime Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Couldn't watch because I was watching BSG.

Now after reading this thread, I am glad I stayed away.

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Watched it this morning. I was annoyed at how they made Anakin look like a complete chump who is useless without a lightsabre, especially at the hands of a bunch of bounty hunters.

Ever since the original trilogy, Star Wars has had a habit of endowing bounty hunters with some sort of magical aura. I thought that had come to an end when Mace Windu unceremoniously sliced Jango Fett's head off in Attack of the Clones.

12. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Just watched it now because I was watching the BSG finale yesterday. That was great btw.

Really enjoyed Hostage Crisis. Cad Bane looks to be a great new addition to the SW Universe and they set him up nicely as a character. Nice to get the introduction of Bail Organa into this series, and Aurra Sing too. Enjoyed the moody design of the Senate Building. Also, I was glad to see the return of Ziro the Hutt. I found him funny in the CW movie. Good ending with the bad guys finally winning one...

Some flaws in this episode to be sure. How Padme ended up with Anakin's lightsaber was stupid. She couldn't tell Bail Organa to wait ten seconds or drop the damn thing when he wasn't looking? Also, Anakin "The Chosen One" Skywalker was way too weak without his lightsaber. He could have used the Force to open that door.

Let's see....you have Bane snapping a guy's neck and Ziro discussing the horrors of prison. Not exactly kid's stuff. ;)

I'm sorry the first season is over. Season 2 can't come fast enough.

13. JediKnightButler

LOL. That scene from AOTC was so sudden and unexpected- and oddly enjoyable for some reason- that it caught me off guard when I first saw it. Yeah, I kind of thought that Anakin seemed a bit on the weak side w/o his lightsaber but then again he was up against quite a few professional bounty hunters at one time and he WAS distracted by Aurra Sing at the time that he got jumped by that one bounty hunter. Also, it's important to remember Jedi aren't invincible and have never been shown as such- for which I'm glad. It makes their ultimate downfall in ROTS more believable. Anakin, Obi-Wan, and other Jedi have been shown to be able to be captured, defeated, and even killed many times throughout the series. The Clone Wars series has even shown that Dooku, Grievous, and members of the Separatist Council aren't invincible or incapable of being defeated, captured, etc. True, we all know the fates of all of the characters (we see) in ROTS but it's still nice that the writers of the Clone Wars series show the trials and tribulations that each of the characters went through to get there. In regards to the Jedi specifically, one-on-one the Jedi seem to generally be at a tactical advantage and superior position but against multiple enemies at one time they CAN and have been brought down throughout the series. How many Jedi died in AOTC at the hands of the Separatists' massive droid army? Quite a few as I remember.

14. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Anakin isn't just some Jedi, he's supposed to be the most powerful of them all. He didn't use the force once. Jedi are more than just guys with fancy swords.

This is the same guy who was pulling things off walls and hurling them at Luke while still fighting him - and that's after his abilities were diminished by his injuries.

15. JediKnightButler

Don't forget casually gunning down the Senator who tried to walk off when Bane and his crew first entered the *west wing* of the Senate. Pretty intense stuff. But they warned us it was going to start getting dark(er). I can't wait!!! I've been pretty impressed how the writers have largely refused to pull punches with the show so far. I do hope that they figure out some kind of resolution for Ashoka's character by the end of the series, as well as start taking Anakin in a "darker" direction as well.

16. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Lightsaber thing was rather stupid and Anakin seemed remarkably uncreative without it. The whole "My lightsaber is yours" bit seemed a little too tongue-in-cheek to me, but maybe that's just my dirty Freudian mind.

Cad Bane was no disappointment though, nor was Aurra Sing. Her sharp shooting from the tower and then execution style kill of the Republic guard made her one bad ass B. That and the Cad Bane neck snap, as Darth Pipes mentioned, definitely made me question the kiddie angle. A lot of things in this first season have done that. (Edit: Oooo. forgot about the Senator shot in the back thing. Good call butlerd. Those 3 eyed goat-senators can't win for losing can they?)

I'm thinking Ziro was imprisoned by the Republic because he was based on Coruscant and was dealing directly with the Separatists. Maybe crimes against the state trump extradition charges for kidnapping in Hutt territory. Perhaps the Republic promised to return him after the war, especially since they have such a nice new treaty with Jabba. Funny thing is... I thought maybe Jabba was the one who hired the bounty hunters just so he could "deal with him" personally. If Ziro can't pay up, that might be the case. ;)

I would give it an excellent for sheer entertainment, but it seemed Anakin was effectively neutered without his lightsaber, and it was just such a poor plot device I'll have to go with above average.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  17. JediKnightButler

Anakin *the chosen one* still isn't *perfect* Sometimes, he gets a bit reckless and overconfident and gets himself (and others) in trouble as we've seen time and time again in the movies and Clone Wars series. That's how he lost his one hand to Dooku in AOTC not to mention got totally dismembered by Obi-Wan in ROTS. Things weren't perfect for him even after he became Vader although until Luke (or Galen/Starkiller if you consider "The Force Unleashed" canon-which I don't) he never really had any serious opponents or was without the Imperial army/stormtroopers backing him up.

18. DarthPipes

I give them a lot of credit for not holding back on the violence. This is a war series after all and that's how it's being portrayed. You have clones getting sucked out into space, beheadings, civilian villages being firebombed, impalings, guys getting their necks broken, execution-style shootings, etc. You didn't even see some of this stuff in the movies.

Though the human toll is being felt by the good guys. The only bad guys who get killed are the droids. Though that Nemoidian admiral was originally supposed to be killed during the first part of the Ryloth trilogy but GL liked him and might want to use him again.

As for the end of Clone Wars, Ahsoka's fate definitely has to be addressed. Whatever happens, I would assume she's out of the picture long before ROTS. There's also the matter of Captain Rex. Will he follow Order 66 or will he go rogue.

I'm personally hoping he goes rogue and it sets up a final confrontation between him and Cody. Like Obi-Wan vs Vader, except Anakin's clone trooper is on the good side and Obi-Wan's clone trooper will be on the bad side. Don't you think that would be a great idea?

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yes, he did. He used the Jedi Mind Trick to persuade the bounty hunters to search the other floors.

And wasn't there a moment when he used Force telekinesis to take the gun from one of the bounty hunters?

Oh, I think there was some definite sexual innuendo. The position of his lightsaber relative to his body when he was offering it to her and she put her hand on it... down below his waist and angled upward... it was pretty blatant.

20. DarthPipes

When Anakin snuck up behind that assassin droid, he should have used the Force to slam him against the wall and be done with it. Engaging in hand-to-hand combat with a strong droid is about as stupid a tactical decision as you're going to get.