Wii U launches on November 18th

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kelthaz, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nintendo kicks off the 8th generation next week with their oddly named Wii U console. Nintendo dominated with their widely mocked motion controls last generation, so will they continue this trend with their tablet controller and asynchronous gameplay? Yeah, I doubt it too.

Is anyone here planning on picking up a Wii U this year? I haven't seen too much excitement or interest in the Wii U either online or offline, so I'm very curious to see how the system does at launch.

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The only name dumber than Wii is Wii U and I honestly think the name might hurt them a little bit. Just Call it Nintendo 8, or N8 and be done with it.

3. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I think what made the first one so successful was its simplicity. They managed to tap into markets that no other console had managed to do before because it was so simple to just pick up and play, including folks in long-term care facilities. That was unheard of and there's no other console that can lay claim to doing that. I fear that the tablet will actually add a layer of complexity that will make it less accessible to the new markets it had created.

4. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I find the launch line-up of games to be very lacking, so I feel no reason to buy. I think that this is their greatest mistake and what will handicap the Wii U for quite some time. Wii had a great pack-in game with Wii Sports, and there was also Super Mario Galaxy which was innovative and very entertaining; Wii U just really has nothing that grabs you. 8-bit Super Mario Bros. retread? Seriously; that's the best they could come up with?

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I might pick one up next christmas once I've had the chance to see what sort of gaming library they are building up.

6. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I personally haven't owned a Nintendo since the NES (my younger brother had an N64, one of their better offerings) and so far I don't see any reason to break that streak. The only two titles that interest me so far are Mass Effect 3 and Arkham City, both of which I already own and I see no need to repurchase them for a new system. Perhaps later on, they'll have more games that warrant buying a whole new game system, but if it's just better looking wii games, than I'm not interested.
    When I play games, I want to use a controller, preferably a 360 controller.

7. Kelthaz

I agree with this. With Wii Sports, all you had to do was pretend to throw a bowling ball and your character would do so on screen. Any non-gamer could pick it up and understand the controls perfectly within seconds. That's not the case with the Wii U. Even hardcore gamers will need some time to get comfortable with the new controls.

The only audience I can see for this system are the diehard Nintendo fans. There's enough of them out there to keep a console profitable (for example the Gamecube), but that's a huge step down from the universal appeal of the Wii. Of course, I could be wrong. I had the same doubts about the Wii back in 2006.

8. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

they had one set up at the game stop here, noticed it during the Halo 4 pre release, not impressed with the tablet controller

9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, exactly. I think what we have as a result of the Wii U is Nintendo failing to understand their own market. I think they had found a sweetspot, managing to balance both hardcore gaming and casual gaming, enticing non-gamers to the console, and they were in a really good place. The Wii's in nearly every home due to its accessibility, something that wasn't the case since the Atari 2600. With the Wii U, it seems as though they've turned their backs on a huge part of the success of the Wii.

I remember when they were developing the Wii. The Gamecube wasn't selling as well as they'd hope and they wanted to come up with something that would save them financially, and I believe they needed it quickly. They likely succeeded beyond what they imagined, and what they had done was sheer brilliance. It might not have had the best hardware, but it had appeal.

I have no problem with the Gamecube, but the Wii was special. It wasn't a regular console. With the Wii U, it seems like they're falling back onto old-school thinking with a traditional console in terms of appeal. I think if Nintendo had been smart, they'd have made the tablet optional with the standard Wii motion controllers as default, and the tablet mandatory for some more advanced games for the hardcore gamers. It will be interesting to see how well it sells, but I'm not expecting it to sell out everywhere and be hard to get a hold of.

Btw, I think everyone had doubts about the Wii as it was something brand new and nobody knew what to expect. Nintendo had a lot to prove.

10. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Super Mario Galaxy didn't come out until a year after the Wii came out. I'm not sure why you're complaining about New Super Mario Bros U, it looks like a great new Mario platformer and New Super Mario Bros Wii was one of the best 2D Mario games.

Also 2D Mario games are extremely popular, that's most likely the main reason NSMB U is a launch title for the Wii U. New Super Mario Bros for the DS sold almost 30 million copies and New Super Mario Bros Wii sold more then 26 million copies. Both casual and hardcore gamers love 2D Mario, so it makes sense to get it out as soon as possible for the Wii U.

It's also extremely unlikely Nintendo could of had a 3D Mario ready for the Wii U launch. EAD Tokyo were working on 3DS games like Super Mario Land 3D and OoT 3D last year. They wouldn't of had enough time to get a 3D Mario ready for launch.

11. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I have a Wii U ordered but I got it ordered when Amazon had a price mistake (I assume) up and had the Deluxe Pack at £199. If they cancel it it'll be a shame but I won't be rushing out to buy it at full price. I ordered New Super Mario Bros. U from Shopto as well, so I hope if they're going to cancel my order they do it in time so I can cancel the order from there.

12. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone get theirs? I'm firehawk12 if anyone wants people to add. lol

13. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

14. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

I was always a diehard Nintendo guy growing up, but I may wait on the Wii U.

15. Ood Sigma

Ood Sigma Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, it'll probably be a while before I get one. Honestly the only game that interests me is right now New Super Mario Bros. U. Once there's a new Zelda game and/or a couple other interesting titles I may pick one up. Probably not at least for a year. My XBox 360 keeps me plenty happy.

16. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

As a upgrade to the Wii it looks fantastic, but that launch price is a bit steep for me so i will wait....But dont take too long ninty.

17. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Just make sure your power supply is good and stable for the 4 hour/ 5GB firmware update on loadup, or you'll have a thoroughly bricked system.

And better have a portable HDD hooked up, or you'll have next to zero onboard storage after it.

18. Kelthaz

$300 to play a new 2D Mario game is a little steep for me. I can just download a random rom hack of Super Mario World instead for free. Besides, New Super Mario Bros. 2 left a bad taste in my mouth. As for ZombiU and Nintendo Land? Meh.

I've always been a Nintendo fan, so I'm sure that the Wii U will be worth buying eventually when the inevitable high quality Nintendo games hit the console. But it is not this day.

19. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Ouch!!!.lol

And over wireless as well. :(

Although i bit of surfing seems to indicate the update is closer to 1.5gig than 5 gigs......although even at that it's still a scary update for your new expensive console.

20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The operating system shipped is 4.2GB, the update is 4.7-5GB but it overwrites most of the existing OS making it 1.5GB larger or 5.7 in total, leaving the 8GB Basic model with only 2 or so left to fit anything on.