Ridiculous Injuries

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Spot's Meow, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

I as scrubbing out the coffee pot a few months ago and my wrist put some pressure on the lip of the pot and shattered it, I now have a scar on my wrist, joy. There as also the time when I as 8 shooting a bb gun at a friend's house at a target propped up against a barn 15 yards out, I hit the bulls-eye, smiled at my accomplishment just in time for my 2 front teeth to catch the ricochet.

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

About two months ago I was making tea and reached across the kettle right after it had boiled, forgetting what I was doing, steam burned/melted about a square inch of skin off my hand. It still looks a bit weird.

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I broke a toe while dancing when I bumped into the couch. That hurt like hell for weeks.

4. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^I broke a toe too, 3 or so years ago. I was running through the house barefoot. My mom had left a 15lb dumbbell on the living room floor.

5. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

What were you smoking when you were pregnant with him? :lol:

What, no pictures?

I tripped in my bedroom when I was maybe 6 or 7. I hit the corner of the dresser with the side of my nose, less than a 1/2" from my eye. This too could've been much worse than a few stitches & a light scar.

6. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Last year I broke two fingers on my left hand taking a bad fall during jujutsu practice. I got some minor injuries over the years (ribs, nose, a list of bruises too long to write), but that was the worst, and totally self-inflicted.

I also broke my upper front teeth four times when I was kid. First time, falling face-first from my bike. Second time, being headbutted by another kid playing soccer (unwillingly: we were jumping at the same time to hit the ball). Third time, hitting face-first a closed door while running in dark (ouch). Fourth time, biting into some hard chocolate. It didn't even hurt, all I could think was "oh no, not again!" :alienblush:

7. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I cut my thumb on my other thumb.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Damn, that european chocolate is brutal.

9. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

High School baseball, squared around to bunt a 90 MPH fastball only I ended up bunting the ball off of my knee which in turn ricocheted off my mouth chipping four teeth and splitting both lips. All I remember is the umpire saying "oh my God" as I spit blood on the plate. I had to go to the ER for the damage to my knee and then swing by the dentist later to repair the mouth damage. Ridiculous.

10. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds familiar. I chipped my front teeth slipping on sand on the playground. One filling took; the other had continual repairs over the next 20 years.

I broke two teeth (top and bottom) on a frickin' tortilla chip--both had to be crowned. The dentist said he had patients break teeth on marshmallows!

Another time, Hubby and I were moving and I was packing boxes. I packed one box too heavy, but instead of changing things, I just pushed it across the carpet. A hall cabinet/closet door was open and I ran the top of my head into it. There was a lot of blood running everywhere. I called my parents, they took me to the ER--I got three staples into my head to close the 0.5 inch by 1.5 inch unevened-edged gouge in my head. I still have a dent and a soft spot there, 13 years later.

I seemed to have caused odd injuries, too:

One time, I threw a small pillow at my sister. She jerked her hand up to block it. Unfortunately, she had a salt shaker in her hand, one that had a point on it. It got her in the head and bleed like crazy. She freaked out at the blood. Tiny little puncture. My mom says only my sister could get so hurt from a pillow.

Another time, my sister and I were having a disagreement (well, a non-physical fight) in our shared bedroom. Our beds were at right angles at a corner of the room, so that corners of the beds were touching. She threw a punch. I took an opened-handed swipe--with my nails, my very short but very sharp nails. Got her on the inside of her elbow. She started bleeding in three red stripes. She freaked out (again!), but then she was always a drama queen.

11. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I too have had a few bicycle calamities. One of them wasn't really "stupid", just an unfortunate accident: I was about 8 years old and flying down a hill in a bicycle race, when I turned to look behind me and see how far ahead I was. There was a recently repaired hole in the road just before a manhole cover that had become indented from cars driving over it. My front wheel went right through the same spot, hit the lip of the manhole edge, and I went flying like a catapulted rock, landing on the pavement head first. I was a bloody mess with a concussion. Yeah, this was before the days of mandated bicycle helmets. Hence, I always wear them now.

The one I'd consider "stupid" was when I was cycling with a friend and I tried to get close to him to draft. I was fine for a while until he started slowing and unexpectedly moved slightly to his right. His rear tire rubbed up against my front tire. Before I could even react, my bike suddenly fell over to the right sending me face first into the pavement (deja-vu). I still have two visible scars from the incident, across my chin dimple (a little like Harrison Ford... ;) ) and under my right eye. Thankfully over time they have "muted" a bit and so I don't look like I've had a rough life. :lol:

12. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Here's my "Falling down the stairs story" (apologies to all that have heard this before):

We had just moved into our new house about 7 years ago, in the summer. I had applied for a job (the one I have now) but hadn't heard back and had a few weeks with little to do. I decided I would go out and pound the pavement, visit a few local shops and see if I could get a job. So, to do that, I need to have a nice outfit, so laundry had to be done.

I was carrying a basket of clothes down to the laundry room when some underwear fell out. I picked them up and put them back in. Just as I approached the stairs, some fell out again. Frustrated, I thought "I'll just kick it down the stairs and pick it up when I get there." So I attempted to do this, but managed to put my foot through the strap of a bra, so when I went to kick the clothes as I stepped forward, the hooks in the bra caught in the thick carpet. The momentum sent me flying down the seven or eight stairs, making a perfect arc, all while still holding on to the plastic laundry basket. Just before I hit the landing, I thought, "If I don't let go, I'll break my wrists." So, I let go and landed on the rectangle, Rubbermaid laundry basket. It was already torn on one side, so under my considerable weight, it smashed out flat like a daisy.

Shaken, I tried to stand up, but it felt like there was a nail going through the top of my foot. I scooted on my butt down the other 7 or 8 stairs and grab a phone to call hubby. He took me to the hospital, where it turns out I broke my ankle and my foot.

While at the hospital, they had to try to push my foot back into place, so they could wrap it in a soft splint. I'm yelling "Ow, ow, ow" and hubby's calling me a big wuss and telling me to suck it up. The doctor looks at us and says, "You must be married."

"How can you tell?"

"Boyfriends will pretend to care."

So, this was my avatar at one time:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  13. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Concrete-flavoured is my favourite.

Yeah, it was probably the same reason.

14. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow... what a story, auntiehill! You're very lucky you didn't end up worse (I've heard of people snapping their spines when falling down a flight of stairs). When they called you in for an interview, did you have to postpone it?

15. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I was once doing nitrous oxide, stumbled into the door jamb, and broke my toe.

College was awesome.

:techman:

16. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Nope. Luckily, the job I have now is working from home on my own computer. :bolian:

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

There are only two silly ones I can remember, one was at night when it was dark and a friend of mine and I were being chased by my sister for some reason and I grabbed onto a pole in the backyard and didnt let go quickly enough, had a broken wrist in a cast for 17 days. The second one makes me laugh to this day...I was on a garage rooftop with a friend and my dad didn't allow us there. When I saw my mom coming home from a walk to the store, we both tried to make a quick exit off the roof, he climbed down, I jumped and landed on a stack of pipes and poles that were standing against the wall, one pole tore through the pants between my legs, coming close to my you-know-where. Probably the only girly scream I ever let out.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  18. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i've broken both wrists on two occasions. and both times from falling off bicycles.

19. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Spiral fracture in my left leg at the age of 7 from jumping out of a treehouse and missing a pile of sand.

A few months later, slipped on wet grass and rebroke the leg in the same spot.

Just shy of fourteen, I had a lateral malleolus fracture requiring surgery to repair the damage. That involved teasing the class idiot, tripping on a tarp over the gym floor (quarter inch of foam rubber over concrete) and wearing tights and penny loafers.

At 24, I stepped out of my front door, misstepped onto the welcome mat, rolled the ankle and broke the right foot in two places. I heard the pop and remember the moment of impact. Painful.

It turns out that I could never fall in such a way to minimize impact because I was born with too straight of legs. I'm naturally off-balance which means a fall that might just mean a sprain is likely going to mean a break for me. I had been known as the family klutz, but after that discovery not long after I turned 29, I was no longer the klutz! :)

I twisted my arm by swinging on a tree branch and falling and twisted the same arm later by falling in gym class when we were roller skating.

ETA: Oh yes... Carpal Tunnel Syndrome by marathon crocheting.

20. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

A few years ago I went out for food and drinks before Christmas with work colleagues. We all went out after, but after drinking too much, I ended up separated from them. And then after drinking too much, I kind of woke up the next morning with a broken hand and dislocated wrist. However, I was still drunk enough to attempt to go to work; I was more worried that I was late, rather than my hand being in a mess. I worked for about an hour before giving up. I was so impaired I didn't realise how bad it was. Such an idiot. :o

I still have no idea how I did it to this day, but my stupidity when drunk is unmatched.