DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^
    I do like the idea of seeing black suited Batman alongside blue/gray suited Batman (Dick?). I wasn't reading the title but I thought both were in black when Bruce came back(from RIP) just the chestpiece was different.
    Not to unlike having Red & Green Hulk together. Now if only we could separate out the identity of Gray Hulk like they've done with Bruce/Hulk, and have all three as separate, in the main title but I digress

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bruce is in his Batman, Inc suit. Dick's Batman suit in Batman, Inc was blue and gray. In Batman and Robin it was more darker. I suppose the colouring has changed. I like the contrast as well. This is also the finale as Stephanie Brown's tenure as Batgirl.

Batman, Inc of course is the sequel book to Morrison's "Batman and Robin" run. It would appear that he's ignored New 52 events or that DC editorial has allowed him to continue his story. Note that the DC Comics logo does reflect the New 52 colour scheme and this book didn't return with the original New 52.

3. Captain Craig

Oh, yeah switching gears.

Read Swamp Thing #4 last night. I'm really digging on this title even if the multipile, cross generational revelation of the Swamp Thing is taking some getting used to. Alec and Abby doing their cross country heroics to stop little Arcane has thus far been a fun read. Another mention of "the Red" that plays into the Animal Man title. I'm wondering if next issue will wrap this or if it's going to be 6 issues. Some nu52 intro arcs have been less (like Frankenstein). An editorial did say they were going to go for more 2,3,4 issue arcs but I've not seen many as of yet.

4. Admiral_Young

5. Captain Craig

Their current logo has grown on me but with an "all new" universe now is as good a time as any to rebrand your logo I suppose.

I agree I thought the 'swoosh' look had been around longer than it has.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I dunno if a new logo is called for, but I've never been of the mind companies need to constantly change their logos. Tweaks in design, different fonts and stuff, sure. But full changes?

Nah. Don't see the need. It's not like DC's sales would change with a new logo, who's looking at DC's books and saying, "Man! I'd love to buy this comic but that "swoosh" logo? I dunno...."

7. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honestly, I was surprised that they didn't have one ready to go with the launch of Justice League #1. At this point, I think it's a little silly, but it would have made sense August/September to differentiate the comics with more than just the "New 52" banner.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. IMO if they were going to change it, they should have done it with the launch of The New 52. At this point IMO it's kinda too late.

9. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I miss the bullet. :(

10. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Me too.

11. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd prefer that the bullet missed me.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't have resisted either... if you hadn't beaten me to it. :lol:

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Pulls tomorrow:

Batman
    Catwoman
    Supergirl
    Wonder Woman

14. Admiral_Young

Batman, Incorporated Levithian Strikes
    Batman
    Justice League
    Supergirl
    Wonder Woman

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So have they moved the Leviathan story into the New 52 then, or is it still in the pre-Flashpoint universe?

16. Admiral_Young

Or Morrison is ignoring the New 52 would probably be the better option. We really don't know. The book does have the Batman books New 52 colour scheme swoosh and we do know that all the Batman books retained their continuity. I personally look at this as taking place alongside the other books. Perhaps an interview with Morrison will clarify.

17. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

But will it ignore The Last Stand? That's the real question.

18. Admiral_Young

Morrison always ignores the Last Stand my friend.

19. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But what if The Last Stand didn't ignore Morrison? Surely it would have been infinitely improved by Xavier having a twin whom he ate in the womb, Magneto somehow successfully pretending to be a Chinese guy, Beast getting possessed by a living, sapient drug, and time travel.

20. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't it actually a Chinese guy pretending to be Magneto pretending to be a Chinese guy?