NCC-1701 USS Enterprise Deck by Deck - WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by havoc92, Jan 18, 2010.

1. havoc92

havoc92 Commander Red Shirt

Ok, update for this afternoon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

profile and top down on the altered skins. I don't like them.
    Moreover, I'm liking Franz Joseph less and less. lol.

The alteration attempts on the skins have essentially failed.
    Denting is apparent in the aft section in multiple places. And the angles of the curves along the back are so restrictive as to make scaling and minor alterations impractical. It took me weeks early on to get the skins ironed out, clean and dent free. So, I don't know how long this is going to take. When I did it the first time, I there was a lot that I didn't know about max. So, cross your fingers.

2. havoc92

Lol.

Mistreaper, Thank you.

And Saquist, My next project is likely to be somewhat less involved. I have to build the statue of Jayne from Jaynestown. Have to. Lol.

3. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

So Havoc, what are you trying to accomplish here? A complete rationalization of the interior arrangement and volumetic space of a Constitution class starship (esp. as envisioned by the estimable Franz Joseph Schnaubelt)? Or are you planning on secretly building your own Constitution in orbit (shades of Michael Lonsdale as Drax from Moonraker spring to mind)?

Because (and it bears repeating), good googly moogly! You've definitely got the level of detail required for either! I salute your patience and attention to detail, sir.

4. Mistreaper

Mistreaper Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It's just getting better, i'd like to see do this kind of work for both the A and from the new movie as will, but it's up to you man nice job.

5. Ronson2k10

Ronson2k10 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Very ambitious and awesome work. When I do interiors from an exterior model I usually just concentrate on one section of the ship. Your taking the whole ship on. That's incredible. Going to be watching this one closely. Keep up the great work.

6. havoc92

LOL. I can here the theme music playing. "Where are you.. Why do you hide.."

Well, I really just wanted to learn max pretty thoroughly. And I think it's worked. I picked a subject matter I was interested in. Only intended to do the bridge really; but, hey.. along the way..

I decided to build her and I want a model that can be used for anything from minor caps to movie quality cg to gaming.. Why sell myself short. :)

7. havoc92

I've thought a number of times that I should have done the A; but, maybe in the future. ;) Still don't know if I like the new one. Looks like some overwraught 1930's italian air racer.. and I was never really a fan of italian designs. But, she might grow on me. Lord knows I hated the D when it first appeared.

8. havoc92

I'm hoping the detail work goes smoothly. I'm sure it will be interesting at this point. I found a new resource for reference material that looks promising. And boy do I have some cool stuff to work with now. :D

9. havoc92

ok, finally, the update for today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These turned out better than the original skins I made by far. I made them in less than an hour; so, guess my skills have drastically improved ;) the deck four outer walls now need to be trimmed to meet up to the new outer skins; but, otherwise, homestretch.

10. TowerPower

TowerPower Commander Red Shirt

So, once this task is done (and I know it will be done), is it possible to export your work into a "game level" format where walk-abouts cane be done? That is something I've wanted to have for a long time, but don't have the talent to take it on - don't even know how to start. What I'm talking about is something like the "Elite Force" mod for the Argas Effect.

11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Reading my mind! Would love to see something like this as well, if possible.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  12. havoc92

Actually, the intent was to export it for Oblivion and/or Unreal engines. ;)

13. TowerPower

TowerPower Commander Red Shirt

You would have to have a game to load it into, right? The Argas Effect used the Voyager: Elite Force game for mod. What game will your mod go into best?

14. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's Doug Drexler's interior for reference.

15. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure compatible that is with the FJ designs (which seem to be the primary inspiration here).

16. havoc92

The thought is appreciated; but, nope.. it isn't compatible.

Edit:

Thought I'd go ahead and throw in a progress report. The skins for decks 2-4 are trimmed to deck 4 now and in place. The dorsal skins have likewise been trimmed to both hulls and are in place. The poly count now is so high that I can't do an overview shot for the moment; so, I've begun phase 2. I'm cleaning her up starting with deck 7 - which happens to be the most bloated on polycount of all the decks. And it is sheer tedium! I'm making lots of headway; but, there are likely not to be any pics for a bit while I do this.

Along with this, I'm chopping main engineering and the shuttlebay from the several decks they're attached to and making them their own seperate mesh. I couldn't find a way to make that work otherwise for the purposes of the game engines; so, the decision there is pretty much made. It will be a differentiation between the base model and the game version.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  17. BrookeStephen

BrookeStephen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I like this cross-section... but I am biased...

[​IMG]

18. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey, in case you were wondering about the color of the original Enterprise, here's Doug Drexler's article about it. It could be helpful for you.

James

19. havoc92

Thank you!! There is also a link in there to the studio model restoration with TONS of pics. Hadn't seen that; but, the site hosting also has a restoration of the D7 studio model and tons of other stuff that should be quite useful in the future.

20. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain