Last Classic Who Story you watched

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Pindar, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Leonardo T. Dragon

Leonardo T. Dragon Commander Red Shirt

Always loved that line and that serial!

Just rewatched The Five Doctors this evening. Much more logical way to assemble multiple regenerations n in the 50th.

2. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Started Doctor Who 'The Pirate Planet', a fourth Doctor story, this mornin' via Netflix Instant.

This is the second serial in the "Key to Time" series with the Doctor, Romana I & K9.

3. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I've just seen the Tenth Planet, a second Doctor story in everything but name.

4. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Watchin' Doctor Who 'The Androids of Tara' via Netflix Instant.

Its another of the "Key to Time" stories with the fourth Doctor, Romana I & K9.

- edit -

And now I've got Doctor Who 'The Power of Kroll' via Netflix Instant.

This is the last of the "Key to Time" stories with the fourth Doctor & Romana I available, since the next episode is 'City of Death', the one filmed in Paris with Romana II. And I've seen that one before when a buddy loaned me his DVD copy a few years back.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Power of Kroll is my least favorite of The Key To Time. If you want to watch the remaining Key To Time Serials, and have no other way, check Dailymotion, you should be able to find all of Classic Who streaming there

6. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Yeah, 'The Power of Kroll' was not that good compared to the other three I was able to watch. It didn't even have K9!

:(

7. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    They work fine. I hadn't seen more than a couple of Peter Davison stories when the Five Doctors first aired, but I knew from the magazines that the companions were Tegan and Turlough. My PBS station was going to airing their stories fairly soon, so I knew what I had to look forward to.

Some of the Third Doctor's stories are really excellent. I especially liked "Inferno" where the Doctor travels to a parallel universe and meets evil counterparts to the Brigadier, Liz Shaw, and the other UNIT regulars. The two Peladon stories were really enjoyable as well, although I still have to laugh when I think of that stupid "secret" passageway that pretty much everyone knew about!

The 1996 movie, plot-wise, was utterly moronic. It made zero sense, and I can't figure out why the Gallifreyans would make it necessary for humans to be the only ones who could look into the Eye of Harmony (something that was never part of the TARDIS before). And no, Eric Robertson's version of the Master is definitely NOT normal for him. I really got spoiled, watching Roger Delgado and Anthony Ainley play the Master. They did such wonderful portrayals of the Master as suave, debonair, charming, and utterly ruthless and evil.

Pirate Planet is the first Doctor Who story I ever saw, and I have to admit, it was nearly the last. The only reason I kept watching was because I'd promised a friend to give the show an honest try. I found the next story, "The Stones of Blood" to be much better - I loved the character of Amelia Rumford!

You should really try to find The Armageddon Factor (the last story in the Key to Time sequence). It's really well done, and you have both Romanas in it (although in this one Lalla Ward is playing Princess Astra, and when Romana regenerates in Destiny of the Daleks, she chooses to take on Princess Astra's physical likeness as her own).

8. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

The enemy of the world.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

"The Time Monster"

10. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can get therapy.
    Actually, there's lots I love in it. It's just the whole is somehow awful despite that...

11. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I just finished Terror of the Zygons. It was a pretty good story. The loch ness monster was really low budget but that actually made it entertaining in a goofy way. The octopus aliens looked ok, but I didn't like the filter on their voices, it got a bit difficult to listen to a few times. Harry has left The Doctor/Sarah after this story, so it will be interesting to see how it goes without him. I thought he was ok, but I don't really care that he's gone. Next up in my Fouth Doctor viewing, whenever I get to it, is Planet of Evil.

12. Timewalker

Planet of Evil is a good one. :bolian:

My favorite Sarah Jane story of that period is Masque of Mandragora.

13. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Yeah, the story is a mess but the Master and his interaction with the Doctor makes up for it. Plus, I like the student commune setting where the Doctor assembles some makeshift thing and the hermit story he tells Jo when they're imprisoned. Plus, Atlantis!

14. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I watched Planet of evil today. It wasn't very interesting. It had a nice space jungle set, and one or two good moments, but overall it just wasn't very entertaining, which is the first time I can say that about a Fourth Doctor serial since I started watching them. Hopefully Pyramid of Mars will be better.

15. Timewalker

A lot of people like Pyramids of Mars. It's not one of my preferences, but to each their own. :)

16. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Watched Terror of the Zygons last night. About as good as a remember it but it suffers from a classic case of rubbish special effects. Pity because the episode two cliffhanger of The Doctor being chased by the Skarasen is a pretty cool idea ruined by the cheap effects. Nonetheless, it's always good to see The Brigadier, Sarah Jane, Harry, and Benton in action, especially in Scotland with lots of accents, kilts and bagpipes.

One possible error in regards to The Day of the Doctor: Broton tells The Doctor the reason for their invasion is because their homeworld was recently destroyed. Yet, that's exactly the same thing the Zygons are doing in The Day of the Doctor as a result of the Time War. Either the Zygons got a new homeworld or The Day of the Doctor retroactively made Terror of the Zygons a repercussion of the Time World and plays parallel to The Day of the Doctor.

17. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Day Of The Daleks Special Edition - actually the first time I've seen the story in four parts rather than the 90 minute VHS movie. Nice to hear it with proper Dalek voices!

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh I hate those 90 minute videos, although at least the Who ones make some sense, the Blakes 7 ones on the other hand...

19. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh I remembver now. Blake's 7: The Beginning cut straight from Blake's trial to the start of episode two, didn't it, missing the next 30 minutes.

20. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Day of the Daleks with the new dalek voices and new effects as well as the new extra filmed scenes, totally blown away by what they did here, it's just perfect in evey way yet it neve seems out of place.

Totally cracking dvd.