22nd century star clipper...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Warped9, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'm deviating somewhat from how I initially (several years ago) conceived the asymmetrical detailing. Initially part of the detailing was meant to be more Star Wars like in the amount of robot debris visible, but now while putting this to 3D I've decided to tone down that level of detailing to make the ship look more TOS like. I think I can do that while still having a measure of asymmetrical detailing yet keeping it more subtle.

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

An update. I think it looks best not to have too much variation of colour underneath.Now I can move on to the remaining few odds-and-ends of detailing before doing the signage and registry.

[​IMG]

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Some nicely detailed engineering units there, I could see them being modular for easy refitting and replacement as newer versions became available.

Are the larger units part of an earlier warp drive or independent sensor clusters?

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I hadn't given it that much detailed thought. My general idea was the aft underside parts (above the nacelle) were engineering systems components while those under the saucer were sensor clusters.

There's sufficient detail if you're viewing the ship from a distance, but if you get up closer, well, then I might go back and add a bit more finer detail---that's easy enough to do after the components are in place.

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

It is really coming to life. Thanx for the hyper-detail.

6. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

the underside groovy lined section looks like a giant heat sink to keep the warp core chilled! :)

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

What I was really thinking (beside it being a straightforward way of adding detail Was that the grooves along with what other detail I added there could be sufficient to provide interesting and suggestive shadows.

8. Lego Thrawn

Lego Thrawn Lieutenant Red Shirt

Very nice update... just the right amount of greebling, plus I like the camera angles you're using for the renders.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

There is a feature in SketchUp (I think it's called Match Photo) that allows you to manipulate the camera view so that you can match the object to a given scene---basically manipulating the views to create increased forced perceptive to line up with the scene's existing horizon. I've rarely used it as I feel comfortable to do the same thing manually by eye.

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Trying to get a better sense of scale. Here's a transparency of the star clipper superimposed over a copy of aridas' very nice Enterprise cross-section. This isn't meant to be exact because we could assume that the clipper's average deck height could likely be less than that of a 23rd century heavy cruiser. But from this I should be able to cobble together a rudimentary cross-section deck layout, and from that I can get more exact exterior dimensions. The comparison is based on a heavy cruiser of 947ft. length.

From this image we can see the star clipper's saucer will be about six or seven decks thick depending on average deck height. If we add in the decks in the aft section then we get a total of about ten or eleven decks. The hangar bay will be about half size (give-or-take) of a heavy cruiser's hangar bay.

[​IMG]

As is I've got the ship sized about as small as I'm comfortable with and if necessary I can scale it up a bit more.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Getting in some windows which gives a bit better sense of scale. As I said earlier upthread I don't intend to overdo the amount of windows. I think this should be about right. I might put a couple under the saucer.

[​IMG]

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

She does look better with minimal windows, any idea if the decks will be the same height as the 23rd century cruisers or a little thicker here and there for bulkier machinary?

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'm envisioning about nine or ten decks in total with perhaps two decks running through the narrowest part of the ship in the middle, and once you cross over into the aft section there are two decks above you. I don't see all the decks being exactly the same height.

The bridge isn't meant to be at the topmost dome---thats actually meant to be an extensive space sensor array with the bridge the bulge underneath it. Engineering is just above the nacelle support and there's meant to be heavy radiation shielding in that support pylon. Yeah, you can go down through the pylon and eventually into the nacelle itself, but only in an emergency with proper equipment or (preferably) when the warp engine is turned off.

This variant of the design is the science reconnaissance version so it would have minimal armament, but it does sport extensive sensor arrays all around the ship. Additional laser emitters and missile launchers could be added to a modified variant of this design. In that event the two variants might look quite similar from a distance. Eventually Starfleet (which doesn't exist yet as my impression is Starfleet comes into being in the early 23rd century) would learn that you could have a ship with both extensive sensor arrays and respectable armament.

Besides a flexible spaceframe that allows variants to be constructed with relative ease the main strengths of the clipper are speed and maneuverability---so when fully armed it makes for a decent combat vessel.

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Figuring out the signage.

[​IMG]

15. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice updates. Any particular intent behind the "SR" prefix?

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The "SR" was something I used initially for a non Trek idea I've worked on, but since my Trek stuff will likely never be accepted as official I carried it over. The "SR" simply means Space Registry.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  17. Praetor

Ah, ingeniously simple. ;)

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Gettin' there, folks. Gettin' there.

Here we are with some signage. At this point I can't think of adding anything else major. I want to go over it to see if it needs any little extra detail somewhere and then I give more serious thought to painting details. Also, at this point, I haven't "turned on the lights" yet, so to speak. I haven't made any elements such as windows, running lights or impulse engine into emitters yet to have lighting effects.

[​IMG]

19. Praetor

Looking great! :)

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

If I may say so I'm rather pleased with how this is coming out. I might quibble over some very small things, but overall I think it works well enough. The essential concept is the same as I had drawn all those years ago, but this version has detail better thought out than before. I admit it's also nice to see it in 3D.

I'm not sure what else I want to add in detail---I'll give it some thought---but I think I'm ready to think about painting more specific colours.

[​IMG]