What does a Yeoman do?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by RB_Kandy, Sep 17, 2012.

1. RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy Commander Red Shirt

After looking at navel ranks, yeoman isn't a rank, so I am assuming it isn't an actual rank in Star Trek either, but instead a function like engineer, chef, etc.

What does a yeoman do? And what kind of rank do they carry if any?

2. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

from what i've seen a yeoman seems to be the captains secretary. always taking notes oh and making coffee for the captain.

I could be wrong though

dont remember seeing one in tng and ds9 though.

3. Horta_Jr.

Horta_Jr. Ensign Red Shirt

Wears a mega-mini skirt, cries for Kirk to ogle her legs, then appears many (drunken) years later saying spiteful things like "Well, they had their BLACK girl, so, its all political.." and "They had another blonde, but she was Gene's girlfriend, so who do YOU think got to stay on the show??"

....Am I close? Far-off?

4. Hando

Hando Commander Red Shirt

5. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

In the Navy, Yeoman is a rate [MOS equivalent for our army friends.]
    In TOS, Yeoman is eye candy for the captain... and yeah, she makes coffee and stuff.

6. Horta_Jr.

Horta_Jr. Ensign Red Shirt

Was watching a UK docu called "Bring Back Star Trek" when I heard the ugly remarks.
    Whitney struck me as a VERY bitter person. Watch the interview for yourself and see if you can detect any bitterness, envy, and/or racist tones. I sure as hell did.
    (So bitter, in fact, that she outright SAID to the interviewer that the show "Ruined her life", and she hit the bottle, hard, for many years after.)

Oh - And along with the 'black' remark, she also called Nichelle's part on the show a 'glorified extra'. :sigh:

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

In addition to that, I figure Yeoman Rand was also Kirk's "batman," meaning all around personal servant. The less time a captain spends taking care of personal matters like housekeeping of his quarter, cleaning his uniforms and fetching meals/coffee, the more time he has to deal with ship's business and command descisions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_(military)

:)

8. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

Nothing. Except that this would be a very sparse discussion board if we were only allowed to address topics that were not covered somewhere else on the Web. ;)

9. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Yup. I figured that in "The Corbomite Maneuver," Kirk was used to having a male yeoman as his "Alfred" (to use a Batman reference), so he was uncomfortable suddenly having a pretty female yeoman suddenly taking that role and being aware of every single detail of his life both on and off duty.

KIRK: When I find the Headquarters genius that assigned me a female yeoman...

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Not "assigned me a yeoman," but "assigned me a female yeoman."

:)

11. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the US Navy an enlisted person's rank is a combination of their "rate" (petty officer 3rd class, petty officer 2nd class etc) and their "rating," which is their specialty. A yeoman starts out at Yeoman 3rd Class (petty officer 3rd class, pay grade E-4) and can go up to Master Chief Yeoman (master chief petty officer, E-9). They can even go up to warrant officer rank, at which level the specialty is called "ship's clerk."

In the TOS episode "Charlie X" Tina Lawton was introduced as "yeoman third class," which sounds very much like the USN usage.

In the US Navy the yeoman rating handles administrative, clerical and secreterial duties, correspondence, record keeping, etc.

Justin

12. RB_Kandy

I know Janice had a severe drinking problem for 20 years. I'm sure she may have said a lot of hurtful things when drunk.

I recently came across some excerpts of her book http://www.beyondspock.de/voices/excerpts_whitney.php
    It's a very good read. I might even buy her book after reading that.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

No, Janice didn't. Grace on the other hand did.

14. RB_Kandy

My bad. I slipped. I was thinking about the character, and the name just Freudian slipped in there.

15. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What does the yeoman do?

I think she does the captain.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

17. RB_Kandy

I shoulda seen that one commin'

18. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not proud about it.

19. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw that show too - it was far less awkward than Bring Back Dallas, which ironically, they did, so go Justin!

But you shouldn't view those comments as her only word on her Trek experiences as she was accosted by a mad Bristolian in a mall. She's been a lot more candid in other interviews, her comments were no doubt edited down, and most of the cast haven't had universally wonderful things to say about their time on the show either.

It's also probably fair to describe Nichelle's role as a 'glorified extra' at the time Grace was in the show as Grace had roughly equal billing with De Forest Kelly at that time while Nichelle was a day player. Uhura did benefit from Rand's absence and rose to greater prominence as a result, although actually some of Uhura's best scenes are also in those early episodes.

Most of the yeomen in TOS were little more than eye-candy, although some weren't bad in a fight. It's shame that Grace was treated so badly; I'd have liked to have seen her reprise her role in a few guest slots. She quit drinking after TMP but who knows, maybe if she'd had a role in the Tribbles episode she might have been asked back a few more times and regain a little more prominence in modern Trek lore.

20. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So basically, what Naomi Wildman wanted, as Captain's assistant. Spend all day bringing Janeway cups of coffee :)